Nice wedding effects.. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 26th, 2006, 08:56 AM   #1
Trustee

Nice wedding effects..

Saw this nice butterflies n and flowers that burst into light rays.. can someone tell me how is it done? Something like After effects? BTW, anybody knows the song title? Thanks!

http://www.fxfilms.co.uk/exampledemo.htm
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 10:41 AM   #2
Major Player

It looks like they used a lot of different things from After Effects, but I don't know for sure. Maybe someone else can tell you that...

What I do know for sure is the song, it's Sunshine by Gabrielle

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...43441&i=135848
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 03:31 AM   #3
Major Player

look, people keep personally emailing me asking me how i did this, how i did that.... that's not why i put the clip on this forum!
i'm normally ABSOLUTELY fine about sharing ideas but Sean, you're basically asking how did i do the majority of the creative things in my clip! u can see why that might seem a little unfair to someone that has slaved over and experimented with his NLE.

oh well, here it is then, don't want to be seen as someone who won't share his ideas:

basically, i scanned in the picture of the butterfly from the couple's wedding invite. then made 3 or 4 frames in photoshop to give the impression of wings flapping. then made a few-seconds looping animation from the psd file. in the NLE, i duplicated the animation to make several butterflies, moving them, and transforming them over the background (the wedding invite) to give the impression of movement and scale.

then for added realism, i put gaussian blur on the animation as it got near to the foreground. i could have put motion blur on them too, but they looked ok without it.

simple.

Last edited by Richard Wakefield; November 27th, 2006 at 04:03 AM.
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 07:05 AM   #4
Inner Circle

hmm...
intersting way to do it, but particle illusion can do it in a matter of minutes with one frame as a source emitter....

someting to thik about anyway...

nice work either way
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 07:37 AM   #5
Major Player

sorry Peter? i was talking about the butterfly animation...

but yes, particle illusion can make rays of light with source emitters, in a matter of mintes, as you say.
Old November 27th, 2006, 07:38 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wakefield
look, people keep personally emailing me asking me how i did this, how i did that.... that's not why i put the clip on this forum!
i'm normally ABSOLUTELY fine about sharing ideas but Sean, you're basically asking how did i do the majority of the creative things in my clip! u can see why that might seem a little unfair to someone that has slaved over and experimented with his NLE.

oh well, here it is then, don't want to be seen as someone who won't share his ideas:

basically, i scanned in the picture of the butterfly from the couple's wedding invite. then made 3 or 4 frames in photoshop to give the impression of wings flapping. then made a few-seconds looping animation from the psd file. in the NLE, i duplicated the animation to make several butterflies, moving them, and transforming them over the background (the wedding invite) to give the impression of movement and scale.

then for added realism, i put gaussian blur on the animation as it got near to the foreground. i could have put motion blur on them too, but they looked ok without it.

simple.
Well I couldn't see it, but I'll give you props for the creativity. That's the stuff that really seperates us from Uncle Fred, ok that and remembering where the lens cap is.
Old November 27th, 2006, 10:06 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Oops, Sorry if I offended u. I put up this post as I really like what you did. I wasn't expecting to get a detailed answer but some ideas so I could do some exploration. I simply had no idea how to start!!!

Thanks for being such a gentleman to share. Thumbs up to u for your creativity!
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 10:15 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
sorry Peter? i was talking about the butterfly animation...

but yes, particle illusion can make rays of light with source emitters, in a matter of mintes, as you say.
yes, lights.. but butterflys as well.. ;)
and flowers and anythign else which can "burst" out... and yup, it even includes singular butterlfies fluttering about..
Old November 27th, 2006, 02:55 PM   #9
Major Player

Peter, oh i see! damn, well i hope i took the slightly easier route of using Photoshop, coz i needed the butterflies to look exactly the same as the ones on the wedding invite, and that could have been alot more work with Particles!

Sean, awww, i feel bad now, sorry...let's just say i was having a bad day (in my main, full-time job)! i do enjoy sharing with people how i do stuff, just not all at once! So yeah, a combination of Premiere Pro, Photoshop, and After Effects is how i made all those effects, and seriously, if i can do it, anyone can!! it's just a case of searching hard for those spare hours in the day to do them in! :)
Old February 20th, 2007, 02:43 PM   #10
Major Player

Amazing work on your site Richard!
Where can I learn more about that technique where part of the image stops, but rice, confetti, whatever keeps moving?
Kell Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #11
Inner Circle

[QUOTE=Richard Wakefield]Peter, oh i see! damn, well i hope i took the slightly easier route of using Photoshop, coz i needed the butterflies to look exactly the same as the ones on the wedding invite, and that could have been alot more work with Particles!

QUOTE]

:)
actually, you can scan in an image and turn it into an emitter in PI.. the scanned butterfly would then BE the emitter itself :)

u know, i really do like your stuff, i mean your use of effects is extensive, but its not cheesy.. top stuff!
Old February 20th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #12
Regular Crew

ok i just watched that clip and i am very impressed! i wish i had the time to learn all those effects. very cool stuff.
Mark Morikawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 06:58 AM   #13
Major Player

You can buy My 3D software and it will do it for ya
Kiflom Bahta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 09:24 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Nice Stuff Richard, I like the freeze frame stuff with the b/w and color.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:32 PM   #15
Major Player

thanks everyone for your comments....funny coz that highlights clip is getting so old now! i really must put a new one on! hmmm...where to find the time?!

ok, the confetti shot: (Kiflom - I've not heard of 'My 3D'... but here's how i did it)

method 1: I mucked around with Trapcode Particular in AE to generate slow, emitting particles from a source above the video, same colour as the video confetti, then '3D'-move through it over time....For added realism, I put that girl (on the right) on a separate layer, and moved her too...watch closely!)

method 2 (easier): simply make 2 or 3 layers of confetti (drawn yourself) move towards you at different rates over the video layer...this is not as '3D' as method 1 obviously but good if ur in a hurry i suppose

cheers
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques