Filming the rehearsal dinner?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 17th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #1
Major Player

Filming the rehearsal dinner??

I have a wedding next Friday and the bride wants me to film the rehearsal dinner. No problem with that, but I'm concerned about audio for the toasts. It'll be in a moderately noisy restaurant, and I don't want to rely only on my on-camera mic. The only other mic I have is my wireless.

Should I hand the wireless transmitter and lav around and have them talk into that like they would a handheld? Seems cheesy to me, but would get great audio. I don't object to getting a handheld mic, but what do I get? I've done some research and there are so many, I'm lost. I want it to work wirelessly with my Senny EK100. I found the SKP100G2C at B&H for around $230, but what mic do I get with it? I'm on a tight budget here and can't go over $350. I tried looking at regular Senny wireless mics like the SKM100G2 for $310, but I don't know if that would be any better then the plug-in and a separate mic.

Sorry for yet another of the "What should I buy" questions, but I'm just confused at which might be a better choice.

Thanks for any help!

Dan

(btw, I'm using the Senny EW112PG2 channel set C)
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 08:19 PM   #2
Major Player

Dan,

I use a wireless microphone with the G2 wireless adapter for toasts. I wouldn't use a lav system, since you would have to stop the flow to switch it between people.

I would either get close to each toaster and make sure your audio on your PD170 is set properly and you should be good. Although, a wireless option would be much better.

If you want to cheat, stop by Sam Ash and buy a adapter that goes from microphone(I like the AKG mic, don't know the model off hand, it's $69) and use the adapter to plug into your wireless. That would be a way of getting wireless. Or buy an xlr cable and plug straight into the camera. Before I got my wireless, I used a cable for interviews.

Good luck

Jon
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 08:39 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the reply Jon! I'll check at Sam Ash for that adapter you mentioned, and maybe any other options that might work. Based on the table layout and the number of toasts, using a wired mic I don't think would work.

Sam Ash would be a good resource to find a solution... didn't think of them till you mentioned it.

I'd love to get the wireless plugin, but I don't know that I'll have a ton of uses for it other than this. But, then again, I bet I would find a lot of uses if I had it.

Thanks for the advice!

Dan
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 12:36 AM   #4
New Boot

I am a novice on sound, but is there anyway to mic the arangements on the table? could make for some interesting candid footage.
Richard D Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 06:05 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon East
Dan,

I use a wireless microphone with the G2 wireless adapter for toasts. I wouldn't use a lav system, since you would have to stop the flow to switch it between people.

If you want to cheat, stop by Sam Ash and buy a adapter that goes from microphone(I like the AKG mic, don't know the model off hand, it's $69) and use the adapter to plug into your wireless. That would be a way of getting wireless. Or buy an xlr cable and plug straight into the camera. Before I got my wireless, I used a cable for interviews.

Good luck

Jon
So there is an mic adapter from Sam Ash that will work with the Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 Series - UHF Lavalier Wireless System? I was under the impression I would have to spend the 250.00 for the one from Sennheiser adapter.
Old August 18th, 2006, 07:58 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard D Miller
I am a novice on sound, but is there anyway to mic the arangements on the table? could make for some interesting candid footage.
Technically you probably could, but it take many mic's and a good receiver to handle them all. Plus you'd have to record to an off-camera source, otherwise all of the conversations would just run together on the tape. Probably more money/effort than it is worth, but it would make for some interesting audio.
Mike Oveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 09:31 AM   #7
Major Player

I've seen a nice 24-track recorder with a lot of XLR inputs on it, with seperate audio controls for each for sale on B&H. It's a hard disk recorder, and it seemed like it was less than $1,000, but I honestly can't remember.

That might be good for some rehearsal dinner conversations... but I think many people might not like the idea of having all their conversations recorded. Maybe just the table with the bride and groom connected directly to your camera would work
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques