Bayonet mount step rings? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 4th, 2007, 09:18 AM   #1
Still Motion

Bayonet mount step rings?

I have a 72mm bayonet mount fisheye adapter and I would love to find a convertor or something that will allow me to mount it on a 52mm Sony VX or PD cam. Anybody seen or heard of anything that will allow you to do that?
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #2
Major Player

72m to 52mm? That is a rather large jump. The biggest adapter-jump I remember is one made by, I believe, a now defunct company called AMBICO. They had a 62mm to 52mm adapter.

You can accomplish your need by stacking adapter rings. 52mm to 58mm, then 58mm to 62mm, and finally a 62mm to 72mm. However, that will significantly change the optics, which means doing it and then determing the consequences. If anything, it will limit what one can actually accomplish with the lens. As long as the end results are acceptable, why not?
Old February 7th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #3
Still Motion

I am looking for an adapter that works with bayonet mounts. I realize how to make it work with normal threaded step-down rings but didn't know if there was something similiar for bayonet mounts...
Old February 7th, 2007, 07:59 PM   #4
Regular Crew

You can find them...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...p+ring&spell=1
Dan Aragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 08:07 AM   #5
Still Motion

Am I missing something, or are people not reading my actual question? I need to change the size of a bayonet mount, not a threaded mount? Everything suggested so far is a threaded mount, so I'm wondering if the threaded mount also works with the bayonet somehow?

To clarify, I have a 72mm bayonet mount adapter that I want to mount on a 52mm lens thread, either threaded or bayonet mount- but the lens definitely has bayonet mount.
Old February 8th, 2007, 08:20 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I'm hearing you Patrick but I didn't step in because I have never heard of such an adapter you're after. The other guys were just offering other solutions I guess.

All the bayonet mounts are different - not only in their sizes but in their design. And you can't call them ''72 mm bayonet mount'' as that doesn't mean a thing. That may well be the filter thread inside the bayonet, but it could just as well be 58 mm inside the same bayonet.

That's the advantage of buying your Century / Raynox etc with a thread - that way it can (with a simple adapter ring) be taken camera to camera.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 05:01 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau
Am I missing something, or are people not reading my actual question?
Hey Patrick, calm down :) (Just kidding)

Your question was a little confusing because you mention the 72mm thread size. If you look at your post right before mine, you'll see that we crossed posts a little. I see your dilemma, unfortunately I've not seen an adapter like that one. Good luck in your search.
Dan Aragon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques