Wedding phobic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 16th, 2006, 07:06 AM   #1
Major Player

Wedding phobic

I know this question doesn't have a real answer, it's a judgement call. But here goes....
I've done event videography for stage shows, but I've never done a wedding. My big love is narrative film, though I do enjoy taping stage shows.

It seems like weddings are where the $ are, but I'm worried that I don't have the right experience to do them. I don't want to take some couple's money and give them bad video.

It seems like the wedding video market is a whole different animal, and I'd have to spend so much time getting up to speed it would take me away from my main interests.

It seems natural for the filmmaker to go into event/wedding videography for extra money to feed the video habit. But they seem like such different enterprises, you've got to pick one and concentrate?

Any thoughts?
Dennis Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 07:32 AM   #2
Wrangler

Heh, all I can say is "me too" ;-) I was married in a quick ceremony in judge's chambers where the only others in attendance were two friends from work as witnesses. In my whole adult life I have only attended two weddings (because I was dragged there), the most recent of which was maybe 20 years ago!

God bless all you guys who shoot weddings. Don't worry, you won't be getting any competition from me :-) But seriously, I think it must take a certain type of person who feels comfortable in that environment and has the patience to deal with stressed out brides, grooms and family members.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 12:28 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Obviously no one here is 100% prepared for everything that can happen at a wedding, but the more you do, the more comfortable you get. To me, they are getting pretty routine.

I was extremely nervous the first few times and still get that way because you are responsible for delivering someones memories. And you only get one SHOT! That shouldn't be taken lightly. So you check, and double check that you have everything... every time. Then just go out there and get some good footage and sound. Then everything else is done in post.

If you do a few for free or for very little, I think you would become comfortable and also have some demos to show future clients who will pay more. I don't believe it takes long to make the transition or to add it to you services... especially since it sounds like you have equipment.

After a while, you start to figure out what your clients want and constantly morph your business to those needs. You don't have to have it all figured out on the first wedding.
David Avedikian is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques