need Help to decide - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 20th, 2006, 02:55 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Martin, I'm just planning to get into the wedding video market having only shot 1 so far and when I told one of my aunts about it she had the immediate response of how there's 'really good money in that'. I then thought how the hell would you know, it was just her perceived image of the business. Now, if someone has a primary occupation, receives a regular salary, pays their taxes and bills with it etc.. AND shoots weddings once or twice a month, then that is probably money straight in their back pocket and yes indeed that would be very good money, but I tried to explain that for people like me who want to make filming their primary occupation, with initial and ongoing investment in equipment, insurance and time and so forth then it can be a rocky road. I have no misconceptions about the money side of it and myself and my wife are preparing for a few years of tightening our belts so to speak until it gets off the ground. It's quite an exciting but daunting thought when you've got nothing to fall back on lol.
Damian Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 04:24 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Going into the wedding bussiness full time takes that "time". If you have a job don't give it up until you have solid bookings and enough to keep you at least half of the fisrt year. The second year should be fully booked and then give up your job. It will probley take longer than this but it is what you should be aiming for. This is what I am aiming for too. Don't limit yourself to weddings either take what you can get at the start as it will all help you to sell your bussiness. I don't think there is a lot of money in it but I do think it is a nice way to earn a living and to get to play with some nice new toys every so offten. Also think about taking up photograhpy for the clients that don't want video. If your wife takes a digi camera and you the video cameras you can work video and photograhpy at the same wedding and make twice the money. I have nobody to take a digi camera so I only work with video.
Robert Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 06:11 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Yeah you have some good points there Robert, certainly about not restricting work to weddings at the start. At the start of the year, I had an offer to make a instructional video for a local engineering plant. My brother-in-law works there and gave me the referral since he knew I liked messing with video. Unfortunately, I didn't have my FX1 then and no spare cash to even hire something appropriate. It's a pity, it might have got the ball rolling in that avenue.
Funnily enough, my wife came with me to the wedding I filmed as it was one of her friends. There was no official photographer and she ended up stepping in and directing people lol, nothing fancy but it was better than blank faces on people milling about. So, maybe there's something there...she needs to be trained in proper camera work but to her credit, she's got a good eye and is very good at directing people which is half the battle.
All the best in your own venture too, no doubt we'll see some sample clips up in time, so I'll keep and eye out ;) Cheers
Damian Clarke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques