Need camera flash sound effect. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 17th, 2006, 07:05 AM   #1
Major Player

Need camera flash sound effect.

At a recent wedding we taped, the photographer forgot there was a movie being produced and stood and lingered in front of the B&G during every key moment. The photo studio has agreed to send us the stills from those moments so I can try to edit them into the movie.

I'm trying to find a quality sound effect for a photo flash. I hope I can describe this but I'm looking for that classic bulb pop rather than camera click. I'd be glad to buy the effect if someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks for any help.
Bob
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 07:11 AM   #2
Major Player

Try www.sounddogs.com and search for "Flash Bulb".
There are several to choose from.
Old July 17th, 2006, 11:22 AM   #3
Inner Circle

what your lookin for is "camera shutter" sound effect.. there are heaps if u search google, or some consumer cams throw ths sound effect in when u take a still on tape..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 11:37 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
what your lookin for is "camera shutter" sound effect.. there are heaps if u search google, or some consumer cams throw ths sound effect in when u take a still on tape..
In fact, my Pana 953 will do that on a still shot to tape. The item is menu settable for on or off.

However, there is a slight 'pop' sound at the discharge of the strobe flash and the ensuing ramp of a high frequency tone as the strobe recharges. Perhaps this is what he is looking for.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 11:46 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Bob,

Email me at dmstudio@verizon.net and I will email a couple sound royalty free for you to use.

Dan
Dan Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 12:00 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Harotunian
I'm looking for that classic bulb pop rather than camera click
For those that may not remember, flash bulbs used to be a one-shot affair.

The glass of the bulbs would shatter when fired, and so they were coated with plastic. The result was a soft "pop" sound, followed by crackling as the glass continued to crack while the it and the plastic cooled and contracted.

Seems like this is the sound he was asking for.
Old July 17th, 2006, 12:05 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Jushchyshyn
For those that may not remember, flash bulbs used to be a one-shot affair.

The glass of the bulbs would shatter when fired, and so they were coated with plastic. The result was a soft "pop" sound, followed by crackling as the glass continued to crack while the it and the plastic cooled and contracted.

Seems like this is the sound he was asking for.
Yes Nick, I do remember. In fact, we have an old brownie camera laying around somewhere. And then my Dad had an instamatic in the 60's that had the 'flash cube' that gave you 4 flashes. The camera would automatically rotate the cube to the next position....ahhhh the memories.

There is also the sound effect that is commonly used in movies for the 'news photographer' type stuff. I believe that's the muffled sound you are referring to.

-gb-
Old July 17th, 2006, 12:38 PM   #8
Major Player

heh heh ... yeah ... even the four flash spinning bulb was an upgrade!

Of course, even the single shot electric bulbs were an upgrade over igniting flash powder. :D
Old July 17th, 2006, 12:53 PM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
heh heh ... yeah ... even the four flash spinning bulb was an upgrade!

Of course, even the single shot electric bulbs were an upgrade over igniting flash powder. :D
Hehe...flash bulbs, the ultimate definition of how much fine wire can you stuff in a glass enclosure and get it to burn up instantaneously. ;-)

-gb-
Old July 18th, 2006, 02:32 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Oh god.. the instamatic.. lol

i know what u mean now about the actual flash bulb... more of a "Shoom" sound..

I remember burning my forehead when i was about 8... my mum had a brownie which took the wierd looking film spool cartridges (i cant remember what the buggers are caled now!!)
Hey I didnt know any better!!
Needless to say, I had the camera faciung the wrong way and using the 4 shot rotating flash cubes... not a good look the next day at school..

oh does anyone remember those looong 10 shot strips? Oh god i feel so old now...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 07:40 AM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
Oh god.. the instamatic.. lol

i know what u mean now about the actual flash bulb... more of a "Shoom" sound..

I remember burning my forehead when i was about 8... my mum had a brownie which took the wierd looking film spool cartridges (i cant remember what the buggers are caled now!!)
Hey I didnt know any better!!
Needless to say, I had the camera faciung the wrong way and using the 4 shot rotating flash cubes... not a good look the next day at school..

oh does anyone remember those looong 10 shot strips? Oh god i feel so old now...
Yes Peter, I remember the 10 shot strips. They were after the 4 shot cube IIRC. And the film cartridge you refer to was 135 Instamatic film. My father shot many rolls of that stuff to be developed into slides. Which takes us to our next piece of trivia, the slide projector. I remember corporate presentations in the late 70's early 80's that used racks of slide projectors all aimed at the same place. By turning one on while the previous one was shutting off, you got a nice cross dissolve.

But I digress. I emailed Bob yesterday and he responded to say he was looking for the 'shoosh' sound that you described, commonly heard in film and episodic television.

-gb-
Old July 18th, 2006, 02:25 PM   #12
Major Player

Strobe Sound Effect

Bob,

If you can not find one I could set up one of my monolites and record the sound from it.
Email me if you need it.

Bill
Old July 19th, 2006, 06:50 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hamell
Bob,
If you can not find one I could set up one of my monolites and record the sound from it.
Email me if you need it.
Bill
Thanks Bill. Don't think I can find the exact sound that's in my head. I bought something close to the sound I want from SoundDogs and tinkered with it in Audition to get something close. I'l l just go with that for now.
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 07:52 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
Yes Peter, I remember the 10 shot strips. They were after the 4 shot cube IIRC. And the film cartridge you refer to was 135 Instamatic film. My father shot many rolls of that stuff to be developed into slides. Which takes us to our next piece of trivia, the slide projector. I remember corporate presentations in the late 70's early 80's that used racks of slide projectors all aimed at the same place. By turning one on while the previous one was shutting off, you got a nice cross dissolve.

But I digress. I emailed Bob yesterday and he responded to say he was looking for the 'shoosh' sound that you described, commonly heard in film and episodic television.

-gb-
Ahhh, yes. The castaway tools of the professional arts....
Let us not forget ditto machines (nothing today feels as cool or smells as sweet as a fresh ditto .... mmmm ) and carbon paper!
Old July 19th, 2006, 11:47 AM   #15
Wrangler

Quote:
Ahhh, yes. The castaway tools of the professional arts....
Let us not forget ditto machines (nothing today feels as cool or smells as sweet as a fresh ditto .... mmmm ) and carbon paper!
Are you referring to the infamous mimeograph machines of my early school years? Funny you mention 'smells as fresh' cause there is a scene in Fast Times at Ridgemont High where the teacher hands out the tests and the whole classroom sniffs their test sheets almost simultaneously. Of course, they were just looking for a cheap buzz from the fumes.

Back on track...

Bob, did you ever find the sound you were searching for?

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques