Fast-ish Highlights, a little different - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 1st, 2006, 05:40 PM   #16
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F Smith
Very Nice Camera work!

You cut timing was bad in my opinion. It is usually not a good idea to make the cuts at the same time as a peak music event. It makes the video very hard to watch and not flow well. The cuts should come several frames before or after the peak music event, in your case the base drum. This is a suttle thing but very important.

Mike Smith

I like the idea Mike. I did try that for several of the cuts but it really seemed ot throw the piece off. I must have watched it several times in that fashion and it just didn't feel right but perhaps I wasn't doing it exactly right. In the end I opted for the safe, to the beat, route.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 05:46 PM   #17
Still Motion

Billy,

I used a Magiqcam which is alike a glidecam, but also has the vest and arm. For the past couple weddings I have tried shooting with just a glidecam and have been comparing it to the Magiqcam and, in the end, I really find that the vest and arm provides many more advantages over disadvantages for prep style footage.

Dan,

Thanks for the comments. I just watched the clio again myself to try and catch that and ended up not noticing it as I got caught up in the clip. That is something I try to avoid but the larger problem is that I have found my camera movement is much easier in that direction with the Magiqcam, so naturally more of my shots end up that way, which makes it tough when it comes to the editing.
Old October 1st, 2006, 05:51 PM   #18
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Esslinger
Patrick,

I have a question. This is obviously a highlight film - and a great one. What else if anything did the you deliver to the bride and groom. Does anyone just deliver a well made highlight fillm, or does it just depend on what you contract for? Also, what stabilizing unit did you use so gracefully?

Hi Terry,

On certain dates we do offer a highlights only package as an add-on to our photo service. This particular package also included a short-form ceremony, speeches, an artistically edited first dance, and a reception montage which often takes as long or longer than the highlights (due to split screen, timing effects etc).

The stabilizer was a Magiqcam. From a fun point of view, this is a great stabilizer. It really gives you a lot of options and can be used for long periods of time.
Old October 1st, 2006, 07:39 PM   #19
Major Player

oh too bad, I really liked that song and wanted to use it.
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 02:59 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Hi Patrick,

I just wanted to tell you how much I really, really enjoyed your piece! I know some other people have asked you this, but I was wondering if anyone else here knows the name of the song you used. Thanks.
Ben Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 10:00 AM   #21
Still Motion

Ben,

I'll see what I can do about getting you the name of the song, as well as the others who posted here. I will talk with the couple who gave it to me and post back if I find out more.
Old October 28th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Thanks a lot Patrick, it is much appreciated.
Ben Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 11:03 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau
Ben,

I'll see what I can do about getting you the name of the song, as well as the others who posted here. I will talk with the couple who gave it to me and post back if I find out more.
Thank you very much, I am very interested in the name of the song.
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Nice work Patrick. What camera was that clip shot with?

-Don B.
Don Bazley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #25
Still Motion

Don,

It was shot with 2 VX2001, a PD170 and a PDX10.

Patrick
Old October 30th, 2006, 11:35 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply Patrick. I'm the guy (one of many I assume) that is going to be buying a cam (s) in the next month or so and is on the fence between getting a Vx2100 and a PD170 or getting a Z1 or FX1 and using my XL1 as a second cam. I'm still on the fence. I know nothing can compare with the VX/PDs in low light. Maybe I'll end up getting them (and end up with cams with very little value n a year or so). It's a tough time to be making this decision but I want to be able to get soemthing in january so I can be used to the new cams by the time wedding season comes around. Any further thoughts on my "dilemma" are appreciated.

-Don
Don Bazley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #27
Still Motion

Don,

If it was my purchase I would go with a used 2100 or 170, which ever comes up first at the best price. They are so cheap now, when you get them second hand, that I really wouldn't worry about the value drop. The low light and overall picture quality, in my opnion, is very good for what clients are looking for today, and by the time you need HD, you will have gotten the value out of this cam already. I had the FX1 for a while and sold it, decided to stick with the 2100 and PD170 until the HD cameras aren't a step back in low light.
Old October 30th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Thanks again Patrick. I agree that it looks like the thing to do for me now is go with VX/PD. As I said, I own a XL1. I've budgeted about $5000. I think I'll take your advice and look for one used VX and one used PD and use the XL1 as my "spare".

Very interesting to hear that you went with the FX1 for a while and still came back to the PDs. I have been thinking it'd be best to wait until the HDVs come out with more light sensitivity. Your comments have me thinking I've been thinking the right thing. :) I appreciate the input.

I guess the thing that has kept me on the fence is when I hear someone say it would not make sense at this time to get a 4:3 SD camera. I think until the technology evolves a bit more (HDV in lowlight as well as HDV delivery/viewing) I will do just that. I figure I'll make my $$$ off those cams even if I only use them for one year.

-Don
Don Bazley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques