Roller Derby Match Coverage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 31st, 2006, 04:54 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Roller Derby Match Coverage

I've been asked to produce a video covering an upcoming match for a local semi-pro Roller Derby team. Anyone ever shot a similar event? Ideas on how to best cover such a high-speed 'in-the-round' event where the action could happen at almost any point on the course at any moment, sort of like a violent auto race in miniature? I'm thinking multiple cams are definitely in the cards but how many? Any suggested coverage points?
Old December 31st, 2006, 05:32 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Steve,

Is this going to be in a local Skating Rink or another venue ??

What is it going to be put to ?? Tapes, DVD, live broadcast ???

Rinks around here don't have such good lighting, so lowlight Cams may be best.

2 cams minimum, 4 if you've got the manpower, cams and aux equipment.

I'd use seperate monitors to see what cam sees, easier to follow the action.

Also suggest custom telescoping (2' to 4') control handles and articulating head-to-cam mounts for the Tri-Pods. Keeps you where you need to be, and cam pointed where it needs to be.

Can send you pics of my set up if interested.

Set up in 4 corners or center of long sides.

I've done local skating parties but not the local Derbys. I also do local Horse shows with Drassage, Stadium Jumping, and Cross Country. The last 2 have good action to track, of course so did the soccer season I did a while back.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 07:55 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks for the suggestions.

This will be in a regular skating rink, actually a regulation hockey rink sans the ice, but they don't have a banked track set up, just rubber cones defining the skating oval.

Delivery will be on DVD, segments could end up broadcast as part of publicity materal for the team but won't be shooting for live broadcast coverage.
Old January 1st, 2007, 09:55 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Steve,

None of our local rinks have banked tracks either, they just use the cones.

I did skate on one in Albuquerque, New Mexico some 30 yrs ago. It had a flat and a banked track setting next to each other.

The flat track seems easier to me, you don't have to figure out how to set up even higher.

I put the Rink parties to DVD's for sale, and the Rinks use them on their big screens for publicity.

Have fun, and Happy New Year.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 10:55 AM   #5
Major Player

I think a crane would be very useful for the sweeping shots during the wind up at the corners ...

I have 2 visions of this: One a very foggy memory from the "Skinny mini Miller" days and not too recently on the Nashville network from about 7 years ago ... I think some boom and crane angles were used.

Also an on track rov camera with a talented skater working the inside track (out of bounds) would be cool ...
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 02:07 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Here's a link to a story of an individual covering such events...

http://www.eventdv.net/Articles/Read...rticleID=11556
Vince Lucena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:15 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi Steve and Vince,

I sure like what that Mark fellow is doing, but I'd rather not risk my body or my Cam.

I'm a regular skater for the last 42 years, and even with as much skating experience and skill as I have, I'd be very reluctant to take my Cam on a Derby floor. I've done it at regular sessions and Parties, but too much and to fast of action on a Derby floor for me. Even the floor center isn't safe.

The speed skating I used to do was risky, but Derby skating is crazy dangerous, even with the protective padding they ware. Most floors today are coated asphalt or concrete, only a few are still wood, which is more forgiving to fallers. Sooooo, there is higher risk for damage to skater bodies and Cams. OUCH

Jimmy's crane idea sounds interesting, if you have enough off-floor area to set up, and a way to keep the unit from getting hit from crashing skaters. That would tough to do at our local Rinks, no room at floor end and one side. If your old "Ice Rink" is built normally, then you may have that ability.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques