My Wedding Recap Highlight Video from first wedding. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 28th, 2006, 03:06 AM   #16
Regular Crew

I found a better church shot actually with the stain glass windows in the background of the first church clip. I'll probably use that. I don't have any of her before the wedding. I made a final cut of the video. The link should be updated tomorrow. I appreciate all the comments
John Brickner Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 08:38 AM   #17
Regular Crew

John,

Just a few more questions...did you also shoot the reception? Do you have a longer cut that you are giving the couple? If so, how long is that cut going to be?

Thanks for sharing your clip!
Brian Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 11:39 AM   #18
Major Player

Did not get to see it. Takes forever to download. Must be a slow server:(
Old July 28th, 2006, 12:01 PM   #19
New Boot

It was nice and the pace of the editing and slow-mo matched the clips, however, if this is suppose to be a highlight piece of the wedding, why don't you include the reception and dancing as well? It would add so much more emotion to it. You would have to re-edit everything a bit faster to fit other footage into it though. You could also try to have everything black and white to represent the highlight piece as a more nostalgic emotional fell to it. If you really want it to be more moving, you should include more close-up shots too, if you have any. But good learning experience.
Ramon Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 01:04 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Just a quick note. This isn't what i'm giving the couple. This was just a demo I made for my website. This would be something that would maybe go between like after the ceremony but before the post-ceremony (guest greetings, photo shoot ect.) if that makes sense. I should of said a ceremony recap not a wedding recap. Anyway the server is running just fine. You probably hit a time when 23 people were downloading it at the same time. Also my final edit of this is now up. I fixed the aspect ratio and fixed a few things based on some suggestions. Any other comments will be for when I make the real ceremony video for the couple.
Old July 28th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #21
Major Player

The shaking is fairly minor, so you might use something like 2d3's SteadyMove video stabilization plug-in. It will soften the picture a slight bit (zooms in for correction) but will smooth the footage. It is just a suggestion. I used SteadyMove Pro for a wedding I shot last year because after an hour and a half into a Catholic wedding the camera started moving more for some reason...:-) The results were quite nice since I used a minimal amount of correction on most shots.
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 02:46 PM   #22
Major Player

Quite good John. Well done. The pacing was smooth, and most of the shots were very good. The biggest distraction to me was the sequence of shots showing the bridesmaids and bride coming down the aisle. A better tripod and/or more practice panning would definitely have helped those shots. Otherwise I rather liked it. A few of the shots were dark and you could tell that the gain had kicked on to compensate, but most of them were well exposed. Nice work. Keep it up.
Mike Oveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 12:17 AM   #23
Regular Crew

I know exactly what you're saying. I was so nervous when things started that my hand was shaking lol. As the ceremony went on I relaxed a bit. I got another wedding coming up at the end of August. I'll practice a bit before then. Thanks.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 02:25 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I didn't read all the posts before mine, but to say the least it looks very good for your first time.

Now for a bit of criticism (remember this was your first time, so it was good):
besides the whole resolution thing, I noticed you tended to chop off the tops of people walking up the aisle - I would try to avoid that, just zoom out if you are afraid of cutting off body parts (lol) The slow-mo stuff got a bit anoying after a little; while It's good to use it in some places but it combined with the slow zoom was ...well weird. I personally like showing more people and more actions over stationary things. But this was a re-cap not a highlight? or are you calling a re-cap a highlight video? sorry got confused on that one. Hope this helps a bit and I am not repeating (much).
~Matt
Old August 2nd, 2006, 02:40 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I originally put a wedding re-cap and that confused people I guess as they wanted to see the reception as well. I was probably being redundant in my description but oh well. As far as slow mo stuff is conerned I thought it worked well with the pacing. In the first cut of this I had some things not in slow motion and it looked awkward. The resolution thing is fixed so I don't know what you mean by that. I put a letterbox on the footage to make it look widescreen so I assume thats where the "chopping" stuff occurred. I was thinking about taking that out but I've been working on the DVD and haven't had time. Thanks for the comments.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 12:30 PM   #26
New Boot

I think it looks good. I to am starting out and hope I will be brave enough to post one of my first clips for critique.
Nicholas Heuer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques