HDV or not HDV? Confused about wedding video format. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 7th, 2007, 07:43 AM   #16
Trustee

Peter,
It IS my real last name.My grandfather camer over fom Russia, and that's how they ended up spelling it for him when he enterd the US. People come back with wierd pronounciations and spellings, though. When I had my motorcycle business for 12 years, I used to get some funny ones on the phone.

"Is this Yarcock Cycles?"
"Warlock Cycles?"
"Yonkers?"
"Is this Yak cycles?"
Bruce (whatever)
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 07:49 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock
Peter,
It IS my real last name.My grandfather camer over fom Russia, and that's how they ended up spelling it for him when he enterd the US. People come back with wierd pronounciations and spellings, though. When I had my motorcycle business for 12 years, I used to get some funny ones on the phone.

"Is this Yarcock Cycles?"
"Warlock Cycles?"
"Yonkers?"
"Is this Yak cycles?"
Bruce (whatever)
ROFLMAO
Oh i believe its ur real name, dont get me wrong.. my family moved from macedonia, to bulgaria to greece to australia..
my first name isnt my real name coz the nurses couldnt pronounce it.. lol

my last name has changed so many times, that i now use my wifes maiden name... LOL
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 08:20 AM   #18
Trustee

I guess Australia is as much a "melting pot" as the USA...Btw,Peter, what WAS your last name?
Bruce S. yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 12:32 AM   #19
Tourist

Oh just to clarify things, i did receive the RAW master tapes. Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to get a HDV camera for editing or even to test it.

I tried the tapes on a standard DV camera; didn't work - I made the assumption then that i had HDV footage in my hands (or hopefully not blanks!) - this is why i was asking about renting a camera.

The initial contracted deal was DVDs, and RAW HDV on tapes (the company did not offer edited files). After the wedding was shot, they revised their advertised pricing to include edited HD files (so when i asked about this, they verbally said they would add this for no extra charge).

The quality of the camerawork and editing was really good - that's why i'm so disappointed that i don't have a high def version of the EDITED work.

Ideally, i should check that I at least have HDV tapes in my hands by trying it in a HDV camera.

About it being an FX-1, i remember checking the guys camera on the day. But it was a while ago, so i could be mistaken - positive it was a Sony HDV camera (some of my photos capture the guy holding it).

I'm thinking the guys DID shoot in HD, and supplied me with HD tapes. They then captured to SD, edited in SD (cause they are so used to it) and output SD m2t files and DVD. This process essentially stuffs up their ability to supply edited HD footage.

Anyway, i'll see what this re-encoded job looks like. Maybe (fingers crossed) they captured in HD, and edited in HD, only to output to SD at the final step (hence the offer of re-encoding). That's possible yeh?

Thanks for all the advice guys. Really appreciate it.
Darren Asuncion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 07:50 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Asuncion
I'm thinking the guys DID shoot in HD, and supplied me with HD tapes. They then captured to SD, edited in SD (cause they are so used to it) and output SD m2t files and DVD. This process essentially stuffs up their ability to supply edited HD footage.
True - it will be difficult to (re-)construct their SD edit in HD, but at least you have the raw HDV footage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Asuncion
Maybe (fingers crossed) they captured in HD, and edited in HD, only to output to SD at the final step (hence the offer of re-encoding). That's possible yeh?
That's also quite possible, but if they're outputting SD-DVDs, they may have down-converted from HDV to SD in camera at the capture stage (as you suspect) to make the edit quicker/smaller.
Old January 9th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mayer
True - it will be difficult to (re-)construct their SD edit in HD, but at least you have the raw HDV footage.
Martin, I beg to differ. It should be quite easy to reconstruct their SD edit in HD if they downconverted with the camera. They could recapture the clips in HDV and produce an HD DVD without too much trouble. The timecode is the same as long as they use the original tapes.

I did exactly this with a wedding I shot last year. I needed an HD version for computer playback, so I opened the project, recaptured, and reencoded. No trouble at all. Just time...

Hopefully they have not deleted the project files, and are using an NLE that allows you to do this. If these guys are unable, perhaps they could supply the project files and original tapes, and Darren could either do it himself, or bring it to someone who can.
Old January 10th, 2007, 08:11 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Vito, what are you capturing/editing with? Do you use and EDL or just the same project file?
thanks
Andy
Andy Wason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 10:08 AM   #23
Trustee

Hi Andy,

I'm using Avid Xpress Pro, but any half decent NLE should let you do something similar.

I use the project files. If you delete the SD media from your drives, the master clips are of course offline. You select the clips (or sequence) you want to capture, and batch capture them but you must change the format from SD to HDV. Also, of course, turn off downconvert in the camera. Since you are capturing from the same tapes, the timecode doesn't change, and the clips are recaptured exactly.

Once the clips are recaptured, your project is online again. You just need to rerender effects, etc.

I suppose an EDL could work as well, but I have never tried it.
Old January 10th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #24
Inner Circle

what Vito says is on teh ball, i certainy know Vegas can do this without a problem (v7 anyway) as can edius.. more than likely being in aus, the Studio is using Premiere as Adobe have saturated out market and the predomnant NLE wedding guys use is premiere (usually with an RT card)
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #25
Tourist

Finally got the new files...clearly resampled SD files up to 1080i (as i suspected). The files look no different if not worse that the original 576i files i got.

Unfortunately the contract does not say i get edited raw HDV files (only RAW TAPES). They offered me edited versions verbally.

Because of this, I don't think i'll pursue the matter any further but I still can't believe the company has tried to bluff me with all this junk.

Anyway, thanks for all the help.
Darren Asuncion is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques