Just curious..What breaks your flow...?? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 1st, 2006, 07:07 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Ok, I'm not too stumped by the actual edit mostly as I am the graphic design that I do for what seems like every element of the dvd. This is probably because I'm not as good as you Peter, hehe. But if I had to pick an edit that took me forever, I would pick my starwars theme. At the end of the reception, I had outerspace, with starwars music, did the credits in star wars font, and had the millenium falcon warp out of space (with 'just married' on the back of all things). I knew ahead of time that the groom was a massive star wars fan and he loved it. Took me 10 hours to put that 2 minute scene together. lol.
Old November 1st, 2006, 08:27 AM   #17
Regular Crew

If a client seems to have bad taste in music then I get them to give me a range of songs to work with. I can't let some be specific
Dan Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 10:42 AM   #18
Trustee

I Have been lucky (somewhat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Minor
If a client seems to have bad taste in music then I get them to give me a range of songs to work with. I can't let some be specific
I don't give the clients a choice in music. I let them know that due to licensing I will attempt to find music that matches their wedding style, but that I retain ultimate control over everything. They see my styl on the previous projects and if they don't like it they go else where. To date, I have booked all but one client that I talked with (that one was just looking around 1 yr in advance).

But what blocks me is bad shots. I'm still plenty new enough to have bad shots that just make me cringe when editing. Like right now, I am pissed that I didn't get enough B-Roll setup shots because I have my intro song but not enough good footage to fit it.

And incidentally, I seem to pick my music and then edit to it, rather than edit the video and fit music to it. May be that is just me, but I know it is not the best way to edit. It just seems to be the way I get good results.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 11:28 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson

But what blocks me is bad shots.
Jason, I call those shots 'artistic exploits of video', somehow that makes me feel better.
Old November 1st, 2006, 11:40 AM   #20
Regular Crew

The thing I enjoy least is a wedding where nothing special happens and everyone is so well-behaved & perfect, the couple lacks chemistry, the bridal party reads colorless on video. This combo almost always requires a lot of editing to enliven the results. Especially if the bride & groom see themselves as 'fun', yet are kinda boring.

I agree about song choices. Music has always been an issue for me, as I have a really eclectic palette and a ridiculously large album collection. I tend to believe I know the exact song that suits the mood and moment best. When I get music that kills the beauty of what I had in mind, it sucks.
Michelle Lewis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques