HC3 and VX2100 Weddings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 29th, 2006, 06:35 PM   #1
Major Player

HC3 and VX2100 Weddings

Is anyone using the HC3 in conjunction with the VX2100 and getting successful footage?

I shot a wedding yesterday with two VX2100 and borrowed an HC3 from the photographer as a third camera. I haven't had time to review all the footage. The church was poorly lit with some back-light window issues that I think I was able to avoid.

From what I saw, the HC3 seemed to match up pretty well with the VX2100. I'd love to have a third VX2100 but the HC3 is half the price. It doesn't matter to me that it lacks headphone and mic jacks because I've got the audio covered the the other cameras.

The HC3 has 5 lux rating compared to the VX2100s 1 or 2 lux rating. But in general wedding conditions and recitals/plays. I'm thinking the HC3 might provide a nice third angle at half the price.

Just wondering if any of you are mixing these two cameras at weddings with success. I don't think I'd be too worried about the reception because I don't think I'd ever want to use more than two cameras at a reception.

-Scott
Scott Routt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 06:57 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Routt
Is anyone using the HC3 in conjunction with the VX2100 and getting successful footage?

I shot a wedding yesterday with two VX2100 and borrowed an HC3 from the photographer as a third camera. I haven't had time to review all the footage. The church was poorly lit with some back-light window issues that I think I was able to avoid.

From what I saw, the HC3 seemed to match up pretty well with the VX2100. I'd love to have a third VX2100 but the HC3 is half the price. It doesn't matter to me that it lacks headphone and mic jacks because I've got the audio covered the the other cameras.

The HC3 has 5 lux rating compared to the VX2100s 1 or 2 lux rating. But in general wedding conditions and recitals/plays. I'm thinking the HC3 might provide a nice third angle at half the price.

Just wondering if any of you are mixing these two cameras at weddings with success. I don't think I'd be too worried about the reception because I don't think I'd ever want to use more than two cameras at a reception.

-Scott
I would imagine they could be made to match to an acceptable degree. The biggest difference will be the native 16:9 of the HC3 vs 4:3 of the VX2k and the exceptional low light of the VX vs. the not-so-exceptional performance from the HC. In addition- shooting with the VX using the in-cam 16:9 introduces weird aliasing to the image.

I wouldn't think twice about using it for a back-up/balcony cam though. Outdoors in good lighting I'm sure the HC3 even provides better imagery.

I think you'll find HC3 usage more comon with people already shooting HDV with their other cams. It's an inexpensive way to have an extra capture deck and/or rear balcony cam.
Old July 30th, 2006, 08:11 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott
I would imagine they could be made to match to an acceptable degree. The biggest difference will be the native 16:9 of the HC3 vs 4:3 of the VX2k and the exceptional low light of the VX vs. the not-so-exceptional performance from the HC. In addition- shooting with the VX using the in-cam 16:9 introduces weird aliasing to the image.
Thanks for the thought Glen. That's interesting what you said about the 16:9 problem. I shot the wedding in 4:3 and am planning to add the black bars.

I finally got a new TV. I was watching my video on a 10 year old Panasonic with messed up colors. The new one is HD but I'm not using an HD converter. I'm having a lot of trouble deciding on how my VX footage looks best because, yes, I'm getting that alias distortion you mentioned. I'm also thinking the VX 16:9 doesn't look as sharp. I was hoping that shooting in 4:3 and cropping would prevent the problem. And I was thinking the HC3 in 4:3 would work best for me.

Thanks,
Scott
Scott Routt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 09:34 PM   #4
Regular Crew

in plenty of light, the HC3 does wonders. i use it during my weddings. i use it in conjunction with the jvc hd100.
Yoochul Chong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 06:05 AM   #5
Major Player

Do you think the HC3 or any other camera that shoots both HD and DV has the same low-light performance in either mode, or is one mode better than the other? I ask because the FX1 is not rated as high as the VX2100 in low-light.
Scott Routt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques