play ntsc DVD-Rs in England? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 31st, 2006, 06:34 PM   #1
Major Player

play ntsc DVD-Rs in England?

Will my client have any problem playing regular NTSC DVD-Rs in England?
Doug Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 06:57 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Generally speaking, they will play just fine.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 07:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

It all depends on his player,some will, some won't.If he has a late model multi reaginal player,no problems.
Joe Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 11:49 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yes as noted it will depend on the player. However many of the DVD players sold in Europe will play both PAL and NTSC so there is a good chance it will be OK.

I know one UK retailer who sells special interest DVDs and they include at least one NTSC title which customers are free to return if it doesn't work on their machine, and they haven't had many returns.

So there's a good chance of success, but it's not guaranteed.
Paul Doherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 06:56 AM   #5
Major Player

Unless I'm mistaken it will depend on both the DVD player and the TV. Both must be NTSC compatible otherwise you risk getting a monochrome picture or no picture at all!

As mentioned, most new players and TVs can handle both signals but if it's a critical situation I would either check or take two formats (if possible).

Playing DVD+-R's isnt usually a problem for most players unless they are very old.
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 10:10 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Dan, I've got 3 UK bought DVD players hooked up to a PAL TV. 2 of them play NTSC DVDs just fine, the other (using the same TV) plays in B+W.

I'm not certain on this, but I think the TV will only be a factor in a minority of cases (ie if it's a set with limited capabilities). Hopefully someone can confirm the exact position.
Paul Doherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 06:35 PM   #7
Major Player

NTSC DVD's play fine on PAL players, so long as a region code is not attached to the production code of a burned DVD. My daughter had no problem playing home DVD videos on set top DVD players when she was studying in New Zeland, and most commentary I have read on this subject on several forums supports this commentary.

However, the reverse is not true. DVD's burned in PAL will not play on NTSC players. I do not know the reason, but suspect it has to do with the inherent higher resolution of PAL.
Old August 5th, 2006, 12:56 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Waldemar, it is not the case that all UK PAL DVD players will play NTSC DVDs. Many will, but a minority won't.

The original question was about NTSC in the UK. If your daughter had 100% success in New Zealand I suspect that may be because they are in the Pacific, so it's much better for them to have dual standard players.

N American DVD players don't support PAL discs because it's a larger, more insular market with minimal demand for PAL discs.

Region coding is a separate issue altogether. Some DVD players sold in the UK will play discs from any region, but many won't.
Paul Doherty is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques