What's a videographer??? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 1st, 2006, 11:58 PM   #16
Trustee

A Single Sentence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Wood
I don't know how many of you live in more rural areas like I do, but even in big cities this may apply.

Regardless, how do you tell people in a clear and concise manner what a videographer is and does within one PROFESSIONAL sounding sentence.

I'm tired of saying, "a videographer is similar to a photographer, except we do video"! What does everyone else say, assuming you run into this common issue (for me)?
I say that as a videographer I combine high quality digital audio and video recordings into a movie to showcase your wedding day for friends family, or yourself.

That seems to cover it. Everyone knows what a movie is. Almost everyone knows, thanks to all the extras on big blockbuster DVDs, that making a movie takes lots of time and practice.

I always show a presentation of previous wedding movies and I show the working environment (Vegas 6) where I show that I am combining many different sources to get a finished product. One of these days I am going to cut together a video as an "Uncle Bob" video where the sound is horrible, he talks from behind the camera, coughs, etc and the pictures is shaky and or out of focus, poorly lit, etc etc etc. To show that this is the difference between letting a skilled professional film your wedding and getting Uncle Bob to do it.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 01:12 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I just tell people I am a Video Producer. And then are like ok. And then I just give examples of hat I do, Wedding, movies, etc.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 12:30 PM   #18
Trustee

Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Sawyers
I just tell people I am a Video Producer. And then are like ok. And then I just give examples of hat I do, Wedding, movies, etc.
I have also used the Video Producer reference. Fortunately for me, Everyoen I contact regarding my service already knows what they want, they just have no idea regarding what it takes to get what they want. Hence the examples, the demonstrations, etc.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 05:48 PM   #19
Tourist

videographer??? The view depend of the country

Maybe the people has not recognized our work,because think its a hoobie, but in Mexico,Chile, Paraguay etc.. Some schools has made a course w/certificated in "videographics".
The reason... its a important part for the personal history for else, weddings, aniversary, births, funerals... enviroment, the community changes.
The culture christian catolic let us the people remeber moments and use for remeber better times.
I think that the people nkows the guys w/a camera, not the word Videographer.
Si no entendieron pidanmelo en espaņol!!!
Francisco Vilchis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 08:21 PM   #20
Inner Circle

definitions?

too many to list when it comes to the actual business.. such as owner operator, proprietor, cinematographer, audio engineer, editor blah blah

What am I? "I'm a Producer"
or
What do you do for a living? "I own and operate a video and imaging production company"
or
Out in the field "I run a production house & this is part of what i do"

I try to stear away from the stereotypical titles, as here in aus, its difficult enough without the stigma of "video" staining peoples ideas as to what i do.
People hear the word video and associate it with "video" as in on the level THEY understand.. <ie NOT MUCH>

so yeah.. producer works for me

As for my emails and letters, my title is "Director and Proprietor"
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques