My First Wedding Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 26th, 2006, 01:45 PM   #1
Inner Circle

My First Wedding Video

I'm doing a wedding for a friend. I've got one month to prepare so if I could get some help on what equipment I need and what’s involved to shoot it. I'm starting to read through old threads and the sticky training thread but in the mean time if you guys could post the basics to get me started.

I'll give you a quick summary so you'll know where I'm starting. I'm well versed in filming short education documentaries/interviews, some local access TV ads, and dance recitals. I've shot photography for two weddings and would have been more comfortable doing that but the bride had a friend who wanted to do it.

My equipment:
-vx2000 with dual xlr to 1/8 adapter
-Bogen 503/legs
-Wireless (1 reciever,1 lav/transmitter, 1wireless handheld mic)
-Steady cam

Equipment I'm considering getting:
-Another wireless lav
-Another camera (pd170, fx1, or zu1) I know it’s not ideal to mix formats but I'd like to get HD looking forward and for all non-wedding projects I do.
-Portable camera video light and battery pack.

How to film:

Ceremony: 1 camera in the balcony for the wide shot and one in the side aisle for close-ups. Not sure if the close-up camera should be hand held?

Formal portraits: film the formal photograph session.

Reception: bouquet, dance, best man toast, and roam around shooting each table.

That’s how I see doing it so if I'm missing something let me know or point me to an appropriate thread or book/article that covers it.

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; August 26th, 2006 at 02:26 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 07:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

This is more of a hobby so I'm not as experienced as many others here, but I think you've got a great start with the gear you have. Based on my past experiences, my lessons learned are the following:

- If at all possible, get a second camera operator. Running solo can be very tiring and frustrating sometimes, but it's feasible. Capturing spontaneous moments in real time alone is a challenge. I've started using 1 or 2 extra camera operators and what a difference it makes. And you can get both close up and wide shots when you want.

- Plan the exact shots you want to capture (e.g., shot of the B&G aisle walk, shot of the kiss, shot of unity candle, first dance, bouquet toss, cake cutting, etc.)... go guerilla style for the rest.

- Get plenty of smooth moving/tracking shots, they add a lot to these events. Will you be using your steadicam too?

Hope that helps in some way, good luck!
Armin DeFiesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 08:16 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin DeFiesta
- Get plenty of smooth moving/tracking shots, they add a lot to these events. Will you be using your steadicam too?
thx every bit helps. i have a steadicam but i don't really use it because my arm isnt strong enough even with the brace and its hard to balance. if i use wireless or a xlr adapter, i have to take them off then attach and balance the camera on the steadicam. in the mean time while I'm fooling around with it I'm missing crucial moments.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques