1024x768 or smaller? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 21st, 2006, 08:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

1024x768 or smaller?

I was thinking about changing the size of my website and wanted to know about screen size.

I know most sites are set to 1024x768, but a lot of personal computers are around 800,832. I don't want to annoy my potential customers, by making them scroll and scroll again at 1024, so this is quite a dilemma for me.

Suggestions, opinions please.
Michelle Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 01:57 PM   #2
Major Player

Make it work for all sizes

I am in the process of redoing my website as well and faced the same problem. My solution is to set the table widths by percentage, such as a table for my title graphic at the top that spans 100% of the page width with a 120 pixel cell with in that table docked at the right for a logo. This way the logo will always stay the same size on the right hand side of the screen, but the rest of the title bar will always span across the whole screen. Then I make sure the content won't be cut off if the screen is only set to 800 pixels, but yet if someone has a higher resolution it will expand to fit.

You can do alot of creative design in this regard using table widths set to percentages combined with fixed pixel values in order to ensure your website fills the screen on a variety of different resolutions.
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 09:46 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Grunseth
I am in the process of redoing my website as well and faced the same problem. My solution is to set the table widths by percentage, such as a table for my title graphic at the top that spans 100% of the page width with a 120 pixel cell with in that table docked at the right for a logo. This way the logo will always stay the same size on the right hand side of the screen, but the rest of the title bar will always span across the whole screen. Then I make sure the content won't be cut off if the screen is only set to 800 pixels, but yet if someone has a higher resolution it will expand to fit.

You can do alot of creative design in this regard using table widths set to percentages combined with fixed pixel values in order to ensure your website fills the screen on a variety of different resolutions.
I don't really have tables. The blocks I have are all images. I'm wondering if the same applies to images. I'm going to have to sit down with my Dreamweaver manual today...
Michelle Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 02:17 PM   #4
Major Player

Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver is what I use as well. I use tables as I described above, and have images occupy the cells in the table. It is possible to assign a background image to a cell, as well as insert an image into the cell. So if the cell width is set to 100% you can insert a picture into the cell aligned to the left, and assign a background image to the cell. Your image will always be on the left, but the bacground image will repeat itself across the entire width of the page regardless what monitor resolution is being used. If I find time today I will try to put up an example of this that you can download and check out yourself in dreamweaver.
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 05:57 AM   #5
New Boot

I have the best solution ever, A friend introduced me to CSS or Cascading Style Sheets. It rocks, Check it out. No more tables or cells, no more cluttering up your HTML markup, your pages will load faster and a lot less trouble than tables and cells, There's a book out called "Stylin' with CSS" I suggest by as soon as you can because it is awesome. The key is less html markup such as all your styling like font color and things like that, by eliminating that and referencing an external style sheet that has all your postioning and font colors and other styles, you greatly reduce load times and if all your site's pages use the same style, than all you have to do is change one document instead of each page to change your font color or anything like that. I know i'm rambling, i just got off work from a 12 hour shift, only 3 more nights of it then i'm off for 5! anyways, Check It OUT/.

Craig Sharp
Craig Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 11:26 AM   #6
Inner Circle

CSS style are great , but for simple web site it could be a nightmare.
Plain html allows you to "read in the code" how your page will look like, while CSS just hides elsewhere (in the worst case, into another file) the code to display things.
Keeping the balance is as usually the good solution.
A bit of CSS, a bit of HTML tag, a bit of Javascript....
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques