CLIP: Wedding Trailer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 4th, 2006, 06:05 PM   #1
Major Player

CLIP: Wedding Trailer

Hello everyone! I visit these forums mostly for camera research and members of the other 2 big wedding forums out there.

Thought I would see what you all think of one of my trailers. Feel free to post any kind of feedback!

They are huge movie buffs and wanted something a little different for wedding videos and wanted to incorporate a familiar aspect to trailers if it were possible, so I hired a "Mr. Voice" to do the VO.

www.jcdv.com/WMV/jerrod_crissy_ct.wmv
Old November 4th, 2006, 06:18 PM   #2
Major Player

I liked the pacing, but what really stood out to me (besides the trailer styling, of course) was how brilliantly the oranges came through, especially with the flower shots. What did you use to bring it out so well? Magic Bullet?
Nice job, Jerome--thanks for posting it..
Old November 4th, 2006, 06:21 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Croce
I liked the pacing, but what really stood out to me (besides the trailer styling, of course) was how brilliantly the oranges came through, especially with the flower shots. What did you use to bring it out so well? Magic Bullet?
Nice job, Jerome--thanks for posting it..
Thanks for watching Vincent. I shoot with 3 HC1 cameras and I just have the settings set right for my tastes... No special filters applied to the footage, just tweak levels a little in post and sometimes boost/cut saturation a little.
Old November 4th, 2006, 10:44 PM   #4
Still Motion

I liked the idea and the pacing. The VO did a good job and had a nice feel. I thought several shots could use some more post on them, som elooked really flat and unbalanced, which stands ot even more when you have some other gorgeous shots. The audio at the beginning also sounded very busy, and therefore distracting, but thats just what I caught.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 11:50 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau
I liked the idea and the pacing. The VO did a good job and had a nice feel. I thought several shots could use some more post on them, som elooked really flat and unbalanced, which stands ot even more when you have some other gorgeous shots. The audio at the beginning also sounded very busy, and therefore distracting, but thats just what I caught.
Thanks for watching and commenting Patrick! Which shots do you feel needs some post work? One that stands out in my mind is the B&W of them walking off into the distance. I wanted to somehow put a part of the vows in there and perhaps it was a little busy...... will keep in mind for the next one.

Thanks again!
Old November 5th, 2006, 01:37 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Music

If you don't mind me asking where did you get that music? I have a non-wedding releated video that will fit perfectly with that style, by the way very nice video!

I had two friends next to the computer watching (no video background) and they were amazed!
Chris David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2006, 09:55 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris David
If you don't mind me asking where did you get that music? I have a non-wedding releated video that will fit perfectly with that style, by the way very nice video!

I had two friends next to the computer watching (no video background) and they were amazed!
The couple chose it and supplied it. The info is there at the very end on the credit screen... pause it.

Its funny to watch people's reactions who do not have a video background compared to those that do...
Old November 5th, 2006, 01:02 PM   #8
Major Player

I thought the video and concept was very well done. May have to make use of it myself. However I had a very hard time picking out the VO from the background music.
Old November 5th, 2006, 04:34 PM   #9
Major Player

Jerome--On the subject of how people with no video editing experience view footage differently than we do--when I delivered my very first (non-family) wedding package to the b&g, I sat down and watched with them for a bit. They were enjoying it immensely but I made the mistake of pointing out to them every little mistake I had made with the camera work, none of it which was noticed by them. I now keep my critical eye for my post work (and viewing stuff put up on this forum for critique) and don't share it with my clients...they're much happier that way...
Old November 5th, 2006, 04:40 PM   #10
Major Player

Vince, do you still watch the final vids with your client's??? To me, I find this very odd/strange, something I would never do.
I could understand this if you're allowing them to aid with the edits.

Quote:
Jerome--On the subject of how people with no video editing experience view footage differently than we do--when I delivered my very first (non-family) wedding package to the b&g, I sat down and watched with them for a bit. They were enjoying it immensely but I made the mistake of pointing out to them every little mistake I had made with the camera work, none of it which was noticed by them. I now keep my critical eye for my post work (and viewing stuff put up on this forum for critique) and don't share it with my clients...they're much happier that way...
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #11
Major Player

Yeah, I made that mistake during my first year. After doing about 6 weddings I met with a potential client and pointed out somethings and lost the booking due to that fact. From that point on, I never point out things to past, current, or potential clients.

Quote:
Old November 5th, 2006, 04:57 PM   #12
Major Player

No Joe, I don't do this with any of my clients as a regular thing. It's just that I had wrapped up my first full package so I called the b&g and told them I was going to be out their way and could drop it off (it was a beautiful day for a ride on the bike). They invited me to sit down and chat and, of course, they wanted to take a look at the finished product, so I stayed and watched for about 15 min with them. If it ever happens again I'll keep my mouth closed.
Old November 6th, 2006, 08:03 AM   #13
Regular Crew

This is great video. I'm sure the b&g loved it.
VO person is great. Pace and tempo are on point with the music selection. You should think about doing this more for your clients as something as a preview or the first part of the DVD... I enjoyed it and think most of here have (from our pov)

Last edited by Tom McDougal; November 6th, 2006 at 12:04 PM.
Tom McDougal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2006, 11:59 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom McDougal
This is great video. I'm sure the b&g loved it.
VO person is great. Pace and tempo are on point with the music selection. You should think about doing this more for your clients as something as a preview or the first part of the DVD... I enjoyed it and think most of here have (from our pov)

I researched the VO person from credits, and was trying to find cost. Not to be nosiy, how much did he quote you? There is no mention on price on hise voice123 site...
B/G and family went nuts over this! I have been making trailers for the latter part of this year for all the weddings and put up on a special page 1-2 days after the wedding. This one got a ton of hits withing the first day of posting form everyone at the wedding.

Rick did a great job, his rates vary, but has a standard he goes with. Contact him through v123 (its free to register and contact him) and he is quick.

Glad you liked it.
Old November 6th, 2006, 01:40 PM   #15
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Cloninger
Thanks for watching and commenting Patrick! Which shots do you feel needs some post work? One that stands out in my mind is the B&W of them walking off into the distance. I wanted to somehow put a part of the vows in there and perhaps it was a little busy...... will keep in mind for the next one.

Thanks again!
The bouquet toss shots seemed the most off to me but I think I caught several others that could benefit from some tweaking. Going that far with color correction really depends on what market your aiming for and how much time you want to put into each package.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques