Pet Peeves in Weddings - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 3rd, 2007, 09:13 AM   #46
Inner Circle

"1. Photographers who act like we're intruding at their event."

How about the photographers who act like the family is intruding on the "model" shoot.. or better yet, the photographers who act as though the bride and groom have interrupted their weekend.. lol

2. Wedding coordinators who turn the lights down even lower after we ask them to bring them up a little.

((Hahhahaa i had one of these Nazi photographers go absolutely OFF at the Matre D for doing this.. hey it saved me from doing it.. lol ))

3. Hauling, packing and unpacking equipment over and over. Especially in August.
((Dude, ive just done 6 weddings 2 corporates 2 slideshows and 3 preshoots in 4 weeks...
Wonder when i'll get to edit... lol))
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 11:13 AM   #47
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson View Post

((Dude, ive just done 6 weddings 2 corporates 2 slideshows and 3 preshoots in 4 weeks...
Wonder when i'll get to edit... lol))

Peter, send me the footage, I'll do it for 6 pairs of alligator boots.
Old April 4th, 2007, 10:59 AM   #48
Regular Crew

Quote:
"I wonder what is the logic behind people's sub/conscious thinking when they compare prices for photo & video work?"

Photography has always een considered an artform in the professional sense.. whereas video.. well, theres always been a stigma about its credibility as a form of art. Also with pictures, people have a physical album to hold onto. somethign they can grab and hang onto.. whereas with a dvd, its "new" and it doesnt carry teh kind of "physical" sentiment a photo does.
You cant place a dvd on your desk and see it and admire it, you cant pin a dvd on your wall and showcase it in your home...

theres also the issue of price..
people dont eeeeeeEXPECT video to be of high quality.. and are happy with that compromise if it saves them some cash.. BUT when they see high quality stuff, they DONT want to pay becuase they believe they can get teh same results from a dodgy handycam.. Its funny, i shoot a wedding and i use no less than 2 cameras each job.. most of teh onlookers, guests and clients are usually impressed and believe their money is well spent.. BUT the funny thing is that theyve paid a hellofalot more for their photos and the photog is using consumer gear with crap glass.. then i whip out my 5d (along with these video cameras) and only THEN do people REALLY take notice..
Its true what they say, the "bigger" the camera the more impact it has on people s perception of what you do.. Thing is, ive learnt to use the small 1/3 camcorder formfactor to my advantage and its now a marketing tool for me.

at teh end of the day, its all about attitude..
consider that 85% of weddings will have an official photographer, and of that 85%, only 15% wil have a pro video as well..
Its a HUGE market, but the statistics speak for themselves. Hence the reason why im getting back into stills.
Id rather work smarter, not harder.. and now with HD video delivery coming to the fore with PS3, justifying a price hike for this "naturally evolving" format will be very difficult as there are morons out there who are already offering HD at SD prices, simply becuase they need the folio

theyre setting a precedent which will continue to ruin the industry.. it happened with hi8, digital8, dv, and now i can clearly see it with hdv

Boy this thread is bringing back memories. Hi guys! I've been shooting photos a lot lately, moreso than video. And I can tell you, that yes, it has been quicker, easier, and clients really, really appreciate your efforts. I'm no photography expert yet, but I'm getting better everyday. When I get an occassional video job, the work is so much more difficult and demanding than photography. Sometimes I'll shoot a job with a videographer, and I work overtime to make sure I get out of their shots. It's not always possible though, but I tend to move quickly.

As I build up that photography part of my studio, I will ALWAYS shoot video, but I think I may have to do something different. I don't have the money to upgrade to HD. To tell you the truth, I don't know if it's worth it in this "you tube" generation. The weird disconnect - there are BOTH tons of digital cameras and digital camcorders out there, but for some reason, videography is still a hard hire.
Michelle Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 11:02 AM   #49
Regular Crew

Quote:
"3. Hauling, packing and unpacking equipment over and over. Especially in August.
Photography - one small backpack. Videography - a gigantic case. Occasionally I got backaches the day after from dragging video equipment around.
Michelle Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 12:00 PM   #50
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Lewis View Post
Photography - one small backpack. Videography - a gigantic case. Occasionally I got backaches the day after from dragging video equipment around.

Photography for us - one small back pack. Videography - An SUV full of gear. Geez, my wife my have to get her own ride.
Old April 4th, 2007, 11:31 PM   #51
Inner Circle

Ah, I can't believe I didn't add this one before. Not getting a cash tip when every other vendor gets a cash tip.

For example, I had a wedding 2 years ago where the bride gave out very hefty tips to all the vendors. This included the caterer, who showed up an hour late, and the DJ, who was only at the reception for about 3 hours.

I, on the other hand, worked a 16-hour day (and a 4-hour day the day before; covering rehearsal and rehearsal dinner). I went absolutely above and beyond. When the couple's limo failed to show up at the end of the reception, and everyone was just standing around not offering to help, I offerred to give the couple a ride to their hotel.

The groom changed into shorts and a T-shirt right before they were supposed to leave, and the bride was pissed. They ended up having their first married fight in the back seat of my Ford Explorer as I drove them to the hotel, with the bride even trying to drag me and my opinion into the fight.

After all of this, I still never got a tip.
Old April 26th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #52
Regular Crew

show this to prospective clients

This thread and the other about "what I hate" should be shown to prospective clients. Like said before, the client may book the video at the last moment or not expect too much. If your customers knew what videographers go through it may help during the event.

Of course it may backfire too.

Just a thought.
Jim
Jim Bucciferro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 09:59 PM   #53
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bucciferro View Post
This thread and the other about "what I hate" should be shown to prospective clients. Like said before, the client may book the video at the last moment or not expect too much. If your customers knew what videographers go through it may help during the event.

Of course it may backfire too.

Just a thought.
Jim
"what we go through" is covered in the contract, but it isnt so colourful ;)
Old April 26th, 2007, 10:02 PM   #54
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Ah, I can't believe I didn't add this one before. Not getting a cash tip when every other vendor gets a cash tip.

For example, I had a wedding 2 years ago where the bride gave out very hefty tips to all the vendors. This included the caterer, who showed up an hour late, and the DJ, who was only at the reception for about 3 hours.

I, on the other hand, worked a 16-hour day (and a 4-hour day the day before; covering rehearsal and rehearsal dinner). I went absolutely above and beyond. When the couple's limo failed to show up at the end of the reception, and everyone was just standing around not offering to help, I offerred to give the couple a ride to their hotel.

The groom changed into shorts and a T-shirt right before they were supposed to leave, and the bride was pissed. They ended up having their first married fight in the back seat of my Ford Explorer as I drove them to the hotel, with the bride even trying to drag me and my opinion into the fight.

After all of this, I still never got a tip.
Cash Tips..
Ok.. here goes..
Macedonian wedding..
450 guests, 2 videographers 2 photogs, one 6 piece band..

over half the guests "throw" at least $20 a pop (ffrom 20's o 50's to hhundreds. ) at teh band. stick em in the trumpet players horn.. on the drummers sweating forehead (were sweating too mind u.. )
End of the night,

band = 7 to 10k in cash..
Us = $0
Old May 11th, 2007, 04:06 PM   #55
Inner Circle

Quote:

band = 7 to 10k in cash..
Us = $0
You're not the show, right ? Does any guest get immediate gratification from your presence ? Are people lining up to take your photo? Actually, I asked my wedding photographer to take pictures of the video guys at work at my wedding because they were my friends. I ended up with nada.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #56
Inner Circle

tips shouldnt be expected.. as for them being a "show" i doubt it.. if our shots didnt make them look so good, people wouldnt have even noticed them (this from live feeds onto projectors during shooting at the reception... bout 2 years ago from memory, but we dont do live feeds anymore...)

POint of the matter is that they too got their pay much like us, plus the tips of course.. im not and never have expecteed any tips with what i do, and as for instant gratification, well, we DID run a Toaster system with a 4 cam liv feed into a projector and my boys were sweating their asses off getting into the throng of things and making not only the band look good, but everyone else as well.
If my boys didnt "egg" the band onto the dancefloor in the first place (like most other Maco wedding bands would) then the night would have been a dreary and dull monotony of bored band members and drunken guests staggering around in circles..
Old May 11th, 2007, 11:10 PM   #57
Major Player

Just about any church...
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques