2nd Cam suggestions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 2nd, 2006, 09:13 AM   #1
Major Player

2nd Cam suggestions?

I'm looking for a 2nd camera to compliment my VX2100. Will be used in ceremonies. I really can't afford another new VX and I'd like to avoid a used one if possible. (no guts I guess). Also, I don't want to keep putting a ton of money into SD right now.

I was looking into the panasonic GS series... any thoughts on these consumer 3 chippers? I just need something for cutaway shots and fillers.

Any other cam recommendations that blend well with a VX?

My concern is lighting and of course how much color correction I'll need to do in post.

Thanks!
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:46 AM   #2
Major Player

The gs series is fine for outdoor and well lit area's and will match somewhat well during those times. But don't fool yourself, you won't see ideal lighting very often and when there isn't enough light for the gs it will be an unusable cutaway shot if you want it to match even somewhat close to the vx.

I would look to buy a used vx 2000 or 2100 from someone selling theirs here on the dvinfo private classifieds, not the ebay route. Talk to the people over the phone before buying if you have any concerns about it because most people on dvinfo are legit and looking for an honest buyer.

Also, keep in mind that if your vx ever has a problem on the wedding day, the gs is no substitue. It would never cut it as a main camera if you're used to the vx. If you buy a used vx, you'll have a back up camera ready to take over should anything happen to the main unit.

If you buy the gs you'll some regrets. If you buy a matching vx, you won't look back.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:57 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey Rick,

You might want to check out the TRV 900 that's on sale here on the forum...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=66339

It's $750 and like the ad says, a workhorse. Also, I think Sony sells sub $1000 SD 3 chippers as well. Good luck.

Chris Watson
Watson Videography
Chris M. Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:32 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I have lowest end of Panny GS (120), and it certainly is no substitute for the VX2000 I also own.

Frankly, maybe you should be biting the bullet, and be considering rolling the VX to your second cutaway camera, and move up to the FX1 or the A1U, unless you just don't plan to go with and HDV in the future. Then, I agree a used VX would be the way to go.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 03:35 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks gents.

Yeah, I didn't have high hopes for the GS series.

If I get an FX1 you can bet the FX2 will be out the next day - gauranteed. :)

The TRV900 looks promising and they're hard to find.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques