IRivers and PA systems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 4th, 2006, 05:29 PM   #1
Major Player

IRivers and PA systems

Hi All, Is it possible to plug an Iriver IFP-890 into a PA system's line-out to record decent sound of an live band?

Or would I be better off just using my Rode VM plugged into my DVC30 (sans XLR adaptor)

Instead of using the PA I could set up my two Irivers with giant squid mics to the left and right of the band..?

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 09:02 PM   #2
Major Player

I have used and iriver to take a direct feed from both pa & audio mixers. Be sure you take a line out that has the main mix. I usually have the input level of the iriver at 32. I prefer the levels to be low and boosted in post than clipping.

If you have any type of led or level indicator you can connect to the pa output it will eliminate a lot of guesswork. The irivers do not have an auto level to compensate if the pa sound is adjusted higher or lower.

Hope this helps will be glad to answer any questions.
George Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 09:46 PM   #3
Major Player

I have used my iRiver ifp795 to record off a dj mixer at receptions several times. I usually set my iRiver to 45. I have actually had a few occasions where 45 has been a lot lower signal than what I would like, but occasionally it is too high. There is no good way to know without any meters or AGC.

On the other hand... I recently purchased an iRiver H320 20GB HDD unit that has line in. I haven't received it yet but think I will have it tomorrow. The H320 does not have meters or AGC either... at least not with the stock firmware :)

I am planning to replace the iRiver firmware with RockBox (www.RockBox.org) which is... I guess kind of like linux for MP3 players...

It adds some new features to the iRiver including much needed tools for recording. From what I understand it adds peak meters, the ability to adjust recording gain while recording, AGC, a clip light where the iRiver screen back light flashes when the input clips... I have not gotten to test it out yet.. but from what I have read it seems very promising. I'll let everybody know how I like it once I get it, figure out how to upgrade the firmware, and test it out.
Old October 5th, 2006, 05:18 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys, excellent info,

Is the connecton on a PA system usually a 3.5 jack or will I need a different cable other than a 3.5 to 3.5?

Thanks again
Old October 5th, 2006, 08:11 AM   #5
Major Player

Most common have been dual rca, 1/4 phone and xlr. After connecting to the iriver I always check with the headphones for sound quality and levels.
Old October 5th, 2006, 08:35 AM   #6
Major Player

I usually connect my iRiver to the REC OUT of a DJ's board. This is a high impedance and, most importantly, constant signal level that is not affected by any changes made on the DJ's master fader. The REC OUT is usually a stereo RCA connection, so a simple Dual RCA to 3.5mm stereo plug is all that is needed.
Old October 5th, 2006, 08:53 PM   #7
Regular Crew

iRiver T30

I'm sorry for jumping-in this thread.
My question is Which of the iRiver MP3 players have both mic input and line in capabilities. I want to be able to mic-up the groom at the ceremony and then be able to get a direct feed from the DJ's mixer during the reception.
Will the iRiver T30 work.
Thanks for the input(s) on this thread
Eb Samba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 09:11 PM   #8
Major Player

Sorry the t30 will not work; it is deceiving on the line in.

The t30 series will accept a line in signal only, so if you want to use the t30 connected to a pa system or audio mixer it should work fine. However it will not accept a microphone level input.

The older irivers have the same exterior labeling for a line input however in the menu system you can select mic or line level for the signal. This will accommodate the line level signal, dj board, pa mix etc or a mic level such as micing up the groom.

Just remember to either have two dedicated irivers one for the mic at the ceremony and one for the dj at the reception or if using single iriver change the menu setting from mic to line. If you connect a line input and the menu is set to mic it will overdrive and distort. Opposite if you set the menu to line and connect a mic it will be to low of signal and nothing will be recorded.

If you cannot get a direct feed from the dj the sennheiser 604 drum mic is a popular choice for placing in front of the dj's speaker(s).

Even thought the irivers with mic inputs are discontinued they can still be purchased from numerous vendors. You may also want to consider the new Samson zoom recorder.

There are many discussions on the topic but if you don't find an answer searching please ask.
Old October 5th, 2006, 09:43 PM   #9
Regular Crew

older irivers

George
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.
Which of the Old iRivers have the capabilities of both mic input and line input.
Once again thanks. Also thanking everyone who contributed or contributs to this thread.
Eb Samba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 03:30 AM   #10
Major Player

Ed, I picked an iFP-8xx model and IFP-7xx model on Ebay for peanuts. If I remember rightly it's these two series's that are suitable for mic and line-in recording.

Once you have them, do a search for Giant Squid on this forum. This is a guy based in the US who makes custom mic's for these units. I have two and they are excellent, very reasonable too.
Old October 6th, 2006, 07:07 AM   #11
Major Player

Got my H320. Loaded RockBox. So far so good.

Lots of recording options... several different MP3 quality setings up to 320kbps... and wav recording.

The peak meter is a really nice feature... the left/right channel gain can be linked and controlled together, or adjusted independently. Gain can even be controlled while recording. I have read mixed reviews on the AGC settings... I need to test it out a little more. So far worth every penny of $150.
Old October 6th, 2006, 07:39 AM   #12
Major Player

One thing to make sure of when trying to take a board feed from a band, is that everything is going thru the board. Many times, as in my old band, it's only vocals(and saxophone) thru the PA, guitars, bass keys, etc relied on their own amps, and drums were not miked at all. wouldn't want to see anyone go thru the trouble of taking a board feed and wind up with pristine vocals and nothing else.
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 08:03 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bean
Sorry the t30 will not work; it is deceiving on the line in.

The t30 series will accept a line in signal only, so if you want to use the t30 connected to a pa system or audio mixer it should work fine. However it will not accept a microphone level input.

The older irivers have the same exterior labeling for a line input however in the menu system you can select mic or line level for the signal. This will accommodate the line level signal, dj board, pa mix etc or a mic level such as micing up the groom.

Just remember to either have two dedicated irivers one for the mic at the ceremony and one for the dj at the reception or if using single iriver change the menu setting from mic to line. If you connect a line input and the menu is set to mic it will overdrive and distort. Opposite if you set the menu to line and connect a mic it will be to low of signal and nothing will be recorded.
Something you might want to try is to purchase a line matching attenuator. These devices are relatively inexpensive and have a small transformer inside to step the signal's impedance up or down by a fixed amount. Most of the RCA/F to 3.5mm/M adapters I have seen are to step down line levels to mic level. Finding one that goes the other way with the same connections may be a bit difficult.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques