Did you get that?? Did you get that?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 28th, 2006, 10:44 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Did you get that?? Did you get that??

hehehehe
im just editing a video here.. as usual.. funny stuff..

at every major element which bought on afew laughs, someone would ask me (audible out of shot) "did u get that.. "

then.. at the ceremony.. the brides watching my every move...

THEN.... during the photoshoot.. afew of the boys were acting up.. and i pan across to the bride.. shes staring at me.. "did u get that"

hehehee
at the reception... during the speeches... one unmanned cam to the lectern... the other getting candids...
laughs here and there... brides STARING at me and the other cam "did u get that.. "

During the bridal waltz... kiss.. then stares at me... "did u get that.. "
Dip.. "did u get that... "

pretty funny stuff...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2006, 10:57 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Wow. That's... Wow.

I would have trouble restraining my sarcasm from replying with "Well, the camera IS pointed at you, isn't it?"
Ben Brainerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 05:15 AM   #3
Major Player

LOL, Peter J (I like your name, by the way ;)

People tend to freeze up and "pose" when they see a camera but I try to prevent from the start, especially when it comes to the bride, I just say, "Keep doing what you're doing, guys. Pretend I'm not here."

Once the bride catches on and she sees other members of the party "posing," she tells them, "Just keep doing what you're doing. Don't worry about him."

:)
Peter Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 06:12 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
hehehehe
im just editing a video here.. as usual.. funny stuff..
This is why I like editing almost as much as the actual shoot. I can finally breathe a little, and get a kick out of the neat stuff.
Old September 29th, 2006, 06:40 AM   #5
Inner Circle

oh if i notice the bride or anyone else for that matter looking at the camera, i nosedive the cam and make a joke with them and how they should be looking at the photographer.. not me..
i do that once.. and they get my drift.. i ususally tell them im gona float around so they can just "do what ur gonna do"

Bit it think if they dont see you, they sometimes think "youre not working "
Old September 29th, 2006, 08:45 AM   #6
Trustee

I had a nightmare bride last year who practically chased me around everytime I stopped recording. She also sent her guests after me. Everytime something happened, I would get panicked parents and guests waving frantically in my direction and pointing at the action in question. And I'm not talking about important speeches or whatever that I was missing. I mean stuff like a little kid dancing. Didn't matter if I had already got 5 minutes of footage of the same kid...

At one point I went into the adjoining room to tape the 'sweet table' before it was opened. On my return, I was accosted by a guest who yelled "where the hell were you? It's supposed to be constant filming!" When I asked where he got that idea, he sheepishly said "the bride."

The bride herself never took her eyes off me. She'd be dancing and staring at me. If I stopped the camera, she would make filming motions. It was creepy.

At one point, after a while of pretending to tape constantly, I'd had enough and explained that she should enjoy her reception and let me do my job, not to worry, etc, etc. She claimed she had agreed with the studio owner to have an extra long video and that he told her I would film constantly. Turned out it was a complete lie.

Man, I couldn't wait to get out of there. Left a huge bad taste in my mouth for the entire winter, as it happened to be the last gig of the season.

Goddamn I hated that woman!
Old September 29th, 2006, 11:32 AM   #7
Inner Circle

dude, thats intense man..

ive had Maco weddings where its full on traditional.. when i was taking a break having a durry with the best man (umm.. ok.. wel i took a smoko break for those non aussie people... lol) anyways.. i too a break (we start at 830 in the morning filming all the families arriving) some guy (dunno who) came up and said "why arent u filming? i wanna see EVERY MINUTE... im like.. dude, take it up with the bride and groom. Im here to do a job. I'll say this once. If you get in my way, i WILL leave.
(its even in my contract.. lol)

Thereve been times where family and friends are like... oooh look at that.. look at this.. u shoudl be filming.. blah blah..

I mean sure enough sometimes it helps, but id rather not be told what to shoot and how to shoot it..
But if anyone gets in my way or annoys me, i tell teh bride and groom to advise that person to stay out of my way. If i cannot do my job freely (as per the contract) i pack and leave.

Ive sent staff home in the past as the attitude to my first assistant's are usually far less than respectful. As most of them are female, while most of the time its my wife... some of the comments and snide remarks ( ie X rated video... ) are so out of line, that i have been known to tell off a drunkard or 7...
Dont be afraid to stick up for your staff. If ur not seen to protect ur staff in any environemtn, you can be liable.

In the end, its the "what are u doing" mentality which annoys me. Some people dont know what you do or how u do it, and others want to get invovled in matters which dont concern them.
Old September 29th, 2006, 06:29 PM   #8
Trustee

Yeah, so far I've been lucky about that kind of thing. Maybe that's why that woman was such a shock.

I mean, I understand when some proud dad points at their kid doing something funny and wants me to tape it. Not my favourite thing, but I get why they do it. So I grin and bear it.

But this was evil...

And the groom was oblivious. He was just having a great time, drinking and dancing. Had no idea that he was headed for a life in hell. I felt for him, man.
Old September 29th, 2006, 06:42 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo
And the groom was oblivious. He was just having a great time, drinking and dancing. Had no idea that he was headed for a life in hell. I felt for him, man.
Haha... I guess that's one way to look at the bright side... you only had to deal with her for one day... he has to deal with her for the rest of his life. Yikes!
Peter Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2006, 11:41 PM   #10
Inner Circle

lol oh mate, i can tell u bridezilla stories.. liek teh bride who wrote out the reception itinirary minute by minute (i kid u not, i still have it as a warning to other brides)

6:13pm XYZ recpetion staff to light table candles
6:18pmx XY Reception staff to light main table candles and dancfloor candleabras
6.21pm Guests asked to take their seats
6.25 Announcment of bridal party
6:29 bridal party to stand in front of table for photo oppp.. (then she lists names and a has a floor layout.. lol)
6.35 Bridal party to be seated
6.37 Entre to be served to bridal party

and so on..

she showed up to the church 40 ninutes late coz of traffic
Her photographer got lost at the photoshoot
She ended up arriving at the reception 7.17pm

Old September 30th, 2006, 12:52 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
lol oh mate, i can tell u bridezilla stories.. liek teh bride who wrote out the reception itinirary minute by minute (i kid u not, i still have it as a warning to other brides)
I had a bride like that too. Not quite as anal as that, but close. She had these amazing plans all throughout the prep period. We got to the day of, and between the ceremony and reception, I pulled out my copy of the schedule and asked if anything had changed.

She looked at the sheet, shook her head like she couldn't believe she wrote it, and said "Yeah. Ignore the times. There's no way it'll go by the schedule."

So we played it by ear. And you know what? She was the happiest bride I've ever seen during the reception. Too much planning is bad for you.
Ben Brainerd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques