How much time do you spend on a wedding video? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 19th, 2006, 09:47 AM   #16
New Boot

Degrading Master File

Sorry my allusion was not more clear. The master file I was speaking of is the one inside your head. I know that tape does not degrade that fast. If it did we would be filing law suits with some manufacturers right now.

By the way, I posted that excercise as just that, an excercise. I also preambled it with the statement about how not everyone will be able to do it. I just think if people would try this excercise they would get better results the more they practised it. Like some of the samrtest people in the world have told us, "Practise does not make perfect. Perfect practise makes perfect."

Anyone who wants to think they can get better results with many cameras is free to think so. They are free to live and work so. I am free to believe the oposite. Believe me this is not the first time I have taken criticism for speaking this out loud.

As for cookie cutter.... I would have to say that, except one shot that I like to reuse with different couples, all my videos are basically custom work. Maybe they are not the best around but they are pretty much comparable to what I have been able to find in my area of the world. In my opinion they are a little better. Also, I will mention that I have had 100% client satisfaction. Maybe that is nothing but I like to think that it is from my ability to make the couple the focus of any video.

But rather than let me be the judge of my own work go ahead and look at it yourself.

www.solunarproductions.com/videos

1 wedding video, 1 wedding demo, 2 commercial projects, 1 indie film. Every one of them was edited using the mental excercise technique. All but one were shot on my Canon XL2. I only owned lights and had a good mic for the interview portion.
Lars Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2006, 02:10 AM   #17
Inner Circle

If your methods work for you, then thats great. I applaud anyone who takes the initialtive to draw out the exercise of a production as opposed to going in and shooting everything that moves.
I dont see anythign wrong with your comments so i really wouldnt worry too much abotu what people think. In the end, its YOUR system and for you it works. But as i said, in some situations, it simply is an improbable pipe dream of being able to manage the workload in the alloted timeframe in which you are refering.

People have different systems which work with particular markets and geographic locations. There is no right or wrong way of doing things, only different. with regard to teh cmment about "Anyone who wants to think they can get better results with many cameras is free to think so. " yes youre right, people are free to think what they like with regard to this, however there are clients and an active market out there which specifically looks for this. They WANT 2 cameras there. They WANT to have the camera on them and the speaker during the speeches, they WANT to have the brides prep and the grooms prep shot at teh same time. They WANT to see what they didnt see on the way, and this is the oNLY way they can achieve that and people are willing to pay good money for it.
In addition to this, having a second camera also offers a means of a backup, and for future potential work, people WILL approach you becuase YOUR approach to the job is different.
Working many jobs, i have lost count at how many times having that BRoll has pulled me out of a pickle when people have inadvertately stuffed up one of my own shots.... from salvaging a shot, or breaking the pace of another scene... its just the way I do things and people notice. For me that works and i woudlnt have it any other way.

Each to their own, but like i said, theres no right or wrong, its jsut different.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques