Recent Highlights - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 6th, 2006, 09:05 PM   #16
Still Motion

Thanks for the comments Glen. I know where your coming from in terms of the photos- it was also a shorter package and after all the video was laid into place I had that gap to fill, so I thought the photos would be the best solution, plus they had so many great ones.

For final cut pro, the majority of the transitions I use are the standard method by just dropping them in and adjusting the timing. I have found that there are tons of extra plug-ins out there and each has a slightly different look. I probably have a good 6-7 chromaglows and flash transitions. While most of the time the standard method works, certain shots it seems look much better to use a filter such a chroma glow and keyframe the attributes at the end of clip A and the beginning of clip B. In fairly rare cases, it can also work well to use a standard transition in one sequence and then nest that sequence into another. You can then cut it between the two original clips and add another transition which basically allows for two different transitions. I find it can work great with a cross dissolve and a chromaglow but it is more time consuming.

How do you find the chroma/flash transitions compare to your old NLE? I really liked your use of those transitions in some of your older work and I haven't been as happy with what I have found in FCP (which is why I've collected like 7 different ones...).

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 01:00 AM   #17
Major Player

Patrick, that was excellent, I must say that was some incredible glidecam work, artistic yet revealing yet fully utilized to tell an interesting story, and some absolutely stunning hollywood shots.

Did you sprint around the couple to get that spinning shot of them kissing?

The only thing I would fix would be the editing of the vows, simply becuz vows are a very very tender moment and rough cuts here and there really kill the vibe, and actually make it distracting and obvious to even the untrained eye. Personally I would get around this via using dissolves, or cutting less or spreading parts of the vows throughout the entire highlight reel.

Amazing work! K I really need to start posting my work again!
Old December 8th, 2006, 03:46 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau
Jason,

It is always great when a clip engages you enough that you don't notice any of the technical aspects behind it, especially if your in the field.

John,

Nothing special was done for the slow motion. Some clips which I know I would want to slow down, I try and film at a slightly slower speed, but thats about it. I find that final cut pro handles slow motion pretty well. The clip as shot with a VX2100 and PD170, as well as a PDX10. Everything was color corrected, levels adjusted etc in post.
Patrick you filmed the wedding with those 3 cameras,
and they have the ability to be slowed down? (slightly slower speed as you've said)
Did you use after effects at all or is this all finalcut.

By the way which steadicam do you own (I'm in the market to get one)
Dante Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 03:54 PM   #19
Still Motion

Dante,

I use the cameras as you normally would (shooting in 4:3 and 60i) and simply slowed the footage down in FCP. Final Cut is suppose to have some good algorithms to slow footage down, so that could be why it looks good, or it could also be just the compression for the web. Everything in the clip was done with Final Cut except for some audio work in Soundtrack.

This particular clip was shot with the Magiqcam. While the majority was shot with the unit body mounted, some of the better shots were shot like a glidecam with no vest or arm. I also have the glidecam and I think it is harder to get good results but can give better results when yo know what your doing. The Magiqcam is easier to get good results but when you know what your doing, I don't think they are quite as good as the glidecam.

Hope that helps.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 04:14 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau
Dante,

I use the cameras as you normally would (shooting in 4:3 and 60i) and simply slowed the footage down in FCP. Final Cut is suppose to have some good algorithms to slow footage down, so that could be why it looks good, or it could also be just the compression for the web. Everything in the clip was done with Final Cut except for some audio work in Soundtrack.

This particular clip was shot with the Magiqcam. While the majority was shot with the unit body mounted, some of the better shots were shot like a glidecam with no vest or arm. I also have the glidecam and I think it is harder to get good results but can give better results when yo know what your doing. The Magiqcam is easier to get good results but when you know what your doing, I don't think they are quite as good as the glidecam.

Hope that helps.
Thanks patrick for you prompt reply I really enjoy finalcut pro
I am looking forward to buying my macpro so I can really make things fly.

This is the steadicam I'm interested in buying:
http://tinyurl.com/y84pa8
Dante Waters is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques