A couple of clips - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 20th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Chung

...I guess they can also keep the mixed sands as a memento of their union :) What explanation did the minister give, by the way?

Yeah, I think I recall that you use a small tilt head. Is it the Manfrotto 3232? It looks hard to adjust the tilt on that head from the picture. Do you have to screw and unscrew the head anytime you want to tilt and/or hold the head in place? Are there issues trying to get a smooth tilt using just the head?

Also, have you tried the new Manfrotto 560B video monopod?

I have a monopod but I want the legs for extra stability as it is pretty hard to get steady footage when trying to do high shots or simulate crane shots like you do in your clips...
Hi Peter,

The minister said it better than I can repeat, so I encoded that portion of the ceremony for you. He read the explanation after they poured the sand and after the song was over. To compress time and make the ceremony more enjoyable, we put his audio explanation of the sand ceremony in during the actual process. It's a way to compress time without losing anything, unless you just want to watch the minister say the words. Anyway here's the link.
http://www.tulsaweddingvideos.com/vi...ndCeremony.wmv

I actually use a 3063 head on that monopod. I have the same head on 5 other tripods and I have the same quick release plate on my Glidecam, Scorpion Support, and 685B monopod, so it just makes sense to use the same head. I don't use the 682B for traditional monopod shooting. I only use it for those high shots.

For traditional monopod shooting we use the 685B, which actually allows you to do a smooth pan without a head. The top handle rotates seperately from the shaft of the monopod. It is great.

I haven't see the 560B.
Old September 20th, 2006, 05:36 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Tham
Amazing . Really a FAIRY TALE kind of wedding video. I hope to learn from your videos . :) Thanks for posting
Hi Anthony,

You are welcome.
Old September 20th, 2006, 05:43 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M. Smith
Mark,

Your work inspires me. I'm just up the road from you in Joplin, MO. I'm just starting out, got a few weddings under my belt. All of my clients have seemed to love what I've delivered, but, truthfully, I've borrowed just a little bit from your style. So maybe it's YOUR work they love instead of mine! Anyway, I would LOVE to attend your Tulsa workshop in October, especially since I live so close, but the funds just aren't there right now. (I just invested in about $5K worth of new equipment.) My wife and I have said maybe we can shoot for the February 07 workshop. I hope someday to show you some of my work and hear your thoughts on it. I don't have it online yet, but I will soon.

But you always do such a fantastic job, and maybe someday I'll be good enough that I could actually provide you with some friendly competition! ;)

In any case, I hope that I'll be good enough to work with you and other top videographers to make this industry the best it can possibly be.

Thanks for doing it well.

-Dave
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the kind words. My style was influence by others who I admired. The key is to not merely copy someone else but take what they are doing and add some of your own personality to it.

We would love to have you down in Tulsa for a workshop. I understand about cash flow, so since October and Novemeber won't work for you, we will be announcing more dates for next year.

I like your attitude. You are just what we need more of in our industry.
Old September 20th, 2006, 06:34 PM   #19
Trustee

That chandelier shot was amazing. The rest was great, of course. I've always enjoyed watching your stuff.

Is it pretty standard for you to do an entire highlights in slow motion? I use a fair amount, but don't think I've ever done one completely like that. I do notice from watching the work of our friends to the south, that you seem to use more than we do. Maybe we're used to seeing things jump around in the cold more. Heh, heh...

One thing I admire is your ability to use voiceover in highlights effectively. I think 90% of the time when I see that, I feel that it doesn't work, but you manage to make it work very well.

Thanks for posting. Enjoyed it greatly...
Old September 20th, 2006, 07:55 PM   #20
Major Player

Hey guys,

By the way, I just happened to visit Mark's site and saw that he has a new training DVD out called The Art of the Edit. It looks like his introductory price is ending tonight so check it out if you'd like formal training from Mark Von Lanken himself ;)

I think his work speaks for itself and he's willing to share his techniques to help the industry improve as a whole.

Anyways, thought some of you may be interested :) I'm in!
Peter Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2006, 10:38 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo
Is it pretty standard for you to do an entire highlights in slow motion? I use a fair amount, but don't think I've ever done one completely like that. I do notice from watching the work of our friends to the south, that you seem to use more than we do...

One thing I admire is your ability to use voiceover in highlights effectively. I think 90% of the time when I see that, I feel that it doesn't work, but you manage to make it work very well...
Hi Vito,

Thanks for your kind words. Yes, it is pretty standard for us to do a majority of the Highlight in slow motion. The exception would be if the couple selected a fast song. I think the topic of slow motion could be best covered in a new thread, so I'll start one.

My wife, Trisha, is the voice over master at Picture This. She is the one that decides what to use and more importantly, what not to use. She also decides where it would best fit.

If you want to see a great example of Trisha's mastery of voice over look Cinemtaic Closing on our website. She trimmed back what the parents said and used cutaways to cover the edits. When she had to really edit what they said it goes totally to video and you don't see much of the person talking. You would not belive how many times the Bride said "and um". ;-)

Another example of great use of voice over is the Windows version of the Cinematic Highlight.
Old September 21st, 2006, 12:45 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Truly inspiring Mark. Very impressive!

What songs did you use for the SDE and highlight!!
Dan Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 01:28 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Minor
Truly inspiring Mark. Very impressive!

What songs did you use for the SDE and highlight!!
Hi Dan,

Thanks. The SDE was two songs from the Meet Joe Black soundtrack. The highlight was from the Lake House soundtrack.
Old September 23rd, 2006, 10:35 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Thanks for letting us know what cams you used Mark. I've been on the fence about getting either PD170 or the FX1. I still am on the fence. :) The fottage from your PDs looked great. I've been shooting with an XL1 for years and I do beg to differ with this: :)

"Over the years I have learned it doesn't matter as much which camera you use, but how you use it."

After this quote, your post did go on to acknowledge the issue of 3 chips and light sensitivity. I love my Canon WHEN I HAVE GOOD LIGHT TO WORK WITH. In the darker shots in your highlight reel I'm sure the Canon wouldn't be able to provide any useful images in that available light (even with the gain cranked and playing with shutter speeds).

I've done wedding over the years but have been working in pro video (or teaching production) for 20 years. I'm just now setting out to start a full-time biz specializing in (mostly) weddings. I'll be making a camera purchase to be used starting in spring. I'm still trying to figure which cam to get.

Thanks again for sharing your PD footage. Looks great.

-Don
Don Bazley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2006, 12:53 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by don bazley
Thanks for letting us know what cams you used Mark. I've been on the fence about getting either PD170 or the FX1. I still am on the fence. :) The fottage from your PDs looked great. I've been shooting with an XL1 for years...

...I love my Canon WHEN I HAVE GOOD LIGHT TO WORK WITH. In the darker shots in your highlight reel I'm sure the Canon wouldn't be able to provide any useful images in that available light (even with the gain cranked and playing with shutter speeds).

I'll be making a camera purchase to be used starting in spring. I'm still trying to figure which cam to get.

Thanks again for sharing your PD footage. Looks great.

-Don
Hi Don,

I shot with the XL-1 for 5 years. It is a good camera when you have enough light. That's a tough choice between the 170 and an FX-1. I do not have much experience with the FX-1, but I have heard people compare it with the XL-1 when dicussing light sensitivity. I don't personally know how accurate that comparison is.

If low light is your primary concern, it's an easy choice, the 170. The downside to the 170 is of course the DV format and 4x3. If you want to buy new cameras in the spring and keep them for 3-5 years, I think you have to go with the FX-1 to future proof you purchase.

If you do purchase new 170s in the spring, be willing to take a potential big loss on them when you sell to upgrade to HDV.

Two of my three cameras are 3 years old. I'm hoping the new version of the Z-1/FX-1, you know the ones that are better in low light, will come to market before I have to replace my aging cameras. Time will tell.
Old September 23rd, 2006, 01:41 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Thanks Mark. You have cited all of the factors I've been considering. I know 2 people that own the FX1 and they say its OK in low-light because if you crank the gain you get no noise.

I am looking to buy something I can use for a few years. I'm going to a trade show on Tuesday where there will be many vendors (Sony, JC, etc.). I hope I'll get a chance to see the FX1 in low light.

I do realize that if I but PD170 it won't be worth much in a year or two.

I think you have been another person to suggest that, considering my situation, the FX may be the way to go. I wonder how the FX would have done in the low-light situations you included in your highlight clip. (?) I am also hoping that the next HDV cams to come out will be better in low-light. Time will tell. :)

Thanks again.

-Don
Don Bazley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2006, 02:25 PM   #27
Major Player

I have seen footage from an FX1 in low light. While it is not as sensitive as the PD170, your friend is right in that the noise is almost not noticeable and you can crank the grain and it looks really good.

I plan on getting an FX1 on my next camera purchase.
Peter Chung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques