I shot a friend's Wedding -HATE IT! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 27th, 2006, 05:45 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mallari
Anyways, their video is finish but won't be giving it to them till 6 month...let them f...ing wait!
I think your attitude will cost you more business than any slip-of-the-tongue made by a bride during her wedding speech. If you can't be nice for the sake of friendship, at least be professional for the sake of more business. Your 'referrals' will most likely come when her friends start planning their weddings and call her to find out who did her wedding. The second question they'll ask is 'How were they?' Do you really want her saying, 'I don't know, I haven't seen anything yet and its been half a year. I think he suffers from terret syndrome.'?

Get over yourself. You are the least important person at the most important event of someone's life. Even the wedding photographers look down on you. Instead of bashing the bride for not hawking your business more on her wedding day, you might want to take another look to see if that engagement video was all that you think it was cracked up to be. That was YOUR chance to show your stuff to a captive audience. If you couldn't hook them then, then maybe the bride wasn't the one who dropped the ball.

The last thing a wedding needs is one more ego, do yourself a favor and leave it at home. The mother of the bride usually has more than enough to go around.
Steve Roark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #17
Wrangler

the bit about withholding their video even though it is finished smacks of a lack of professionalism. if you want to be a professional, you need to act like one. you won't succeed at this if you hold onto grudges and disgruntlements about clients. no, they don't realize how much work goes into these things. yes, it is your job to educate them and keep them aware of costs and lost time opportunities. just making videos is the fun and easy part of doing this for a living. satisfying difficult clients can be the hard part (and this bride wasn't even being difficult, just moderately thoughtless...that's nothing!). if you're going to let a little thing like a casual remark on the part of a bride get under your skin, you won't do well. (and i'm not being critical of you, fyi, i'm just telling it like it is...if you want to have a successful video biz and a reliable client base.)
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 09:05 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Hey Peter, have you ever used pictures of your editing workspace to display you're 'professional flair.'

I.e. you don't edit on an Atari system. (That's an old gaming system for those youngins reading.)
Old June 27th, 2006, 10:03 AM   #19
Tourist

Hey Billy
Just my 2 cents worth.

I agree with the others. You should show your professionalism and complete the work as soon as practical, without any vindictiveness on your part. Perhaps the bride felt that a repeat of the groom's thankyou wasn't necessary.

I can only suggest that the sooner you complete the video and deliver it to them, the more favourable your image in their and their family and friends eyes. That can only encourage them to recomend you to others.

Good Luck.
John Wolf is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques