Client Review - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 17th, 2006, 08:36 AM   #31
Inner Circle

oh, i have in big fat bold capitals that "EDITING WILL NOT BEGIN UNTIL ALL CONDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS ARE MET" and associated information and materials are provided to us by the client.

thing is, even with this, its usually THEIR fault that its taken so bloody long to get the goods to them, and to many, this ignorance isnt somthing that they can handle.
Some are OK, but most of the ones who complain are teh ones whove taken their merry time with music, then expect u to jump hoops for them.

Funny though, i have high end clients whove paid $8k+ for tehir videos... and i tell you, not ONE of these clients who has delayed in giving me their stuff has complained. Its the cheaparsed low life scumbags who bitch and moan and frankly, ive had enough.
Im dealing with 2 clients as we speak whove taken over a year to ge their act together and then have the audacity to comaplin that its "been over a year"

No.. enough is enough.. we do what we do because we love it and were good at it. We make afew bux from it, but anyone running their own business who puts the kind of work we do wouldnt be doing it..

this is a joke of an industry, which has had negative precedents set by unskilled and illinformed ancestors before our time.
Theyve set up the industry back then for a a quick buck and hobbyist mentality, never to consider the implications it will have on the future of the wedding video industry itself.
THAT has now forced us to continue to evovle the industry to what it is today, without much room for us to showcase the differences between what was back then, compared to teh possibilites of today..

Only we can change the attitude of the client, but until the clients themselves are educated in what we do, then and only then, will we be appreciated for our work and dedication, and only THEN will we supercede our predecessors to overide the pathetic structures and misinformed public awareness of what we do.

Ive really had it with wedding video clients.. trully, i have never come across a group of ungrateful people who will do what they can to milk as much from you as is humanly possible.
You dont go to KMart and ask for a free brush with your hairdryer, u dont buy a washing machine and expect detergent..
What makes us any different?

I want to know whos smart idea it was to set these "business" structures in motion, as the public themselves NOW seem to thnk that its ok to ask for discounts and the like..
Whoever it was needs a lesson in business management and planning..

but i tell you, it wont change.. so long as backyard warriors are out there trudging through trying to make a name for themselves, and for every mistake they make, that precedent will always exist...
Until the industry is regulated, it wont EVER change..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 08:58 AM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
Its the cheaparsed low life scumbags who bitch and moan and frankly, ive had enough.
Holy crap! I think I just snorted a bagel through my nose....

Thanks Peter, for the first good laugh of the day.
Old October 17th, 2006, 09:26 AM   #33
Inner Circle

glad you enjoyed it.. pretty funny really.. coz this guy im dealing with now, tried to get me to compete with another company during the booking. Ohtheyre giving me this and that.. and im like.. good for them..
but they booked me even thoguh i am more expensive and offered less..
Now this dudes been married since Feb last year.. i got their music choice in July THIS YEAR.. but they didnt say where they wanted the music..
now they tell me...

and now they want "compensation"

oh theres another one..

i cant believe it took u a year to do this much..

err.. dude.. u gave me ur music 5 weeks ago... and you recieved your prelim well before the 18week turnaround. What part of "the following material content does NOT represent teh finished product" dont understand..

jeez these people drive me INSANE!!!!!!!

Oh heres a doozy

"Other than that" < here hes refering to remvoing a shot of teh bride as she drops her head which creates a double chin... and a chot of mum gettin her makeup done... >

" it looks good so far. As discussed at our original meeting
> we were under the impression there would be a lot more effects in the
> presentation though I'm sure this is the case for the shorter versions"

((And WHEN pray tell.. did movies include pacman transitions and flying paper aeroplanes? or would you prefer spinning cubes?
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2006, 07:07 PM   #34
Regular Crew

I do.

I give clients ONE proof disk, they can make whatever requests they want. I grant what I can. I tell them this in my contract. If they make an unreasonable request I tell them I cant and give them an extra copy or two to make them happy. Been lucky so far, I have worked for some very nice people.
Eugene Bare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 09:17 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Peter you crack me up, because everything you say is so true. I have to amend everything in my contract to prevent my schedule from being held up because of non-delivery of music. I had a situation this week where all of a sudden the video is done, and a bride now wants music put in. Do you know how many times it was asked for? I told her I was happy to re-edit at $100 hour. Tune changed.

You talk about 'emotional attachment.' I'M the one who gets emotionally attached when I sit for hours and hours editing someone's event. Then I get really disappointed when the bride doesn't invest in me, the way I invested in making her DVD look beautiful. I always do more than I should. I always put more time and technique in, and I shouldn't. That's just who I am. But I won't do it anymore. I think this is the worst part of being a videographer, the lack of appreciation. Because of this, I'm developing the photography part of my business more and the videography less. I will offer both services, but hopefully as a packaged set. I totally get why videographers are disappointed no one truly appreciates their talents in the moment.
Michelle Lewis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques