Clip to share... - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 9th, 2006, 09:20 AM   #31
Inner Circle

"substance. "

Thats the key my friend...

its funny, just today i was tlaking to a client who didnt want their interview on their main DVD's. It was one of the limited times where they were actually being themselves (hes abodybuilder and came out in her bra... it was one of those funny things that u just had to see.. ) and it awas all gold.. BUT they didnt want it to tip the flavour of the actual Presentation (which is all glossy and wow factor kinda stuff... which to be honest, didnt really show off too much of their characters or personality... well it did, but not as "natural or easygoing" as i woudl have liked it to have been.. prolly coz they were so stressed from their nazi Phtoog... lol Shame really, either way moving away from ones comfort zone is not an easy thing.. i do it all the time though adn even if i think it may not work, the clients usually njoi it becuase it IS so different.. as an example, i used Paul oakenfold "ready steady go" for a re-edit of their phtoshoot.. i thought the original was good, pretty mellow trip hoppy DnB... they loved it.. but because of the amount fo footage i had, i had to do somethng with it (i didnt want to just ditch it coz it didnt go with the rest of the piece.. and it was too good to jsut pass up... ) so i just did another one.. a little more energetic, quarter note synced cuts to half beats and backspins, really messed up filters and tricks jsut prety much messing with it to the point wher eif i did anymore to it, it would break.

Doing this shows 2 very differnt perspectives of thr same story. on their DVD its a bonus scene, so they will feel that this is added value to their product.. even if the music isnt to their styling it goes with what were seeing..

I guess it all comes down to what kind of risk your willing to take, as well as what your doing to ensure that the client get what they want, but at the same time, retain that creative freedom to use the material you have, at ur discretion.. Sometimes moving away from the norm not only helps with your own repoitoire (spelling? lol) but also shows a willingness to experiment.. and in this game, its usually the experiemnts which are memorable... when competing for a job, its the differences u can offer which is what sets u apart from teh next guy

good stuff man, keep up the good work :)
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #32
Major Player

Hey Glen,
It took me two times watching the clip, one last week and one this week. I had a initial take on it and then waited and viewed it again. You did a great job. Exploring a new style and desiring to reflect the couples personality is a huge plus. It will be very cool to see how you progress with this style 2-5 weddings from now. Keep it up, your doing very good. Nice outside shot of the church.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 04:47 PM   #33
Major Player

Wow

That was excellent! Excellent pacing, combining of both documentary/interviews/beauiftul shots. Excellent camera work too (loving the waist level camera) Bravo & Congrats!!

K thats it im going to put up my sloppy wedding demo up as inferior/different as it is to yours.
Michael Y Wong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques