Requesting meals at wedding - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 9th, 2007, 02:16 AM   #16
Regular Crew

If you don't feel the need to eat during a long wedding day, that's ok but you have an obligation to see to it that others that may be working with you, for you or substituting for you because you were ill, are treated with respect and dignity. All people are entitled to eat if they are working long hours. It just make good sense to be fed on the premise
Allen W
Allen Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 11:22 AM   #17
Major Player

THIS is a big reason I want to get out of weddings!! Have you ever noticed the higher end the wedding, the less hospitable people can be with food? I recently shot a wedding for a friend of a friend. The Bride of this wedding told my friend that the high end reception hall told the bride and groom not to feed the photographer or videographer!!! So a lot of times it may be the videographers fault for not discussing it before the event.

It’s not a big deal for me as I am a people person (no need to put it in the contract). I just go up to the b&g and talk about it (there is not issue if you explain it like a diplomat). Like other people have said, they don’t want you leaving.
John DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 11:25 AM   #18
Major Player

Also- Anyone have a bride go off on them for taking a bathroom break??? Haha, they get all pissed off when you come back, like “where’s the damn videographer”. Then they look at you like you did something horrible. Again, another reason to get out of weddings and into corporate/broadcast.
Old January 9th, 2007, 01:02 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DeLuca
Also- Anyone have a bride go off on them for taking a bathroom break??? Haha, they get all pissed off when you come back, like “where’s the damn videographer”. Then they look at you like you did something horrible. Again, another reason to get out of weddings and into corporate/broadcast.
LOL

I work in broadcast and am trying to get into weddings.
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 01:22 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Grunseth
LOL

I work in broadcast and am trying to get into weddings.

Now why would you want to go and do something like that......LOL I don’t think you can compair working in the broadcast Industry to owning a commercial videography/photography business, but I see your point. There are pros and cons of any job.
Old January 9th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #21
Major Player

You must work for some crazy folks, I have never heard anything so rediculous.

Ya know something though.....like any other job, when it's time to break, take one. eat...whatever. It's odd to see a post go on and on about how us vendors "should" or should not be fed by our clients, that is also rediculous. Pack a lunch like the other 98% of the worlds population........I mean, how many jobs out there have their clients provide meals for them...not many, Hollywood TV SHows and Movies are the extreme few.

I do not think we as vendors "deserve" to have a meal provided by our client's, if they do it... than I am appreciative but to expect or demand it?????

I'd love to see anyone go for any other job interview in the world....and during the meeting say to the HR person......"by the way, i must request a hot meal for lunch.....I work so hard, and a good meal makes me so happy"......this is nuts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DeLuca
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 02:32 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Agree with you completely, I don't want, or expect, anyone to give me a meal, I can make a good enough sandwich myself. It's no trouble.
The way I look at it is, it's an expensive day for the couple anyway!

Mike.
Mike Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 02:52 PM   #23
Major Player

***You must work for some crazy folks, I have never heard anything so rediculous.***

Haha, or maybe I've been in the business long enough to come across ridiculous people :-) Actually, the B&G dont realize your going to the bathroom, all they know is that your not around when something important happens.

There is a big difference between you and the other vendors, because you are with the B&G for 8 hours or more, on your feet, with little down time. Do I think I "deserve" a meal?? No, but consider this- A lot of people wont show up, so a lot of food will go to waste. The B&G are not saving anything by telling you to eat out.

***Hollywood TV SHows and Movies are the extreme few***

Actually its very common to feed crew as part of budgeting. The "unofficial" standard is pizza and soda. LOL

Last edited by John DeLuca; January 9th, 2007 at 03:50 PM.
Old January 9th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #24
Inner Circle

interesting points, however even wth a packed lunch one must take the time to eat it... i think that is more relevant than the meal itself.

I for one do not "demand" a meal, however its contracted to KNOW whether or not a meal is provided.. if they dont tell me and i dont bring something decent to eat, then i get rather pissed as i may not have the time to go out and look for something to eat..

one thing to have now started to demand however, is parking fees... its become a joke, November 2006, i ended up paying $240 in parking
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #25
Major Player

oh yes...the parking fees get ridiculous......i pay them but I have already incorporated and average parking rate into my packages. if you do not do this, I would surely bill the client for the parking fees.....that is more than fair in my opinion.

as for everyone else.....take a break at some point during the long wedding day, it is needed by anyone no matter how old you are! not too many folk would work a 10 to 12 hr day without a break at some point....and I GUARENTEE YOUR client would not go to work without having a break at some point, so you are no different. theres always time at some point and we all need to make it a point to fit one in.......peace out my people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
interesting points, however even wth a packed lunch one must take the time to eat it... i think that is more relevant than the meal itself.

I for one do not "demand" a meal, however its contracted to KNOW whether or not a meal is provided.. if they dont tell me and i dont bring something decent to eat, then i get rather pissed as i may not have the time to go out and look for something to eat..

one thing to have now started to demand however, is parking fees... its become a joke, November 2006, i ended up paying $240 in parking
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 10:36 AM   #26
Trustee

leaving to eat...

I have never left to eat because i never know when a good shot will happen. once, the couple were signing the license and hte photo wasn't there. i held up the signing because i knew the couple (former roommate actually) would want photos so i had the dj call the photographer over the pa system.....twice heheheh until he finally showed up from somewhere in the back looking quite annoyed.

i suppose my first contract might mention something along that line, but i'll worry about that later.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 04:15 PM   #27
Inner Circle

""i never know when a good shot will happen. "
((And this is why when u mention meals in your agrement, you state this fact.. When this question is raised ("will i miss a shot if i run to grab a bite to eat") couples usually think about it and dont want u to be at risk of losing that shot... its a gamble that THEY take..
Your meal and prescence in the reception affects THEM.. if it didnt affect them, they wouldnt care, but if you MAKE IT so it affects them, then they will be inclined to bend your way. ))

""once, the couple were signing the license and hte photo wasn't there. i held up the signing because i knew the couple (former roommate actually) would want photos so i had the dj call the photographer over the pa system.....twice heheheh until he finally showed up from somewhere in the back looking quite annoyed.""

((This is quite common, from starting the speeches through to cake and the like.. there are may instances where a Photog is not This, again, this is a contracted item where the client or their representative (ie DJ MC Family memeber) must provide suficient time and notice in advance prior to any event. Prefereably 10 minutes in case i need to go take a leak or make a fone call to the missus. But this is important as sometimes when family members MC weddings, they have no idea what theyre doing, so dont think to tell anyone whats going on.
If however you contract it that you must be advised, and youre not, ur at least not liable for missing a shot, or the begining of a speech or whatever..
I have lost count on how many phone calls ive made telling a photog that the speeches or cake cut is about to start.. ))

""i suppose my first contract might mention something along that line, but i'll worry about that later.""
IMO, you should worry about his now...

CYA - Cover your ass
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 10:47 AM   #28
Trustee

Cya

You are correct of course, i do need the CYA bits.... Also I don't intend to have any new wedding customers until summer (busy with corporate clients now and a full time sw development job).

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 01:57 PM   #29
Regular Crew

There is no right or wrong answer here, myself, I eat andI address it in the contract.

"18. The client agrees to provide DMB VP the same meal as the guests at the reception. If this arrangement cannot be made, a lack of coverage will occur due to the videographer(s) going "off-site" to eat a proper meal. "

Also, I discuss seating with the client and explain to them that I need a spot that has a clear shot during diner. I need to be able to quickly shoot should something happen. I also remind them that I am there eyes and ears for life.
If they choose to seat me in a far corner, and during that time, the shots feel like a security's camera, well. that is there call. Thankfully, most times, nothing but some kissing or singing happens during the meal so it doesn't matter where I sit, but if there are speeches in between courses, I need someplace up front and centered. Otherwise, after diner, I just position myself where I need to be without being too much in the way.
Old January 12th, 2007, 10:57 AM   #30
Regular Crew

To eat or not to eat? :)

I'm with alot of the other posters here who have it in their contract that a meal will be provided if food is being served. When we do our pre-shoot meeting with the client we go over our contract with them to ensure we're all on the same page. I've never once had a client balk at the idea of providing us with a meal. They are actually quite happy in most cases to provide it. As with everything else explained in the contract, we treat the client respectfully and they return the favor.

I think the idea of stating you will leave for an hour (or leave at all!) to get a meal is not great client service and I wouldn't really consider doing it. I can't imagine taking the risk of missing an important shot at the reception. Sometimes it's hard to find time to eat because I'm so busy gathering shots or interviewing the bridal party. I just go with the flow, and take breaks as time allows.

It is definitely a good idea to bring some of your own food/water just in case you miss the opportunity to hop into the buffet line! Fortunately I shoot with a partner most of the time so one of us will get food for both while the other is working.

PS - don't forget the breath mints!
Dave Uriarte is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques