Editing a Wedding at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 19th, 2006, 11:48 AM   #1
New Boot

Editing a Wedding

Scenario:

You shoot a two camera wedding providing 12 hours coverage ending up with around 8-9hr of footage to edit a 2hr long version wedding, with graphics, titles, audio cleanup and adding music it takes me around 35-40hrs per edit.

How long does it take other people?? or am I just a slow editor.

thanks

Chris
Chris Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 01:51 PM   #2
Major Player

Hey Chris,
There was a earlier post on this topic, I don't remember when though, but 30 to 40 hours is about the average. I'm around 40 myself.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 03:07 PM   #3
Still Motion

I find the documentary or real-time stuff is a very quick edit. I can usually do a 4-5 camera ceremony with 4-5 audio sources along with introductions and speeches in a day (8-10 hours) which includes any audio cleaning and color correction. I find that finding the proper workflow for you can be a huge timesaver. The montage pieces are what takes me longer, but 40 hours seems a little high I would think, unless it is a larger package.

The biggest time savers for my day to day editing would be the integration of the audio program with my editing program (soundtrack and FCP), the performance of the quad for rendering, and multicam editing.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 12:51 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I would say that I average around 30 to 40 hours. That probably included all the graphic work I do as well, titles, backgrounds, print material etc. What Patrick said about a proper workflow is gospel.
Old June 21st, 2006, 04:28 PM   #5
Major Player

30 to 40 hours has always been my average, and that is with only 3-4 hours of recorded footage.
When I started with iMovie many years ago most of my time was spent moving clips around and the hassel of fitting several audio tracks onto two audio tracks.
My move to Final Cut eliminated many of the multiple track issues, but I made up for the time savings by being more critical.
My most recent move to FCP5 with its real time mixing immediately eliminated three days out of what would have been a five day edit of a live performance. I start a wedding edit tomorrow. I've excited to find out what my editing timeline will take in terms of hours.
Old June 24th, 2006, 09:27 PM   #6
Trustee

I average about 20 hours of real editing time (that is, I track the time that I actually edit, instead of when I'm just messing around, taking breaks, etc).

This includes colour correction, audio mix and sweetening, DVD production (simple, no menu).

This is probably 10 hours less than I used to take when I first started about 4 years ago. I've been getting steadily faster. I've probably edited about 130 in total.

Most are one camera shoots, about 4-5 hours footage, final product about 1 1/2 hours long, most with a photo montage and highlights section.

Get a program to track your time. I've found it incredibly useful to get a sense of the actual time you put in, and whether or not you are getting faster. I use "Allnetic Working Time Tracker." Great program.

ciao,
Vito

http://www.ipi-events.com/en/demo.html
http://www.ipi-events.com/en/testimonial.html
Vito DeFilippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 09:55 PM   #7
Trustee

I shoot, and my girlfriend edits. When the edit is done, I do the post audio (I'm also a recording engineer). iIve only shot 4 weddings, and we've edited two. She has several years editing experience, so I thgought it would be quicker.
The first was 4 hours (2 camera during the ceremony). From capturing to having the final dvd in hand was 42 hours. The second took around 38 hours.
I was contracted by a photgrapher, who has little understanding of video, and his lack of planning added hours to the edit.
Here are the problems related to working for the photog:
1-Get's to the location at the last minute, and refuses to have me talk to the couple, officiant etc.
2- Doesn't give the second camera guy (who also assists him in photo) time to even white balance, let alone plan shots with me.
3-Complains when I use on cam light in dark situations, and wants me to stay at a distance (so as not to get in the way of his camera).I tried to explain that low light plus telephoto=shallow dof and difficult focus...
I won't be doing any more shoots working for him, so hopefully I'll be able to do the necessary pre planning.In addition to my wireless lav on the groom, I'll add a lav to the officiant (maybee an Edirol or hi md), and also use the Edirol on the dj's board.
I'll also insist on talking with everyone involved BEFORE the wedding day.
I feel like I've been through wedding boot camp, and I have learned quite a bit about the do's and don't's of wedding video.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques