Our First Wedding Trailer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 19th, 2006, 05:29 PM   #1
Major Player

Our First Wedding Trailer

Okay, last clip before we leave for Christams vacation.

When I heard this music at the WEVA Expo, it was used for the Gold CEA in the Demo Categeory, I knew it would be perfect for one of our clients.

Caleb and Julie are the Bride and Groom for our one ON one Workshops. Julie loves dramatic cinematic music. We delivered their trailer last night and they loved it.

The song is from X Ray Dog, "Here Comes The King". This clip has more filters than I use for a typical piece, but this is supposed to be an eye candy clip, a movie trailer.

http://tulsaweddingvideos.com/video/CJTrailer.wmv

Have a great Christmas!
Old December 19th, 2006, 08:31 PM   #2
Major Player

EDITED

Very nice,
Is a wedding trailer a new thing or am I missing something?

Last edited by Douglas Villalba; December 19th, 2006 at 10:14 PM.
Douglas Villalba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 09:41 PM   #3
Trustee

I enjoyed it Mark. Nicely paced with the music. Beautiful shots as usual...
Old December 19th, 2006, 09:51 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I am very impressed great job what camera did you use
James Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 09:54 PM   #5
Major Player

As always, good stuffs, what song was that btw?!
Old December 20th, 2006, 02:42 AM   #6
Major Player

nice camera work and use of levels for B+W, but the thing about that song is, it sounds like army troops are about to burst throught the doors!

also, for some strange reason it just seems wrong to follow a shot of a groom with the word 'Coming' :)
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 07:09 AM   #7
Major Player

Excellent work. I think that you and your wife are on top of the moving shots at this point in time Mark and they looked amazing. I liked all the effects you used and they really added some impact to the piece.

Now here's a general question aimed at the "Moive Trailer" field in general. When was the last time you saw a trailer on tv for an upcoming film and you only heard music? Hollywood always has portions of dialogue and sound bites in the trailer. So why are there no nat sounds in any of these wedding "Movie Trailers"? Maybe I haven't seen enough clips but every "Movie Trailer" I can recall has used a straight music track and focused on the video and timing with the music.

It was a great piece and well put together both on the production end and in post. My question about audio is just some food for thought.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 08:53 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Looks great, Mark. I love to use dramatic, movie trailer-tyle music as well. So, this is the B & G we'll be working with when I come to your Tulsa workshop in February? I'm looking forward to it! See you then!

-Dave
Old December 20th, 2006, 09:47 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Villalba
EDITED

Very nice,
Is a wedding trailer a new thing or am I missing something?
Hi Douglas,

It is relatively newer.

I first heard of a "Prequel" several years ago at WEVA Expo. It was just a short minute or two preview of the days events. We never did a Prequel because we put the Highlight at the beginning of the DVD.

I have seen more and more wedding trailers on the net. It's a great way to build anticipation of the completed wedding movie, much like hollywoods trailers.

I know some videographers make a trailer the weekend or week after the wedding and then email the link to the Bride, who then shares it with all of her friends. It's great advertising.
Old December 20th, 2006, 09:48 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Clarke
I am very impressed great job what camera did you use
Hi James,

Thanks, we use Sony's DSR-250, PD-150/170.
Old December 20th, 2006, 09:49 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Y Wong
As always, good stuffs, what song was that btw?!
Hi Michael,

The song is Here Comes The King by X Ray Dog
Old December 20th, 2006, 09:57 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lynn
Excellent work. I think that you and your wife are on top of the moving shots at this point in time Mark and they looked amazing. I liked all the effects you used and they really added some impact to the piece.

Now here's a general question aimed at the "Moive Trailer" field in general. When was the last time you saw a trailer on tv for an upcoming film and you only heard music? Hollywood always has portions of dialogue and sound bites in the trailer. So why are there no nat sounds in any of these wedding "Movie Trailers"? Maybe I haven't seen enough clips but every "Movie Trailer" I can recall has used a straight music track and focused on the video and timing with the music.

It was a great piece and well put together both on the production end and in post. My question about audio is just some food for thought.

Ben
Hi Ben,

You bring up a very valid point. As I was working on it I thought of some great places to use voice over. The couple came in about a month after the wedding and we relived some of the moments. They gave me some great VO.

I decided not to add the VO for a couple of reasons. I wanted to save the VO for the wedding edit and I did this edit at no charge. I did it just as a thank you for being a great couple to work with and being so patient with our production schedule.

BUT, you are totally right. Using some of their VO would have taken it totally over the top.

I was really trying to avoid making another time consuming masterpiece. Now if I were to charge for this edit...well that's a different story. Just trying to keep the balance of art and profit in check.
Old December 20th, 2006, 09:59 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M. Smith
Looks great, Mark. I love to use dramatic, movie trailer-tyle music as well. So, this is the B & G we'll be working with when I come to your Tulsa workshop in February? I'm looking forward to it! See you then!

-Dave
Hi Dave,

Thanks. Yes this is the couple you will be working with in February. They are awesome.
Old December 21st, 2006, 03:32 AM   #14
Major Player

Powerful music (Luke, beware of the dark side)

Hi Mark,

Wow, indeed that was a powerful music selection and y'all did a great job of cinematic layering. In fact, the music might be overpower the event for some but to each their own and if your clients are bold and adventurous, you certainly hit your target! And I certainly agree, it made an excellent movie trailer.

The only thing that confused me was the illumination on the bride and her father as they processed and stopped. What was going on there? At first I thought, "Nice, look at the metaphor of her brilliance and radiance." But then the light continued on the father and his face looked sort of washed out during a momentary freeze frame. Then it made me wonder if a cameraman goofed by turning on 300+ watt light at the wrong moment. At any rate, if it was a special effect, I was lost when the father's face was illuminated with a freeze frame.

Otherwise, I was completely mesmorized by the clip - cudos to you both!

Warm Regards, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 08:48 AM   #15
Regular Crew

By the way, Mark, in the trailer there was a clip of something that had the words "Wild at Heart" inscribed on it. What were we looking at there? One of my absolute favorite books of all time is "Wild at Heart" by John Eldredge. I give copies to people all the time. So I'm interested in that clip. Could you elaborate?

Thanks,
Dave

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques