First dance? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 24th, 2006, 08:52 AM   #1
Major Player

First dance?

I've never been quite sure how to tape the B&G's first dance and parent dances and avoid being intrusive at the same time. Just saw GE's highlight and it was quite impressive. But, the reception seemed to be pretty well lit. Most of the receptions I cover are dimly lit which makes zooming in problematical and camera lighting a necessity.

So, how do you get that close-up of the ring hand on a shoulder or that tear? Are you folks moving in tight, circling the subjects or staying on the perimeter? I've never been less than 10' from the couple but sometimes feel uncomfortable even at that distance. Do you ever get a cold look from Mom when she's dancing with her son?

I know we're all trying to do a job but I don't want to feel like an intruder. Any thoughts to share?
Bob
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 02:14 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I personally turn off the tally lamp on my camera so they aren't distracted by it. I've been fortunate enough to not have anyone seem upset or bothered by me taping them up close, but I suppose it could happen. I, too, normally don't get closer than 10 feet because you don't need much zoom to get in closer to them from that distance. Don't worry so much about being close to them; they'll probably figure that you know what you're doing and need to get certain shots. Of course, if their breathes are fogging up your lens then maybe you should back off. :)

-Michael

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques