Dance footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 22nd, 2006, 09:13 PM   #1
Major Player

Dance footage

Quick question, looking for what you would do. With the dance footage would you just dump it in the timeline for render or would you edit some of it?

Thanks
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 09:21 PM   #2
Still Motion

I always cut out 3-5 second dance clips and play with them to make a montage of all dancing clips and other reception details. Takes a lot more time in the end but it is something the couple usually loves just about as much as the highlights and it is a great way to get the guests involved.

I can post a sample if you would like, but I find these clips are best when you try and really get creative with it doing split screen, timing the stomping or clapping to the beat of the music, and all kinds of other things that take a rather long time to cut.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 10:49 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the reply Patrick. I was thinking of attempting this with the dance footage from my recent event. If you could post a sample that would be cool to see. Thanks again

Monday

Last edited by Monday Isa; June 23rd, 2006 at 05:22 AM.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 04:07 PM   #4
Major Player

I always edit all dance footage of weddings. Of course, I first get permission to do so beforehand. Having edited the footage, it is much easier for me to further edit the sequence for montage purposes.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 10:17 PM   #5
Major Player

That's cool Waldemar, how much footage do you start off with? How long is the edited dance sequence?
Old June 24th, 2006, 09:50 AM   #6
Major Player

I shoot all traditional dances start to finish, then edit each one down to about a minute or so. The real deciding factors are the lengths of the music verses and the quantity of really good footage.

For social dancing I record about thirty minutes of action which is edited down to about 90 seconds. I try to find one music selection which really is a good reflection of the moods and energy the wedding guests are expressing, then edit all of the good dance shots to that piece. The process takes about four hours.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques