new camera - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 22nd, 2006, 12:17 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Boswell
I said a used FX1 or a new FX7. Both you can find in that range. :)

Granted, no XLRs though. But I use the RODE with mine and the sound quality is great.
Just curious, Daniel. Where can you get a new FX7 for that price? They are listed for around $3200 at the online vendors I checked out.
Old November 22nd, 2006, 03:43 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Chandler
Just curious, Daniel. Where can you get a new FX7 for that price? They are listed for around $3200 at the online vendors I checked out.
This is where I saw the FX7 new for that price (actually $2800)

http://dvinfo.net/conf/archive/index.php/t-78974.html

Apparently it has gone up. Besides I think the FX1's are a better buy at $2500 for a good used one.

Another huge plus for shooting HD right now are samples..this is 20 mb file

http://homepage.mac.com/epiphany2002/hdgallery.html

You can't do something like that at that size with SD cams.
Old November 22nd, 2006, 04:06 PM   #33
Still Motion

I shoot with all PD an VX series cams. I purchased the FX1 several months back while considering switching everything over to HD. After a mnoth of tweaking the settings and getting used to the camera, I really wasn't happy and sold it in favor of sticking with the PD and VXs. In the end, I think it is more what you do with the cam as opposed to what resolution it is and, for now, I'll take the low light ability over the extra features on the FX1 and for what it worth, the couples I won't pay for HD but do appreciate that we can get by without lights most of the time. If I were buying another cam for weddings, and I will be soon, it would not be the FX1 or FX7.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2006, 06:15 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
But I use the RODE with mine and the sound quality is great.
Sorry, I know this is off the topic, but could you show me a link to this RODE mic. I want to know what it looks like. From B&H Photo website is fine.

Regards....
Marco Dias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 04:34 PM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Dias
Sorry, I know this is off the topic, but could you show me a link to this RODE mic. I want to know what it looks like. From B&H Photo website is fine.

Regards....
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=363083
Old November 25th, 2006, 02:34 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Thank You.

It has a Stereo mini Jack (3.5mm) which feeds sound to the Left and Right channel. That's perfect.

Regards...
Marco Dias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2006, 03:15 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Even if this topic is a bit old and tired, it's still a good discussion for someone faced with that big first decision.

I chose the FX1 not because of HD, but because of native 16:9. The quality hit with letterboxing the PD/VX is immediately apparent to me. Since I think 4:3 is a dying format and I prefer to frame everything in 16:9, this was an easy choice.

Now, if they updated the VX/PD series with native 16:9 imagers and kept the same price and sensitivity, that would make the decision a little more interesting. I don't have any clients who have asked for HD delivery yet, and I don't expect a significant market penetration of Blu-ray and HD-DVD anytime soon.

Shot a reception last night in a VERY dimly lit room. I bounced a 500 watt light off the ceiling and got some pretty decent images. The trick is, we setup the light beforehand, and I don't think anybody even noticed it when they arrived - they just thought it was part of the decor. I guess it didn't affect the ambience too much since nobody ever mentioned it.

Quote:
Even downrezzed HD material is significantly better than SD acquired material.
I can't say I'd agree with this statement. There may be a small difference, but I would not describe it as "significantly better". I would say 9 out of 10 people can't tell the difference between downrezzed HD vs. native SD.
Eric Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
I can't say I'd agree with this statement. There may be a small difference, but I would not describe it as "significantly better". I would say 9 out of 10 people can't tell the difference between downrezzed HD vs. native SD.
We are talking semantics here. What exactly is "significantly better?" if there is no way to quantify it?

I will ask you though; have you actually captured something in HD, edited in HD, and then downconverted before going to web or DVD?

The difference is very noticiable to even the untrained eye. I have had countless brides tell me that my demos "look different" or "look better" than others they've seen without having a clue that it was because I captured it in HD. (I do not even advertise it on my site.) They are not talking about the content because they use words like "more vivid, more colorful...clearer".

Did you see my demo I linked earlier? That is SD that was downconverted from HD. You cannot tell me for a second that you can put an SD sample at that size up against mine and have 9 out of 10 not be able to tell the difference.

Its the same logic behind the reason that VHS movies made from film look significantly better than DV--> VHS. They are both in the same format but the acquisition formats were much different and thus there is a major difference in quality.
Old November 26th, 2006, 07:02 PM   #39
Regular Crew

I would insist on getting something that's HD. If you can double the amount, the Sony Z1 is a great choice. If not, consider the Sony V1, or even the FX7 or FX1. Although the FX1 design is about two years old, you can probably get one for what you have budgeted, and there many using them for weddings.

If you buy something that is not HD, you will eventually have to upgrade and learn the new technology. So I say go HD now and avoid the catch up later.
Mark Goldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 02:45 AM   #40
Regular Crew

Hi Daniel,

When I first got my FX1, I did do some tests to compare downconverted HD versus native SD. For projects to be delivered in SD, I was trying to weigh the pros and cons of the two options. As we know, when shooting HDV, you have to deal with long GOP MPEG2 and its associated disadvantages. Although my tests weren't scientific or even that extensive, I can honestly say that I did not see a significant difference even when the final SD footage is projected onto a 100" screen.

I did watch your sample footage. It looks awesome. Great shots, nice editing. But how much of that is attributed to the source being HDV-originated? I can't tell because it's not fair to compare other people's work to yours!

Here's an easy test that anyone can do: setup your HDV cam on a tripod, shoot a scene in HDV. Switch to SD mode and shoot the same thing. Compare the two after the HDV is downrezzed. No fancy editing, no color correction. This is where I say 9 out of 10 people can't tell the difference. I think it is very subtle.

One more thing of note - your sample's resolution seems to be about 996x560. That's higher resolution than normal SD (720pixel width). I'm not sure how you got to that final movie size, but nonetheless, it looks great and it's a very impressive sample.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing or trying to denounce HDV in any way (I shoot HDV probably 90% of the time). I think I'm more interested in whether my assumptions are completely off-based, or if others can chime in with their own findings.

Best Regards,

Eric
Eric Gan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques