Insurance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 14th, 2006, 03:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Insurance

Does anyone know of any groups that as a member you can purchase liability insurance at a good rate. Just looking for the old lady who takes a headlong over my tripod leg or something like that.

Mike
Mike F Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2006, 05:06 PM   #2
Major Player

Mike...check this company.

R.V. Nuccio & Associates, Inc.
10148 Riverside Drive
Second Floor
Toluca Lake, CA. 91602
1-800-364-2433

The underwriter is Fireman's Fund Insurance Co., one of the biggest in the country.

Liability rates are very reasonable.....less than $200.00 per year I believe.

Good luck.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2006, 11:18 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Double what Joe said. Goto RVNUCCIO.COM for real quick way to find the rate. Fill out the form on line and it will give you the rate including a miilion in liability. I've been with them for about 3 or 4 years and tout them to everyone. It's their specialty.30K in gear and the liability is about 400per year depending on your geographic area.
BTW, thats for one person operating, if you want to have more than that the rates are slightly higher of course.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 10:54 PM   #4
Trustee

That's the company that I have heard a lot of recommendations about as well, however, I have not had any luck getting any acknowledgement from them.

This means that at the moment, I currently don't have my gear insured, and the few locations I shot at this year that require presented proof for shooting ended up fanning it....but I was just lucky. I've been too busy to look into why Nuccio has not responded, but when things slow down next week and I can catch a breath, I will try them again...(last time) before I seek another option.

What I did was go to their site and found all their info. I downloaded the pdf applications and filled everything out. I then mailed them the full completed packet....and waited. After a few weeks, I was close to a deadline for a shoot that required proof of insurance, so I called them up and asked if I can re-send a packet over fax. They said that would be fine, so I faxed it shortly thereafter.

Again, I never heard any type of response, but at the same time, they also never processed my payment info for coverage, so technically, I have not been ripped off...however, if it turns out that I incorrectly filled out the paperwork (which I am sure was just fine), then it would have been helpful to get a call from them to steer me right....but so far they have just basically indicated to me that they really don't want my business.

BTW: I don't have anything in my history or business operations that scream LIABILITY. I am fully above board, licensed, registered, conscientious, responsible, funded, and BUSY. It sure would be nice to get the insurance portion of my paperwork out of the way.

If anyone else out there has had issues with trying to get through to someone at Nuccio, please let me know how you worked through it. Or, if you know of any viable alternative, that would be helpful also.

Thanks.
Sorry for highjacking the thread.
-Jon
Old October 17th, 2006, 05:54 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I just renewed this past month and not only did I receive a copy of the policy in the mail but also by email so I don't know whats going on other than to say they are probably very busy. No excuse but beleive me, they are first a reputatble company, second call Vivian and leave a message for her. Shes slow but returns the calls. I've been doing business with them for 4 years and have found them to be a good company. Just swamped with business.

Don
Old October 18th, 2006, 06:43 PM   #6
Tourist

Errors and Omissions Insurance

Regarding RVNUCCIO, do they also offer Errors and Omissions Insurance? And does the liability insurance also cover equipment that may get stolen while filming an event?
Thank you.
Mary Ann
Mary Ann Prunier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 07:17 PM   #7
Major Player

"Liability" insurance does not cover property.....that is property insurance, and yes....they offer it as well as liability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann Prunier
Regarding RVNUCCIO, do they also offer Errors and Omissions Insurance? And does the liability insurance also cover equipment that may get stolen while filming an event?
Thank you.
Mary Ann
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2006, 09:07 PM   #8
Inner Circle

As Joe said LIABILITY is for just that and the gear is covered under the PROPERTY part of the policy. As for E&O insurance it depends on what you're shooting and how well your service agreement is written. If you're doing weddings and the like you probably don't neeed it as your service agreement should cover all possibiliities, if you're doing a corporate shoot then again your agreement should be written to cover you. I haven't had an E&O policy for many years but I pay my lawyer a fair sum to keep my agreements current, up to date and to make sure they cover my butt. I don't think NUCCIO sells it anyway but check the website. The policy is spelled out in detail as to whats covered and not.
Don
Old September 25th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #9
Trustee

Creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak (Thread resurrection)

RV Nuncio has jacked up rates to $475 for one shooter and $800-ish for up to 4 shooters. That is at $50K of equipment. Their web site doesn't indicate if this policy covers equipment that is rented. It also specifically eliminates all equipment not used directl for photograph or Videography. so if you also happen to be providing audio amplification or reception audio services, you are out of luck.

So far, it looks like WeDJ.com has the best policy (they cover all aspects of your business so if you do all 3 they cover everything) and they can start a policy right away, I forget who they use for the insurance underwriting, but that should be easy enough to find.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #10
Major Player

Insurance

The 4Ever group is offering liability insurance to its members. I became a member just for the insurance. The rate was very reasonable. I believe it was somewhere around 175 for the first person and $60 for each addition shooter. With the registration fee and signing up 3 videographers it only came to $500.00. I received a pdf file of my insurance certificate within 2 days.

Here is the link
http://4evergroup.org/insurance.shtml

Hope this helps!

Jonathan Schwartz
Owner, CA Video Productions
Jonathan Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 11:52 PM   #11
Trustee

HUmmmm

I have heard, and even subscribed to them for a while, but never looked into getting insurance through them. Do they have a limit that only video related equipment is covered? Because I have an employee that works audio for me at receptions and I don't want to have to get a second policy for that adio gear if they won't cover it.

Thanks for the vote of confidence in their direction.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 12:04 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Production Insurance

I've used Complex Corporation a bunch of times and they are reasonably priced, responsive and on the level. They're actually a Production Co in San Francisco that offers short term coveage to others under their umbrella policy. There's nothing shady about this practice and it's a way to get insured for a shoot without having to jump through hoops and spend a ton of money.

Call Mike Wilson @ Complex Corp on 415 864 8123 and get a quote for your specific needs. He's a good guy.
Simon Sommerfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 08:10 AM   #13
Inner Circle

I looked at the insurance offered to the 4EverGroup. I thought the theft portion was VERY WEAK. It seems you need to prove a break in. So if you're gear is hijacked by someone with slippery fingers or someone points a gun at you while you have the camera, you're NOT covered.

For me, I want FULL theft, FULL replacement value (for theft or damage) in addition to liability.

I think another poster a while back on this thread said they had a hard time getting a response from R.V. Nuccio. Well me too. I called them several times and they never called back. That's not the kind of response you want from an insurance company if you need coverage. Has anybody actually had them "make good" on a policy claim?
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 11:03 AM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
I think another poster a while back on this thread said they had a hard time getting a response from R.V. Nuccio. Well me too. I called them several times and they never called back. That's not the kind of response you want from an insurance company if you need coverage. Has anybody actually had them "make good" on a policy claim?
Yeah, that probably would have been me, posting about a year ago. I pursued a policy with RV Nuccio based upon the favorable recommendations of some very trust-worthy and reputable long-timers in these forums who have also been long-time policy holders with that company. I continued to pursue a policy with the company after my earlier postings, as noted with two rounds of phone calls, sending filled out form packets via the mail, and following up with faxes of all the paperwork after no response.

Eventually, I gave up on the company and wrote them off. As noted earlier, they were likely just extremely busy and overly swamped, but basically, if that is the kind of response I can expect if I ever have to actually file a claim, with which the merit of the company can actually be measured, then my experience chalks it up to the service level of a low-grade hack outfit.

That is not to state that they are a hack outfit. Given their reputation in the field, I have to assume that my experience was unique and I fell through the cracks. But that was my experience nonetheless, and the company is no longer on my radar.

The only thing that has me unsettled is that now there is someone I don't know and have never met that has in their possession several copies of documents that detail every piece of notable gear I own, where it is located, accompanying serial numbers for such, as well as my personal banking information that I submitted in the process of applying for policy payment - which thankfully was never charged.

Just sayin'

-Jon

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques