Recap Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 31st, 2007, 08:39 PM   #1
Major Player

Recap Video

I haven't posted anything here for quite a long time, so here you go:

http://www.benlynn.tv/BenLynnProduct...ack_256kps.wmv

I enjoyed this wedding, the client was very nice. No fancy effects in the edit, I try to keep it simple.

Ben

Note: The jump cuts in the beginning segment were intentional.
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 02:59 AM   #2
Major Player

Hey Ben,
Thanks for posting your clip and being gracious to share it. Over all you did a good job editing and filming. You had very nice close ups and very nice detail shots. I could see a lot of time-shifting going on. Two things did stick out to me. 1 when you went to the brides interview you could see half of the groom. Try to interview them separately first then interview them together so that type of framing doesn't occur, but maybe the situation wouldn't allow for it. Also for some shots during the reception there was quite a bit of head room. Also for some shots while they were at the church hallway I think or reception hallway, the individual shots there was quite a bit of head room. Besides those 2 things. Nice clip and the clients must have been very pleased. Thanks for sharing

Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 03:22 PM   #3
Wrangler

Nice job Ben. Interesting to see a journalistic appraoch mixed with a cinematic one at the end. Sounds like you had some audio issues with your interview footage. I heard a lot of compression in his voice and a audible hum in the background. I forget what platform are you editing on?

I think the slow motion and dissolves compliment the light crisp feel of the first half. Very unique approach. Thanks for sharing.

Btw, what's the audio in the last three seconds coming out of the right channel? Sounds like speech.... Did anyone else notice that (ie at the VERY end of the clip)?
Old February 2nd, 2007, 04:02 PM   #4
Major Player

Just a quick question: What kind of mics were you using for the ceremony? It was VERY clear.
Alex Sprinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 04:48 PM   #5
Major Player

I've been out all weekend but thanks for the feedback everyone.

Monday, you're right. The framing could improve on the shots you pointed out (except for the hallway one, that was actually framed perfect because they were talking to someone else who was standing closer and needed the extra room). The interview footage also could have been better.

For the interview I used a young assistant who's in training to shoot that. He did a great job considering that it was his first ever interview. Plus, he was monitoring it on a tv, which cuts off the portion of the groom that you see. He still should have tighten it up, but he's learning. In other portions of the interview he goes from a two shot to a single with a smoothness that would make long time professionals weep. So there's hope for him and next time he'll hit it.

Also, it's a toss up for what works in an interview. You can do it with individuals and then together, but I don't like that method for a post wedding interview. I want them to come in, sit down, talk, and be done in less than an hour so that I don't take up any more of their time. If the camera operator is really sharp they can work the entire interview going from singles and two shots as needed and it looks great. Plus it takes up a minimal amount of their time. The couple will then leave feeling like it was a positive experience, not a strain or an effort.

Glen,

You should be called the owl! I went back and had to crank it up but there is some talking in that last 3 seconds. I have to go back and see if that's in my editing (maybe a track left open), or if it's just part of the actual track (someone talking when they finished the recording). Either way that was a clever find because the song has faded out and was all but gone when it happened. Did you notice it with your ears or see the meters moving and that tipped you off?

Interview audio. Well, the same assistant failed to notify me that there was a "hum" in the audio until AFTER the interview. It was caused by the monitoring setup and could have been corrected within seconds had I known, but he didn't ask about it until everything was done. I had to run the track through sound soap and that made the grooms voice tinny. The brides track had to be pulled from the cutaway camera. Again, he knows now and I'm sure next time he'll point it out as soon as he detects it.

I'm editing on Vegas 6. This recap was a little different than the actual wedding material. If you see the prep time or other portions it's not cinematic or music video style, it's just a simple journalistic documentary with some interview clips mixed in at areas to support the shots and explain what the viewer is seeing. By the end of the video I like to close out with some straight music and some simple cuts and fades so they can enjoy a little of the cinematic style and take a break from the "reality" of the day that they just saw.

Alex,

The ceremony audio was a combination of a house system feed plus an i river on the groom. It actually would have been better had I been using my wireless Senn. system directly on the groom, but the wireless was feeding the house audio to my camera so I had to use the i river.

On the whole there were some real techincal issues with this but I really had a good time meeting with the couple and I enjoyed their wedding day. I think that their smiles and insightfull comments are what made the video special.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques