Credit/Self-Promotion Wedding DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 13th, 2006, 08:29 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Credit/Self-Promotion Wedding DVD

I usually put 6 second screen with my name and website on the start up of the dvd. I'm wondering would this be considered impolite for a wedding video? Do you put your name on the menu? What is the ettiquete for self-promotion/credit for weddings.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 08:46 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Good question. Not so much impolite as very non-you. You'd not see a wedding album of photos shouting the photographer's name on page one, and if you did it would scream 'Naff!' at you loud and clear.

Have a very small logo, website, contact number etc fade from and to black a few seconds after the last note had died away. Think how the couple are going to feel as they sit down to watch this film for the first and forthieth time. Less is more.

Lots of contact details on the DVD insert sheet is fine.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2006, 08:00 PM   #3
Inner Circle

thx. i guess the reason i put my name in the start up is that dvds aren't always shown all the way through or the credits are commonly skipped. But in this case I agree, I'll add it to the end and put it on the jacket that should be sufficient. no need to be heavy handed.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2006, 12:21 AM   #4
Major Player

I don't do it, but why not? Every movie you watch has at least (or so it seems) the flashing logos of every producer, associate producer, 2nd and 3d rate producer involved in the production. And that is before the distributors get into the act. What seems like fifteen minutes later I am finally allowed to see the opening credits of the feature I wanted to watch in the first place.

I don't to it now, but I will be doing it next year. The fun part will be to design a very appropriate introductory logo.
Old October 14th, 2006, 04:17 AM   #5
Major Player

Reading this thread prompted me to pull off the shelf the VHS tape of our son's wedding 7 years ago. In fact, I think this is the first time I've blown dust off of this video in about 5 years.

The outfit that taped the wedding in DC was based in MD. It starts out with some cheesy instrumental and a 10-second screen of the company's name superimposed over video of the usual DC sites, then fades to "Presents," then the names of the B&G, etc.

I've always put all my info at the tail end of the video, as well as on the dvd, and on the dvd case. I don't have any plans to change the format.

However, looking at that 7-year-old vhs tape, starting out with the production company's name doesn't seem out of place. Maybe it could've been done better, but it's not obnoxious or distracting. And, Pete, putting your company's name up front probably is a good marketing tactic. As long as it's appropriate for the occasion, I see no problem with doing that.
Tom Tomkowiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2006, 07:28 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I think the point you make Waldemar is confined to movies made for the paying general public. What we're doing here with a wedding film is providing a very personal service indeed, where the b & g are all important and their feelings should be respected - even at the expense of your self promotion.

You wouldn't expect to see the flowers advertise the florist around the vase, and you wouldn't expect to see the Rolls Royce to have a website painted down the side.

Label the DVD's printed surface certainly, and the insert sheet also - you want to make it easy for the b & g to order more copies and to pass on your details in recommendation.

Discretion is the better part of valour.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2006, 04:20 PM   #7
Major Player

We have a 6 second clip of our logo in 3d which plays at the beginning of each video we produce. I have yet to find a couple complain about this. The logo clip just states our name and no other information though. However, it does let everyone know that it is our work and no one else's.
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick
I think the point you make Waldemar is confined to movies made for the paying general public. What we're doing here with a wedding film is providing a very personal service indeed, where the b & g are all important and their feelings should be respected - even at the expense of your self promotion.

You wouldn't expect to see the flowers advertise the florist around the vase, and you wouldn't expect to see the Rolls Royce to have a website painted down the side.

Label the DVD's printed surface certainly, and the insert sheet also - you want to make it easy for the b & g to order more copies and to pass on your details in recommendation.

Discretion is the better part of valour.

tom.
You are absolutely right in labeling our work as a personal service. However, I disagree regarding business promotion. I do in fact see florist and limo advertising at wedding sites. Of course, I do have to look carefully to find the respective business name. A tasteful silkscreen on the limo driver's window or a discrete card hidden within the stems of perhaps only one floral arrangement. Nothing loud. Just enough to get the message across to those who want to know.

As I have already mentioned, I have yet to place any kind of introductory logo on my finished wedding videos. I do like the idea, and if I can make an introductory logo look the way I think it should look, I am going to use one.

For a long while I thought as you do. From my current perspective it is makeing mugh more sense to have logo identification on both ends of the video.
Old October 15th, 2006, 05:39 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I have a 5 second fade-in and out clip of my logo right in the beginning of the video. I really don't think it is obtrusive at all and this way people know who made it. I don't think people really stick around for the end credits so I didn't want that to be the only place my name shows up.
Andrea Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 01:36 AM   #10
Inner Circle

i have different logo routines..

for weddings theres a 10second backlit kinda text thing happening with a 5.1 mix as an intro
Its impressive, so people dont complain.
When its over, I also throw in a text credit roll message congratualting the couple.
Ads a personal touch and a final word to the piece... i usually throw this in before the secret messages... plays with their head.. just when they think its over.. bang, heres the surprise..

for corporate, its a dead simple presented by blah blah

for reception SDE's/slideshows the credit is at the end.. (as above) very simple but its
Presente by www.XYZ.com.au

this way potentials know the website if theyre interested.. and tehy see the work before hand, so usually they jsut email to book without even seeing demos, coz theyve seen me work and theyve seen teh results

In 6 years i had one client ask to remove the logo, and i refused. Then again, i could go on about her.. but i wont..

in my contract, logos and intro pieces and Dolby trailer choices are at my discretion.. if its upbeat and fun, i use the helicopter over the movie theatre, if its mellow and strictly formal, i use Aurora

all these help the vibe, despite what people think.. the more it FEELS like a movie, the more the clients get into that mindset..
I also use darker gamma configurations and set my final work calibrated to cinematic levels and put on the box that "for an optimal viewing experience, please set your tv mode to "cinema" brightness

it all starts with the intro..

Also with titles, i DONT have a seperate title page or credit roll for them.. titles are overlaid as we watch teh footage.. much like a TV show or Movie...
If the clients wants a tv style intro/outro, then that costs extra
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques