Wireless Communication Systems - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 28th, 2006, 05:15 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Thanks Karl,

I was curious to see how well they do when trying to monitor the audio, since Eartec builds their own earphones or puts thier name on a generic.

I'll probably end up getting the cheaper headphones to start with, since thier over the ear ones with a mic are a little pricey for what they are.
Old August 29th, 2006, 11:29 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Td 904 Pro

I just bought a TD 904PRO set of four radios (large cups to cover the whole ear) - they are on the way via UPS right now. Will test them over the weekend and will post the results next week.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=306129
Old August 29th, 2006, 11:44 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis
Thanks Karl,

I was curious to see how well they do when trying to monitor the audio, since Eartec builds their own earphones or puts thier name on a generic.

I'll probably end up getting the cheaper headphones to start with, since thier over the ear ones with a mic are a little pricey for what they are.
hello steven,

the main reason i bought my set was, having the option of listen to the audio as the cameraman, and have communication with others. just did not had the money to invest in a 4 or even 6 set up at the time.

greetings
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 08:29 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Got the eartecs in and have been playing with them off and on over the weekend.

So far - I like them and they have decent performance from a good distance (big reception hall style room with one person on one side, the other on the other side of the room).

Now, I haven't tried them in a real "work environment" (wedding), but so far - so good. The Monarch headsets are definitely better quality as far as materials (about the same as a basic walk-man headphones). The Cyber headsets offer the same audio quality - they are just flimsy - though my assistant like it because it is so light weight and she hates wearing bulky headphones. . . .

Not sure when I get to play with them in the field. My fall weddings lined up are all single camera right now. . . so I have no need to use them at this time.

Ryan
Ryan DesRoches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 12:46 AM   #20
Major Player

Looks like you can contact Eartec and customize any package to get the headphones you require with any package. (closed, open, or one ear, or with camera input, ect)

This looks somethign I need. The monarch headsets seem best for ablilty to moniotor camera audio.
Old September 27th, 2006, 04:37 PM   #21
Inner Circle

OK, I got to play with the 904 set... and I am dissapointed with the audio quality. I have a friend who sent back his set for the same reason, and the new one is no different. There are no high frequencies at all, and that makes it difficult to understand your partner. Are you guys happy with yours?

I am using mine in a church environment, a conservative church with no loud music, only organ, piano and choir.
Old September 27th, 2006, 09:08 PM   #22
Inner Circle

I'll gig test mine next weekend, if I hate the system, I'll try and return it, I'll be less than 30 days....

I am dissapointed so far in the sound quality.
Old September 27th, 2006, 09:48 PM   #23
Major Player

can you use any headset with a microphone with this system?
If so, Why not try buing just the radios and buy the headsets somewhere else?
Old September 28th, 2006, 04:55 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Persall
can you use any headset with a microphone with this system?
If so, Why not try buing just the radios and buy the headsets somewhere else?

I am going to test that as soon as I get a chance.
Old September 28th, 2006, 09:18 AM   #25
Wrangler

I've recently had the opportunity to use two different types of communication headsets in recent weddings. One was a motorolla type unit that is push to talk, the other was an Eartec unit that was full duplex.

I liked the build of the Motorolla unit but found the audio quality to be less than stellar. The other shooter often tried to communicate with me and I couldn't understand what he was saying.

On the other hand the Eartecs seem very cheaply built, the headsets are very plasticy and the connection to the belt unit would often pullout unexpectedly. However, that said the audio quality was worlds better than the Motorolla units and the convenience of full duplex was great.

I've held off on ordering the Eartec units simply because of the relatively low build quality and high price. Hand signals have been my staple of communication thus far.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 02:16 PM   #26
Regular Crew

I've had Eartec 902's for over a year, using them primarily for youth theater video recording. We use them for a minimum of 2 hours at a time up to six hours when we shoot a matinee and evening performance on the same day (with a couple of hour recharge break). By the end of a six hour day I am glad to get the headsets off, but they are OK. I have probably shot over a dozen performances with them.

First - I love having them; for the price they did exactly what I wanted. They are lightweight, reasonably comfortable with the headsets provided, and allow us to communicate using whispers. The longest distance I have used them is about 40 yards at an outdoor theater. They worked fine as long as we had the body packs "on the same side" - in other words when we started the other camera person was on my left and we each had the radio "on the outside"; mine on the right, hers on the left. We experienced some intermittent radio problems until we each moved our radios to the "inside" and the problems went away. In indoor theaters they generally work even through two or three walls - better in older buildings with less steel.

Regarding reliability - although the units are lightweight I can attest to the fact that they are sturdy simply due to the fact that I have dropped mine at least three times, from hip-height onto a concrete floor (ouch!). No failures so far although I don't recommend this as a way to test reliability!

Wish list - some way to lock in the headset (I too have unplugged it a couple of times by accident); and some way to more securely keep the unit on my belt (see above paragraph).

You mean I can get paid to do this?
John Cloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 02:35 PM   #27
Major Player

Glen,

We use the eartecs and they have stood through some abuse with no issues. So far.....they have paid off and I would not want to shoot a wedding without them. We've dropped them, banged them into hard objects, etc. and they still work fine.

We used to do the hand signal thing prior to the eartecs but doing that attracts unwated attention to yourself.....I know its better doing hand signals than free styling your shoots but I just dont like people looking at me.....and you know they are like..."what is this guy doing with his hands???"

my 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott
I've recently had the opportunity to use two different types of communication headsets in recent weddings. One was a motorolla type unit that is push to talk, the other was an Eartec unit that was full duplex.

I liked the build of the Motorolla unit but found the audio quality to be less than stellar. The other shooter often tried to communicate with me and I couldn't understand what he was saying.

On the other hand the Eartecs seem very cheaply built, the headsets are very plasticy and the connection to the belt unit would often pullout unexpectedly. However, that said the audio quality was worlds better than the Motorolla units and the convenience of full duplex was great.

I've held off on ordering the Eartec units simply because of the relatively low build quality and high price. Hand signals have been my staple of communication thus far.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 03:05 PM   #28
Major Player

I'd like to know what kind of hand signals you guys are using. What kinds of things do you have signals for... and how do you signal it?

Peter Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 11:40 PM   #29
Major Player

I just bought 3 of the Eartec radios and one of the Monarch headset, one of the slimline and a cyber headset. They seem to work good, but eartec promised they would be deliverd by acertain day and they arived 3 days later. Which was after the wedding I was planning on using them for. I was very angry at the wedding this weekend about not having headsets. -Back to using Bluetooth cellphones. =So I cant say there on the ball with there shipping, but otherwise i am pleased. The slimline and monarch headsets do seem a bit flimsy and delicate -like i could just snap them in two. -But ofcourse Im not going to test this. I did test the range and was happy with how far it could reach with one person inside a house and me in the next door neigbors yard across the street. The real test is my next wedding shoot in a loud chaotic reception hall.
Old October 9th, 2006, 06:04 PM   #30
Inner Circle

My report

Well, we had these things at the wedding this weekend.

First of all, we used them at the rehearsal as well, which is much better than yelling across the room, 'hey I'm going to catch this and that.'

Secondly of all, the headphones, the slim ones, are http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1051384863641
to my best recolection. If so, you can save yourself 5 bucks a pop, and get them local. The headsets are apparently made for people with big heads. I mean, I have an ego, but it won't grow my head into these slim head sets.

As for the Eartec's giving us the ability to communicate and keep track of the day, I give them a 9 out of 10 on that. I do feel that they are way over priced, which is the reason for the -1.

As for thier reception. I was very dissappointed in the reception of these things. I was inline with my wife from front to back of the sancuary, and the reception kept fading in and out.

I actually spoke to Eartec about the range ,and they had told me 1/4 miles. I highly doubt that.

The reception is very dissappointing considering the price of these things. The headsets are over priced, especially when you're selling something that is readily avalable.

My over all rating for this equipment would be a 6 out of 10. The reception and price are out of wack for what they are. It's just that noone else is making these things at the moment. When that happens, I could see Eartec having to change thier product or price, or even both.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques