freelance rates and credit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 13th, 2007, 09:20 AM   #1
Major Player

freelance rates and credit

Hi guys,
what would most of you charge to edit another companies footage. The style is dicumentary with a highlight recap, looking at about 40hrs of editing time. I don't want to give to high a price, but something reasonable. Most likely it would be one camera footage not sure of quality of filming. In the past it has been even harder to edit someone else's footage as you do alot of searching for stable shots. Also I would be required to create dvd chapters and disc menus as well and burn it. The last question refers to credit, do you guys take credit for the edit or just hand over the disc and give credit to the company.

thanks
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 09:39 AM   #2
Still Motion

Hey Jason,

I replied to your mail about this.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 04:56 PM   #3
Major Player

As for price:

Two deciding factors; what you need to make to cover your time plus turn a profit and what the market will bear. Find out what the more or less standard price is in your area and find out what it entails. Then decide what it is you need to make; if you estimate it will take you 40 hours, what do you need to make an hour and base your flat rate upon that

As for credit, this is something I personally never do on my own. Some studios like to have long technical credit rolls cause they think it looks impressive but I think this is a dying trend. Most studios like the client to think that everything is done in-house. Who am I to disagree? I usually make sure the studio doesn't mind if I keep some of the work for my reel ... with credit to them, of course
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 06:14 PM   #4
Inner Circle

500 bux for a standard edit, and 700 for something intense

as for credit rolls, i use the clients choice of Dolby Trailer in the begining, a " best wishes from... " kinda mssage at the end, then it closes off with Dolby trademark and DD trailer and studio copyright info.

my credits (ie bridal party titles) are integrated within the first 3 minutes.. much like a TV show where you see names pop up as the action rolls forward..
People will notice credits once or twice but after that, they dont care, so i dont make a big deal of it.. in fact, less is more..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Peter
500 bux that's it.... Also by credits I meant mentioning who edited it or letting the other company take the credit for the work

thanks
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #6
Inner Circle

oh ok, i get u now..

as for the 500bux.. if it takes 3 weeks to get one edit out, then your wasting your time.. think about it.. 500 % 3... doesnt leave much for a weekly wage..

if u can manage an edit in a manner of days, then your in... i know afew guys who complete full day edits in 3 days and in turn theyre pumpin in just under a grand a week just by editing..I shoudl mention, that if a comapny hires you assuming its 500bux, then theyre shooter (who cost them 200) turns out to be a screwball and has stuffed up the shots, then your in trouble coz youd be spending more time fixing the stuff up as opposed to actual editing. Then, its your fault for not only taking too much time, but then charging more for that time..

I started off editing.. long before i even started shooting weddings.. and this was the biggst problem.. shooters who have NO CLUE.. whats worse is shooters who put the cam in auto and just record EVERYTHING.. with WB shifts, exposure fluctuations and really bad audio..
I got sick of it and started my own business.. i got sick of these morons charging 3grand a pop and making a huge profit by pretty much doing nothing and hiring morons who didnt know what they were doing.. then expecting it to be fixed in post because they knew i could..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques