Which 3 cameras would you use. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 26th, 2006, 02:17 AM   #1
Major Player

Which 3 cameras would you use.

Is it a better idea to use 2 of the same camera during a 2 camera shoot?
I am considering getting 2 HDR-HC3's
or one HC3 and a Canon HV10. - But im hopeing the shots match well.
Old October 26th, 2006, 09:36 AM   #2
Inner Circle

It's always best to use 2 similar cameras set up the same way so you won't need to spend time in post doing color correction. When i used a JVC5000 along with a Sony PD150 even though I got them CLOSE in the camera I could never really get them quite the same in post so I went back to using 2 Sonys-perhaps a touch of coorection here or there to compensated for lighting differences but other than that easy as pie.
Diffent manufacturers have different criteria for their cameras so you would be better off with 2 of the same or at least 2 of the same manufacturers.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 06:14 PM   #3
Major Player

In an ideal world one always uses the same camera models. They can be gen-locked to a switcher with a vectorscope/waveform monitor so all cameras have the same color signature. Next best is to use the same camera models. Next is three cameras from the same manufacturer made about the same time. And so on and on in a downward spiral.

We don't live in an ideal world, so do the best you can. Makes color correcting in post much more fun.
Old October 28th, 2006, 07:00 AM   #4
Trustee

Tyson, I will say that it's always best to have the same manufactured cams, as color correction is always easier.
However, if you plan on shooting weddings, then I would recommend different cams than what you mentioned. The reason is that you will find low light and issue, as these cams do not perform that well in low light situations, like what you will be experiencing at receptions.

They are good cams to go along as second cams with the likes of an Sony FX7/FX1/Z1 for SOny HC3 or Canon A1 with the Canon HV10.

Also neither of these cams give you much freedom for manual control of your picture or the ability to use an external mic or wirelss system for capturing vows and such.
Old October 28th, 2006, 08:20 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Tyson, stop there. You simply cannot do a wedding shoot (I'm assuming this because of the forum header) with an HC3, and the number one reason is that there's no external microphone socket and no headphone socket. It's a bit like having a camera with a fixed focal length lens and no viewfinder or sidescreen to monitor what it's pointing at.

Weddings have a very important audio content to them, so go look at an A1. It's not as good as the HC3 in low light, but at least you can use proper radio mics. When you've got your A1 then the HC3 is a great second cam, and shoots very respectable stills, too.

Colour correction between my Sony and Panasonic is problematical at the best of times - even using the Canopus white balance filter in post.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2006, 06:29 AM   #6
New Boot

Totaly with Tom on this. Sound is one of the most overlooked components in videos and poor sound can ruin an otherwise acceptable Video

Like most people we started out by videoing a freinds wedding for free. We used a TRV 30 with internal mic ( and Auto Focus) and although we thought at the time the results werent bad it was clear the audio needed improving most.

So we tried another wedding and this time used an external mic mounted on the Hotshoe and monitored the audio with headphones. results were better but still nt really good enough.

Were now lucky enough to have a Z1e , with XLR inputs and use a Sony radio mic fitted on the groom and a Sony ECM 674 electret condenser mic. The increase in quality is staggering.

Mics arent cheap together ours cost £700. Thats getting on for $1300. Ok not cheap but in the next twenty years Ill probaly vcahnge my cameras perhaps twice but Ill still be using the same mics baring accidents of course.
David L Lewis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques