How did you choose your business name? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 3rd, 2006, 07:53 AM   #16
Inner Circle

i would sear anyone against trying for an affiliated name.. biased opinion and website confusion... too much..

try for something simple, basic and yet.. can also stand out..

I created my business name with no actual sub title.. being digital video or whatever..

When i start offering photographic services, i will change the sub title, but the main name wont change. Noone has used the word "Studio" here in aus (not many to make an impact on my own presence anyway) so it works really wel as the word conveys a touch of class, intimacy as well as technology...
Also with the font im using, and the initial after the Studio are asthetically pleasing to look at.
Its easy to remember
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 08:22 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
i would sear anyone against trying for an affiliated name.. biased opinion and website confusion... too much..

try for something simple, basic and yet.. can also stand out..

I created my business name with no actual sub title.. being digital video or whatever..

When i start offering photographic services, i will change the sub title, but the main name wont change. Noone has used the word "Studio" here in aus (not many to make an impact on my own presence anyway) so it works really wel as the word conveys a touch of class, intimacy as well as technology...
Also with the font im using, and the initial after the Studio are asthetically pleasing to look at.
Its easy to remember

Peter, what's your url?
Old August 3rd, 2006, 10:13 AM   #18
Regular Crew

My approach to finding a new name for myself:

I wanted to offer differing video packages and not let my business name focus in on just one aspect of what I want to offer.

I started with pen and paper. For about two weeks I simply placed keywords on paper, jumbled, sorted, weeded out, and ultimately came up with my new name.

Then it was off designing my name into a logo, this took another 3 weeks.

Did some Qa with other folks for readability purposes to make sure my logo design presented the name without having to guess on what it was saying or meant.

You can see my name and logo by going to my temporary site:
http//www.MotionOne.tv
Vince Lucena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 02:43 AM   #19
Major Player

I don't think it's a great idea to incorporate your name in the business name for two reasons. If you hire staff and send them out on a job the client soon drops to it he hasn't the top guy on the job. Secondly it's harder to sell a business with your personal name attached to it. A catchy generic sort of name that captures what you do IMO is better.
Old August 4th, 2006, 02:53 AM   #20
Regular Crew

So much of this is tied into

1. market you're in (ie you don't want fairy light productions is small town west texas)

2. branding goals

3. desired clientele

4. image you want to convey on seing your bus name (personal, epic, playful, etc)

5. direction you see bus going (will you hire staff or will it remain a husband wife team)

and much more. Pm or email me and I can go through a bunch of pre thought branding ideas to get a name going that's appropriate to your goals and vision.

Paul
Paul Cypert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 08:21 AM   #21
Major Player

My $.02...

being relativey new to the business, I'm concentrating on 1 field (legal) while working occassionally with/for a local indie to get hands-on experience with production. To cover my situation, I chose Ad Hoc Video Services...Ad hoc in Latin = "for this special purpose." The name will get me listed early in the phone book, and may get me noticed by those in the legal field.

For non-legal work, I plan to use a 2nd name. Wanted to use "myopic productions", but when I checked, that's already used by someone in Calif. Plan to use a variation of that for non-legal work (Hopefully, I'll get some and be able to use it).
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques