Filmed a jazz concert and now manager wants to buy the footage. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 11th, 2006, 08:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Filmed a jazz concert and now manager wants to buy the footage.

Hello again guys. I recenlty filmed a Jazz concert (which was amazing by the way) and now, a week later their manager (I'm guessing) contacted me and is interested in purchasing the footage. I am entirley new to this, so I am wondering what to do. I would like to present two options:

1. In the spirit of open source, if they were to make no profit what-so-ever from products using my footage, then I would donate it. IE: Free on a website, on PBS, et cetera. This way, I could also use the footage if I wanted to edit together my own copy and throw it on my website (for free). This is fine with me, and I don't really need help here.

2. In the spirit of paying off $12,000 in video/audio equipment bills, if they wanted to buy it and obtain the rights to it... what should I do? Should I charge them for the time it took, plus for the footage? It's good footage and the sound came out superb (with touch of enhancement). It was captured in widescreen on an XL2 and is also not that common "static shot" footage so common with event photography. In this case I'm estimating $300 for the time and $500 for the footage... but I'm entirley in the dark here.

Thanks again!
-Sam
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:28 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Since it sounds like you didn't originally film the concert as a hired videograper, it seems unethical to charge full price for the footage. However, I wouldn't give it away for free either. If you would have charged $800, I'd say half it with the understanding that you will also retain the footage for your own useage.
David Avedikian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:59 PM   #3
Major Player

i think charging them a "daily" camera op w/ DV gear fee: here in Los Angeles, you are hard pressed to get more than $450.00 per day for camera op w/ DV type gear ie xl2, pd170, dvx100 etc etc. plus the cost of tape stock.

this is fair.....and wouldn't hold them hostage for too much higher of a rate. explain that is the daily rate for cam ops, and it doesnt matter if it only took a few hours to shoot. i always charge a daily rate no matter if the shoot takes 2 hrs or 8 hrs.

i would not give them the footage for free, but also.....why were you filming the jazz group to begin with??? this could make a big differnce in your entire deal
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 09:14 PM   #4
Major Player

When you say you own the rights to it, do you have the rights to the music, people, location, etc...

Did you get signed releases for them, that is.

If not, your stuff is a big lawsuit waiting to happen.

For personal use, who's gonna sue you, but if it's for commercial purposes, think twice.

I'm not a lawyer, use the advice at your own discretion, etc...
John Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:41 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Alright, I talked to the guy again and we decided on $300. Apparently he wanted the footage so he could review it with the rest of his band because his camera guy fell through (how convenient!). So the video is theirs and I can keep a copy for myself to view, he did not want me to distribute it at all, which I can understand.

And don't worry, I asked them personally if I could film it before hand. It's kind of hard to miss the setup I have! :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Avedikian
Since it sounds like you didn't originally film the concert as a hired videograper, it seems unethical to charge full price for the footage.
I agree, but I have no concept of what full price is.

-Sam
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:11 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Just a thought.......

If there was any chance they were going to edit your work and produce a DVD for resale, I would charge around 10X your amount. You could lose considerable $'s. If it was just for their personal use then the $300 would be fair but I would certainly retain the rights just in case they get delusions of grandure.
Michael Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Sutch

I agree, but I have no concept of what full price is.

-Sam

Full price would be whatever you would normally charge if hired for that type of work.
David Avedikian is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques