I don't know why you guys do it... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 5th, 2006, 02:41 PM   #16
Regular Crew

"I did mention to the photograher that at least she only has to make them look good for a 125th of a second at a time."

ha. What did she say?
Michelle Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 04:44 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Lewis
"I did mention to the photograher that at least she only has to make them look good for a 125th of a second at a time."

ha. What did she say?
Actually she was really cool. She was sympathetic (she too was battling the lighting). I don't think she'd thought of it like that before.

Of course photogs don't have to worry about audio (screaming child (mine) during speeches, etc.).

After reviewing the footage it really isn't as bad as I first thought. And the slight repeat in the audio, well they'll just have to live with that. I managed to strike somewhat of a balance. The H1 produces incredible images especially when using the custom presets. It's just the harsh lighting and the lack of an awning really detracts from what could have been some stunning images. I'm downconverting from HD to SD for post. But it still holds up pretty well.
Old September 6th, 2006, 04:25 PM   #18
Major Player

I shoot weddings because:
1) I find them extraordinarily fun to do.
2) While the capture process is a bit of a crap shoot, I get to document some fascinating story telling opportunities.
3) A wedding is a pivotal point in anyone's life, filled with a lot of hope and promise.
4) The years following a wedding can get very rocky. Mine was 24 years ago. It is still on firm ground, but the sailing has been far from smooth at times.
5) Maybe, just maybe, the work I do will serve as a reminder of the value of those hopes and promises when they are needed most.
6) First and foremost, I don't shoot weddings for the money. The money is fair compensation, to be sure. I probably would not do them without that compensation. Everything one does has to have some grounding in reality. Most of what I do is based upon the basic need to earn a living. Within those endeavors there has to be something that is purely for fun.
Compensation for that fun is a welcome perk.
Old September 6th, 2006, 11:35 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldemar Winkler
I shoot weddings because:
1) I find them extraordinarily fun to do.
2) While the capture process is a bit of a crap shoot, I get to document some fascinating story telling opportunities.
3) A wedding is a pivotal point in anyone's life, filled with a lot of hope and promise.
4) The years following a wedding can get very rocky. Mine was 24 years ago. It is still on firm ground, but the sailing has been far from smooth at times.
5) Maybe, just maybe, the work I do will serve as a reminder of the value of those hopes and promises when they are needed most.
6) First and foremost, I don't shoot weddings for the money. The money is fair compensation, to be sure. I probably would not do them without that compensation. Everything one does has to have some grounding in reality. Most of what I do is based upon the basic need to earn a living. Within those endeavors there has to be something that is purely for fun.
Compensation for that fun is a welcome perk.
That's the attitude you need.

Actually I hate to admit it but this wedding has been kind of a pleasant project to edit. Using only 1 cam makes post pretty quick and I'm using Vegas 6 and find it's really smooth. My wife is enjoying helping. The H1 can produce some stunning stuff. I picked up a copy of all the wedding tunes on CD from the sound guy which saved me searching for them. Should be about 12 maybe 15 hours for total post.

All in all, I think I'll be quite happy with the finished product.
Old September 7th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Diewert
Using only 1 cam makes post pretty quick
If by "quick" you mean saving time because that's the only footage then I agree - not much more you can do.

But I'd never go back to a single cam. With at least 2 cams there's so many angle options the edit is a lot less stressful IMO.

Sound's like yours is rolling along though.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 04:53 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Steele
If by "quick" you mean saving time because that's the only footage then I agree - not much more you can do.

But I'd never go back to a single cam. With at least 2 cams there's so many angle options the edit is a lot less stressful IMO.

Sound's like yours is rolling along though.
Yeah, I know what you mean. That's likely why I would never shoot weddings as a primary biz. You pretty much have to have spare everythings, just in case. Initially I thought I was going to have to cut in some B-roll stuff I shot (footage of a retrospective 'this is you life' slideshow). A well placed second cam would relieve some stress. More post but also more options.
Old September 7th, 2006, 04:58 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Diewert
Initially I thought I was going to have to cut in some B-roll stuff I shot
I remember those days - filling something in while I "ran" to the back of the church.

But there's only so many times you can use footage of the brides' parents or church windows. :)
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 12:39 AM   #23
Major Player

3 years ago, I absolutly hated the idea of doing weddings videos... but I got into it and now that Ive been doing it for 3 years Ive learned so much and I keep getting better. Any you know what i think overall after those 3 years...
I still hate doing weddings.

I think The reason I keep doing it is the lack of control and the hope that one day I will finaly shoot that one wedding video where everything goes right. Then Ill quit.
Old September 8th, 2006, 01:16 AM   #24
Major Player

I have that same attitude toward golf, after I birdy every hole in a round of 18, I'll quit.
Dennis Khaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 06:35 PM   #25
Major Player

[QUOTE=
But I'd never go back to a single cam. With at least 2 cams there's so many angle options the edit is a lot less stressful IMO.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely! I've done single cam shoots for years, because that is all I had to use. Got rather good at the process, if I do say so myself. Recently, I had a situation where a makeshift "kneeling altar" had been set up for the ceremony. No ifs, butts, or maybes, I knew I was in for several minutes of backsides footage during the ceremony. For a moment I considered having a club capable of delivering significant blunt force at my next consultation (what don't you understand about a single camera shoot?), but chose to use my backup camera instead. One camera was locked on the tripod and the backup positioned to avoid the backsides.

That decision, combined with FCP5's "live mix" feature, made for a really great video in record time. No more single cameras for me!
Old September 15th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #26
Major Player

Producing wedding movies is a love/hate matter for me. After 4 years in this business, I'm still a nervous wreck for hours before a wedding. But, the reward comes when I know I just nailed a great scene or the B&G tell me they loved the movie.

I love the camera and editing opportunity to be creative...I hate the pre-wedding anxiety. Can anyone recommend a good drug?
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 09:22 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Harotunian
I love the camera and editing opportunity to be creative...I hate the pre-wedding anxiety. Can anyone recommend a good drug?
Two fingers of 18-year-old Glenfiddich. Neat.

That is all.

;-)
Ian Slessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 10:39 PM   #28
Inner Circle

i only just noticed i didnt answer the question.. lol

1) I love what i do... i do it well and poeple njoi my work. Im not out to make awards or to show off what i can and cannot do, i do a job that people appreciate, in a style which is my own.
2) I make new friends and get to know my clients intimately. Usually about 95% of the time im helping them sort out the sequence of their day. Its not my job to, but if i can put in 2c worth of ideas, then those ideas are usually taken and it makes their day run smoother, for them, and for us.
3) Creative freedom. Need i say more..
4) Its fun
5) working with phtoographers gives me insight into their mentality and attitudes. I learn from the best and ignore the arrogant types.
I like to bounce ideas and thoughts from them and usually the video and photos end up having a similar flow and feel. THis is one element i like to have with my work as every archived element of teh wedding "fits" Its not like th ephotos go one way, and the video goes off on a tangent
6) I like to help others in the industry. Despite my bluntness and sometimes arrogant nature, im really not stuck up. I like to see people progress and learn from my own experiences. If i had a mentor, i wouldnt be learning things the hard way, but i find its best to learn from experience.
7) What i do changes peoples lives. It affects their memories and documents a part of peoples lives which will never be repeated. Divorced now or not, is not the point. at THAT time, it was a pivotal moment. To be a part of that moment in anyones life, is a huge responsibility. I laugh at those that go and buy a cam and say "im going to shoot weddings" Its not that easy.
Yes one can always go out and "play it by ear" and shoot everything, but thats a foollsh approach..
It took me 18 months to go public with my video services, from inception, to business design to marketing, sales etc etc It only took this long because im not the type who wants to leave myself open to mistakes.
8) you get a decent meal.. ;)
9) the pay can be piss poor in quiet times, but working and budgeting effectively, one can make a decent living, pay the bills and earn quite a substantial profit
10) Did i mention its fun?
11) The pay. Les face it, most of wouldnt be doing this if we werent making money from it
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques