Getting in with the Schools? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Getting in with the Schools?

I am considering approaching the schools in my area, to see if they would contract me to video their events (plays, choir events, etc.). However, I don't want to approach them unprepared, or without knowledge of what typical fees or agreements are. Is there a base rate that is charged for the event, plus a percentage of the amount of videos sold? If so, can I get some general information of what these amounts are?
Mike Begalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:56 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Oh well...

I take it that no one does schools.
Old May 8th, 2006, 10:43 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Schools

Mike,

First there is an issue of having peoples children shot and having dvds of them published without parental consent. There are issues schools have to deal with in this regard. Having said that, I shoot all kinds of school footage but then i teach videography as a module in a practical arts class. This kind of gets me in and allows us to do what you are talking about.
what are the laws about filming a public event and publishing? I shoot ceremonies and do not generally worry about it, but you could have issues.
A teacher should not allow their students to be filmed without parental consent, that creates a problem. Some people view these as poissible shopping lists.
We produce a school web site and I have about 15 % of the parents that do not want their children on ther web site. they all have to have waiver forms submitted before we can put them on the site!!

You could offer to make videos of events and offer a copy to the school and then perhaps offer some in the school news paper or such. I shoot regional basketball and provincials and made finale dvds for players and made myself enough to buy a new century lens and some other stuff. so it can be done, just treaed softly and do not be surprised that not everyone wants their kids in front of a the camera, and a suite could perhaps be filed.
In my case I do not think they can squeeze juice out of a dry lemon.\
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I can speak to the permission for filming children....

I have four of the little monsters and at the beginning of the year our school sends out a permission form stating that your child may be videoed ( ? ) or photographed during school functions.

Not sure about other schools though......
Michael Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:52 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Sometimes schools are hampered by copyright laws with musicals. I flimed a musical and I was told explicitley to NOT tell anyone what I was doing for fears of sanctions from the distributors of the musical.
John Brickner Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 03:37 PM   #6
Regular Crew

It may be an issue...not sure. However, through the course of all of my daughters high school years, just about every musical, pop fest, play, etc. that was performed, a video was offered by the school (for a nominal fee, of course). I, being a parent, supported this, until I realized that the quality of the videos were noticably below par. The video I was taking were better. And at the time, I was just a parent with a camera. Anyway, just recently, my 1st grade granddaughter brought home a flyer anouncing that their musical will be professionally taped, and a copy (for a nominal fee, of course) could be purchased. I'll have to check to see if her parents had to sign a consent form, but I don't think so. Also, I am curious to see what they mean by professional. I was unable to attend, but my wife said that the videographer was using a VX 2100 with a shotgun mike.
I'm sure that if there are any issues about what, who, and how to video for the school, that they will have the information for me. I was just looking for upfront information, especially about pricing, from someone who may have done it.
BTW, thanks for all the other input, as always, the more information, thoughts and ideas that are given, the better equipped it makes us to venture out into the business world.
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:07 PM   #7
Major Player

have done only 2 seasons (basketball) several soccer, never any problems. the parents who wanted a dvd, paid for it.

been taping also several school performances, but don't know what the school is doing with it.

as a parent and videographr, i allways see somebody with a videocamera running around.

greetings
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:39 AM   #8
Regular Crew

When you say that you did some performances for the school...was that pro bono or did they pay you? If you were paid, could you give me the details?
Old May 10th, 2006, 10:57 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Begalla
When you say that you did some performances for the school...was that pro bono or did they pay you? If you were paid, could you give me the details?

hello mike,

pay....yes profit...no
some money for the media/ lunch, and gas. that's it..and enough for me.

call that giving back to the community.

do i see a money making avenue in schools? no

greetings
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:27 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Yea... I didn't think it would sufice as a major source of income. Just looking for something to fill in the voids, and possibly use it for some marketing opportunity.

In this journey, I keep on seeing signs that say, "This way to Money Making Avenue", but never seem to get there. I'm sure it's just over the horizon.
Old May 12th, 2006, 12:44 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Mike,

I may be alone on this, but I love it when this season rolls around. The money is great! If you can get in with a few schools, even better. Another avenue to look at is the local dance school. I charge a flat fee to make sure I am covered just to show up. Then I take orders for the DVD's in advance. This way you don't print what you don't need. Then charge $10 to $15 per DVD. The flat fee is usually $100 to show up. But I have gotten $300 once. Good Luck.

http://www.southernwindsfilmfestival.com

http://www.phigmentphilms.com
James Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 12:46 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Mike,

I may be alone on this, but I love it when this season rolls around. The money is great! If you can get in with a few schools, even better. Another avenue to look at is the local dance school. I charge a flat fee to make sure I am covered just to show up. Then I take orders for the DVD's in advance. This way you don't print what you don't need. Then charge $10 to $15 per DVD. The flat fee is usually $100 to show up. But I have gotten $300 once. Good Luck.

http://www.southernwindsfilmfestival.com

http://www.phigmentphilms.com
James Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 06:40 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Thanks for the information. When you say you take order...Is that through the school, or do they refer the people to you. The little bit that I have heard about this subject, it appears that the school takes the orders and charges X amount and the videographer gets a percentage of that. Also, who do you approach in the school system, and are you contracted for specific performances?

Can you also tell me more details concerning dance schools?
Old May 14th, 2006, 09:42 AM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Begalla
Thanks for the information. When you say you take order...Is that through the school, or do they refer the people to you. The little bit that I have heard about this subject, it appears that the school takes the orders and charges X amount and the videographer gets a percentage of that. Also, who do you approach in the school system, and are you contracted for specific performances?

Can you also tell me more details concerning dance schools?
I am doing one next week for a school original opera. This is the third year in a row, that I am doing this for them.

I don't charge them any fee for the shoot itself, and charge $25 a piece for each DVD, which I get all of the money.

My contract states that I only shoot if I get a minimum preorders of 35 DVD's, 1 week before the shoot, additional DVD's can be ordered after the fact.

The school does all of the ground work for me, whcih includes, sending home flyers with the kids, 2-3 weeks before the performance and recieving the orders. Then cut me a check, which I pickup before the first perfomance.

I have never had a problem with this to date, as I generally get 50-100 DVD's per recital.
Old May 14th, 2006, 12:05 PM   #15
Major Player

Michael, how many cameras do you use to tape the performances? I would think 2 would be minimum.
Tom Tomkowiak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques