Highlights Music at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 20th, 2006, 03:15 PM   #1
Major Player

Highlights Music

Need some suggestions. I have a bride that needs some suggestions on music for her highlight video. She wants it to have a cinematic feel that builds. I came up with a couple but want to give her a good list to choose from. Appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks,
John
John Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 04:26 PM   #2
Major Player

Do a google search and learn about "James Horner". You'll find many popular movie soundtracks that go well with weddings.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 04:49 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Have you checked out any film soundtrack scores? Especially from those big crowd pleasing movies were the good guy triumps in the nick of time over all odds proving that humanity does indeed have some wholehearted honour and good in it. Soppy stuff but it puffs you up with pride so much and you vow to spend the next day with your family at the park and enriching your relationships with all your friends....but then you wake up the next morning feeling rough from the baby crying all night, put on the coffee and light a fag in the miserable cold grey of the morning. Sorry am I off the point? I was relating from a friends experience of course...hahaha
What about the Jaws theme? ;)
Or the best one in the world would have to be the bride walking up the aisle to the Imperial March from Star Wars.
Seriously though just go through your dvd collection and or find movies like Braveheart, Armageddon etc..

Edit: Well there you go Rick got there first while I was typing this lol
Damian Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 05:12 PM   #4
Major Player

Too funny! Thanks.
John Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 07:18 PM   #5
Trustee

Scores...

Sense & Sensibility..... Emma...... Pride & Prejudice, etc. Not only are the themes built for chic flicks (generically speaking of course) but they usually center around romantic themes and the music is also wonderfully orchestrated.

Of course, good luck getting any of these themes legally for use in a wedding video...... impossible.

Jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 09:57 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson
Of course, good luck getting any of these themes legally for use in a wedding video...... impossible.

Jason
Impossible???

Not.
Maurice O Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 12:55 PM   #7
Trustee

Ok...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice O Carroll
Impossible???

Not.
Ok.... improbable. And in the USA, not financially feasible. Unless there is some special music licensing group that I haven't heard of, it is about impossible on an under $2000 project (and that is gross income before expenses, etc) to get famous theatrical music. Just try to get the Star Wars Throne Room music for Episode IV A New Hope, or something similar.

But please, prove me wrong if there is another (legal) way to use those sorts of soundtracks.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 01:15 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Improbable, not financially feasible... that's a more accurate description.

Impossible. Certainly not.
Maurice O Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 01:38 PM   #9
Trustee

Point taken....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice O Carroll
Improbable, not financially feasible... that's a more accurate description.

Impossible. Certainly not.
Point taken..... but for practical purposes, it is impossible to get for a low budget production like a wedding video. I have two features coming up and I don't want to have to rely on Cinescore (if I buy it) because it is just.... generic? I don't know. May be the wedding library that can be bought has actual good themes, but I just can't imagine them to be as good as an actual recording.

Jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques