advertisement at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 18th, 2006, 03:51 AM   #1
Major Player

advertisement

I've only done a couple of weddings and an wedding renewal this year. I really haven't done any advertising so my question is where do you get most of your business from newspaper ads, website, referrals, family, fellow videographers, etc. etc.
Would like to take some time to build that side of my business. Thanks .
Lalo Alvidrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 07:19 AM   #2
Major Player

Lalo, get some business cards printed and be generous with them, especially at wedding receptions. Also, drop by the local flower shops & beauty shops. Some have little racks for a bunch of business cards, and many have post-it boards where you can tack on a card. Don't forget the laundromats -- most of those also have post-it boards, and eligible singles are frequent users of laundromats. Some church lobbies and fellowship halls sometimes have post-it boards. Look around, and leave your card where ever there's a logical place to put it. Contact wedding planners in your area and introduce yourself. Don't be surprised if they want to see a demo before they consider recommending you, and expect them to ask for a 'finders fee' if their referral books you.

I have a friend who's been a long-time DJ in the area. He does no advertising; all of his business now is from referrals. When being booked for a reception, he says he frequently gets asked if he knows any good wedding videographers -- which of course he does. ;) Photographers also get asked if they can recommend a videographer, and I've landed a few weddings that way. (It can pay to be nice to the photographer. Some hate working with any videographer, and some hate just certain videographers. If you seem to be working together well, at some point make an offer to refer him/her if he/she will do the same for you. Of course, give the photog some of your business cards and ask for some of his.)

I never did a newspaper advertisement nor a Yellow Pages ad, but I've been told they can get expensive, produce some inqueries, but few results.

And of course the B&G of weddings you taped, plus their family, friends & anyone else who's seen your work (and liked it) make the best referrals. Bottom line is that if you're just starting out, you have to be really proactive, use your imagination to get your name out, and keep making the rounds.
Tom Tomkowiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 09:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Mini Display

I bought some nice business card holders from the office supply store. Then I printed some printable DVD's ( a picture of a groom helping a bride down from a carriage) and used hot glue to fix it to the business card holder back, it really sticks out on a table full of business cards. If you do this make sure it looks good before you set it out.
Eugene Bare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2006, 12:32 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Bare
I bought some nice business card holders from the office supply store. Then I printed some printable DVD's ( a picture of a groom helping a bride down from a carriage) and used hot glue to fix it to the business card holder back, it really sticks out on a table full of business cards. If you do this make sure it looks good before you set it out.

Very nice tip Eugene.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques