Question re: attire. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 6th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
I agree with Peter, nice casual. I have some nice black dockers pants, Loose, comfortable, and huge pockets for batteries, tapes, lens cover. Not quite big enough for the HD100 lens cover though... I also wear grey polo shirts with company logo over the pocket. In nicer freelance positions, I wear a plain blue button down. Get some nice, comfy shoes that are casual. Clean Nike's might work. If you are on your feet for 10 hours, those shiney black leather shoes are out!

Hey Keith, where did you get your shirts done? Where you happy? I'm looking around, but I don't need 12,000 shirts to get a good deal. :}
Old February 9th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #17
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Danatzko
... As far as projecting "professionalism", in my corporate days I once attended a training class where the instructor made the comment that "perception IS reality", and perception is formed upon others' "first sight" of us...even before we're able to speak or introduce ourself. I've found that statement fo contain at least a seed of wisdom. It seems weighing our own comfort against others' perceptions of us is an issue of delicate balance...AND guesswork...
I agree with the instructor Denis.

I've read thru all the posts and I certainly understand each and every opinion. For me however, wearing a tux to every wedding I shoot seems to work well. Now, I don't wear the traditional bowtie and cumberbund tux. I'll wear the shirt with a button cover, the slacks, and some dressy, yet comfortable loafers my wife got for me. Sometimes, if the occasion calls for it, I'll add a vest and "shiny" shoes. As for the coat, the weather and my location at the wedding usually dictate when I wear it.

Back to why it works for me. The majority of my shoots are indoors, but if we're outdoors and it's hot, the white shirt seems to help me keep cooler. (Yep, I keep a towel in the kit.) Most of the weddings I shoot are considered "high-end" and I find that more often than not, my wearing a tux helps me blend in with the guests better. Also, I feel I project a more professional appearance in my tux, and when prospective clients see me at wedding shows, I'm able to tell them that I'll be dressed "just as you see me now".

BTW, I get many compliments on my "professional appearance".

I think that first impressions can be lasting impressions!

Mark
Mark Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 02:57 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I'm a transplant from New York City, living on Long Island. I still shoot weddings in all the boroughs of New York City. You're not off base, this bum is. This guy with a video camera was totally wrong. My question is, where did the bride get him? I have heard of this before and it's usually someone who answers an add from the Craigs List. Some shlepp with a camera who is a wannabe film maker and figures he can make a fast buck shooting weddings. A professional videographer with any pride in him/her self will dress for the occasion.
Allen W
Allen Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Williams
I have heard of this before and it's usually someone who answers an add from the Craigs List. Some shlepp with a camera who is a wannabe film maker.

Allen W

I wear all black. I will never wear a monkey suit for this type of work.

Would you expect a luxury car mechanic to wear a tux while he's changing your oil? just because it's a nice car?

You need to wear clothing that looks nice but also allows you to move freely and do your job. Suits are just too confining.

I also advertise on craigslist.

There may be a connection!

Sorry if I lost your respect. :(

Last edited by Scott Jaco; February 10th, 2007 at 11:07 PM.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 01:28 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Our company does things differently. Instead of dressing like a guest, we dress more like a technical crew would by wearing all black; thats collared shirt, slacks, and shoes in black. This is of course in an attempt to "disappear" (even though weddings are "white" days). It works for us.
Mark Morikawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 01:56 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jaco
I wear all black. I will never wear a monkey suit for this type of work.

Would you expect a luxury car mechanic to wear a tux while he's changing your oil? just because it's a nice car?

You need to wear clothing that looks nice but also allows you to move freely and do your job. Suits are just too confining.

I also advertise on craigslist.

There may be a connection!

Sorry if I lost your respect. :(
I also use Craigs list for some of my services and to hire help. If you're that guy who shows up at a wedding in a "T-shirt ...in the church..."and treat the bridal party like they are working for you so you can enter a festival, the loss of respect is mutual.

However if you wear a black shirt and neat looking slacks and you treat the bridal party with respect, you're riding the same boat as myself. I don't ever wear a suit or tux jacket because it is confining but I wear a vest. Just a personal preference.

BTW, did I mention or say anything about a monkey suit or tux in my original post or did you add that in just for fun?
Allen W
Allen Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 12:44 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Morikawa
Our company does things differently. Instead of dressing like a guest, we dress more like a technical crew would by wearing all black; thats collared shirt, slacks, and shoes in black. This is of course in an attempt to "disappear" (even though weddings are "white" days). It works for us.

We are actually switching to this sort of image as well. I had Black collared shirts embroidered with my business name (very simple white text) on it and well wear those with black pants/shoes. I actually like this much better, because not only is it easier to move around and feel comfortable, but you never know who else needs a videographer, so it's a good way to get your name out as well.
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Brennan
We are actually switching to this sort of image as well. I had Black collared shirts embroidered with my business name (very simple white text) on it and well wear those with black pants/shoes. I actually like this much better, because not only is it easier to move around and feel comfortable, but you never know who else needs a videographer, so it's a good way to get your name out as well.
^exactly.. we also use company shirts
Mark Morikawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Anyone have an online recommendation for the polo style shirts?
Old February 12th, 2007, 07:59 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis
Anyone have an online recommendation for the polo style shirts?
The shirts I ordered were from Jacobs Wholesale in Pittsburgh, PA. My sister works there, so they were willing to do only the number of shirts that I needed (6). They may do it for anyone though, so check them out. www.jacobswholesale.com

HTH
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 01:17 PM   #26
Regular Crew

I like to dress like Batman, or a ninja...

Hey all,
I always clear this with the B&G first.
I wear black "stretchy" dress pants, that have lots of give in the waistline, as I'm not overly slim, and need lots of belly room so I can feel comfortable when I bend and stretch, and try to reach my toes... Hmmm where are my toes?
I wear a black dress shirt & a black t-shirt underneath, but I refuse to wear a tie. (Ties were obviously designed by someone who never did a lick of physical labour in their life. If I wear a tie, I will feel strangled, and will probably faint from the lack of oxygen going to my brain.)
I try to wear comfortable black dress shoes, but I think I might have to have a second look at getting something better... my feet always kill me after a wedding shoot, perhaps it's because I spend most of my regular days sitting on my butt.
I also wear a utility belt, just like batman, that has everything I need for the shoot. In the future, I might even start wearing a "camel back" water drinking system, for those exceptionally harsh, hot and humid, days in the Southern Ontario heat... It got totaly brutal here last year, and water is so very important to keep the video dude alive. I'm lucky I didn't get heat stroke... perhaps I should rethink the whole "black" thing I've got going on.
Thanks
M.
www.dyweddingmedia.com
Michael Steeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 02:18 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Steeves
Hey all,
I wear black "stretchy" dress pants, that have lots of give in the waistline, as I'm not overly slim, and need lots of belly room so I can feel comfortable when I bend and stretch, and try to reach my toes... Hmmm where are my toes?
I wear a black dress shirt & a black t-shirt underneath, but I refuse to wear a tie. (Ties were obviously designed by someone who never did a lick of physical labour in their life. If I wear a tie, I will feel strangled, and will probably faint from the lack of oxygen going to my brain.)
I try to wear comfortable black dress shoes, but I think I might have to have a second look at getting something better... my feet always kill me after a wedding shoot, perhaps it's because I spend most of my regular days sitting on my butt.
I also wear a utility belt, just like batman, that has everything I need for the shoot. In the future, I might even start wearing a "camel back" water drinking system, for those exceptionally harsh, hot and humid, days in the Southern Ontario heat... It got totaly brutal here last year, and water is so very important to keep the video dude alive. I'm lucky I didn't get heat stroke... perhaps I should rethink the whole "black" thing I've got going on.
Thanks
M.
www.dyweddingmedia.com

Hey Michael,

Try these, http://www.amazon.com/Bostonian-Mens...UTF8&s=apparel

I used to wear like dress dress shoes, and I would have knew collection of blisters by days end. The above set of shoes put a stop to that, and these things are the most comfortable shoes I've ever had. Their more comfortable than my regular dockers.

Just passing it along.
Old February 16th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #28
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Steeves
Hey all,
Thanks
M.
www.dyweddingmedia.com

Re: The "Black thing"

That's one reason I wear a white shirt. It's tux style, but I wear a button cover instead of a tie. It's collarless, so it's not confining. Then, if I need to dress it up more (like when in the front of a church), I'll add the jacket. If I'm at a really fancy reception venue, I might wear a vest. (or not) A side benefit is the impression I make on potential customers at wedding shows.

BTW, I buy my tux supplies from an outlet that carries good used, as well as new stuff. It keeps the cost down, and if I were to rip or soil something, it's not expensive to replace, and the rental style slacks are adjustable for a perfect fit on those of us with extra muscular bellies. I've been wearing the same tux for about 18 months now! (Yes, it's been cleaned!)

Mark
Mark Holland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques