quick release setup... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 27th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #1
Major Player

quick release setup...

I'm looking to be able to quickly switch my cam from the Glidecam 4000 to my tripod. What are some options in quick release heads that I would be able to use with a Slik 700DX tripod? I've searched B&H's site and I want to make sure I get the right gear for this. Thanks.
Vincent Croce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 08:22 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The 501/503 Bogen heads and the Bogen QR577 all use the same quick release plates and mounts. I have 2 tripods with 503s and a monopod with a QR577 for my 150s and switching is fast smooth and easy. I wish the plate from my 516 head would work with the QR577 but alas ;-(

Anyway search B&H for the QR577-I think it'll be the answer for you.

Don B
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 05:02 AM   #3
Major Player

So would I be able to adapt the head on my Slik 700 to the QR577, or would I have to pick up a Bogen 3433 head for it as well...would the Bogen head even fit on my cheapo Slik tripod?
Thanks, Don.
Old July 28th, 2006, 05:43 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The QR577 will fit on the head of any tripod or monopod or brace or whatever as long as it has either a 1/4-20 OR 3/8s screw. I believe the SLIK has only a 1/4X20 which is fine. The QR577 is a flat mounting mechanisim so there should be no problem at all. BTW, cost is about $50.00

Don
Old July 28th, 2006, 05:55 AM   #5
Major Player

So wouldn't I need 2 of the lower portions of the QR577, one for the GCam and one for the tripod? Sorry if I'm belaboring this thing, I just want to be clear before I place my order...
Old July 28th, 2006, 08:06 AM   #6
Inner Circle

No problem. Yes you would need a unit for every support device so you do need t oorder 2 of the QR577s. They both have the device that mounts to the tripod or whatever and a camera mounting plate so you'd have an extra one. I think I have a few laying around myself. Take a look at B&H and see the unit to make sure it's what you are looking for but I think it is and will do the job for you.
SEARCH FOR: bogen 577.

Don B.
Old July 28th, 2006, 08:18 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks again, Don. Just the info I needed. I'm ordering 2 of those puppies right now (just a smidge over 50). Seems like a perfect solution to me--I've been using my Glidecam to get the b&g coming down the aisle but I've had to leave it on the Glidecam through the ceremony due to the time it takes to swap it to the tripod. Cam 2 would probably fill in just fine while I swapped, but I like this method much more.
Vin
Old July 28th, 2006, 10:01 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Good, it sounds like a plan.
Have fun,
Don B
Old August 1st, 2006, 05:26 AM   #9
Major Player

Got them in the mail yesterday-just what the video doctor ordered! The quality appears excellent and I can't wait for my next wedding to try them out. You mentioned you have Bogen 503 heads on a couple of your tripods-what's your opinion of them? I'll eventually be moving up in that department, too.
Vincent Croce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques