DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Same Day Edit - Feb 12 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/88043-same-day-edit-feb-12-a.html)

Jason Magbanua March 3rd, 2007 04:46 PM

Same Day Edit - Feb 12

Hi all.

If you have time to spare, kindly check out this video.

http://ipodweddingvid.com/videos/charisse_jon.wmv

Thanks for watching.

Shot with FX1s and edited on Prem Pro on a Dell XPS 1210.

Sheldon Blais March 3rd, 2007 05:22 PM

Wow Jason....that was like watching a movie. Your presentation is so unique and so different than stuff I've seen before. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed watching it....

Joe Allen Rosenberger March 3rd, 2007 05:23 PM

Jason,

You ROCK!

I loved all of it.....you have an awesome eye, definately some of the best stuff I've seen around.

Thanks for sharing.....and give yourself a pat on the back.
Joe

Bob Thieda March 3rd, 2007 05:43 PM

Outstanding!!

Very, very nice......

Bob T.

Jason Magbanua March 3rd, 2007 05:54 PM

thanks for watching :)

Kit Hannah March 3rd, 2007 06:56 PM

Yeah, that was really good - your framing on shots is excellent, almost looks like you had a professional DP planning all the shots. Keep up the incredible work.

Bill Anciaux March 3rd, 2007 07:26 PM

Breathtaking

Jason,

I watched it once alone, then called my wife and son (6yrs) over to see it. We were riveted. It is truly breathtaking and inspiring work. This is the kind of film I love to study over..and over...and try to learn from.

Thanks,

Bill

Ben Lynn March 3rd, 2007 08:36 PM

Wow Jason, that was great.

It wasn't the shots that grabbed my attention, those were great, but it was your audio track. That was a great remix track. And editing wise, I love the straight cuts. Very clean. Good stuff.

Ben

Jason Magbanua March 4th, 2007 07:20 PM

The track is Wonderwall as sung by Ryan Adams. :)

Mark Morikawa March 4th, 2007 07:30 PM

wow... really cinematic.

now was that a same day edit right before the reception? (holding my breath)

thank you for sharing

Franklin Bencosme March 4th, 2007 08:50 PM

Very Very Nice Jason....

Jon Omiatek March 4th, 2007 09:42 PM

Amazing, truly one of the best i've watched. How many cameras did you use for the shoot?

Thank you for sharing!

Jon

Victor Kellar March 4th, 2007 10:25 PM

Just adding to the chorus of superlatives. I totally loved the track and the fact that it obviouslly had personal resonance with the couple is terrific.

Beautiful filming technique, very emotional. I seemed to be seeing shots from the reception .. generally our same days include material up to the reception .. we show it just before couple enters hall.

Demo quality stuff indeed

Jason Magbanua March 5th, 2007 01:01 AM

Thanks guys.

It was shot with two cameras and yup it's a same day edit for the reception dinner. The only time we can put reception footage on an SDE is if they choose to do the first dance upon entering the ballroom. We ask about it and plan ahead of time so I just leave blanks on the timeline where I decide to put the dance shots.

Here in Manila, it's ususally shown after dinner and before the games.

Cheers!

Mark Morikawa March 5th, 2007 01:38 AM

wow... i can't believe thats a same day edit... unreal

Peter Jefferson March 5th, 2007 05:13 AM

i'll just be a parrot and repeat everyones praise :)
awesome stuf

Richard Wakefield March 5th, 2007 06:00 AM

love it!

the colouring is especially impressive and consistently good from your previous demos too... do you saturate the colours to get them that striking, or is it another method (magic bullet etc)?

anyway, well done, a pat on the back for you!

Victor Kellar March 5th, 2007 08:29 AM

Kind of a funny thing: Last 4 same days I cut here in Toronto were with Fillipino clients .... interesting coincidence

Alastair Brown March 5th, 2007 01:21 PM

You just make it look so effortless time after time. Truly Inspiring!

Tom Tomkowiak March 5th, 2007 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Magbanua (Post 636074)
...Here in Manila, it's ususally shown after dinner and before the games...

For me this would've been a Same Week Edit. Great job!

So what are the after dinner games you mentioned?

Jason Magbanua March 5th, 2007 07:45 PM

Richard
We utilize the picture profile features on the FX1. IN post we grade some more with Filmfx. Its several times faster to render than MB.

Tom
Usually the bouquet and garter toss and sometimes games for long time married couples happen after dinner. Most of the time, instead of the actual toss, games are done like, musical chairs, limbo rocks, dating games, etc.

Cheers!

Nicholas Valentine March 5th, 2007 08:03 PM

Amazing work. Just one question. Did you shoot in 24p? 30p? or 60i?

Jason Magbanua March 5th, 2007 08:16 PM

Nicholas. The fx1 can only shoot 601. I just have the faux progressive mode (cineframe) on. :)

Billy Mallari March 6th, 2007 11:32 AM

You ROCK!!!!!

Jason man!..Can you show me some of your video techniques next time I visit our homeland? I would love to train with you even for a day....very nice video.

From a big Pinoy fan in Canada

Patrick Moreau March 6th, 2007 12:32 PM

Good stuff Jason.

Considering this is an SDE, its shows how much time you can cut down on editing when you shoot it well. How much time did you spend actually edited, not including exporting and what not?

I normally am not a big fan of the hand held type of footage that you have a lot of here but I think it looks excellent with the style of music and editing you went with as well as the toning of the shots.

Patrick
www.still-motion.ca

Mark Holland March 7th, 2007 03:27 PM

Let's see, how do I say this...WOW !

There's no other word for it!

And Same Day Edit too?!

WOW !

Michael Y Wong March 28th, 2007 09:29 PM

Not to bring up a dead horse but that was definately fantastic.

Your 2 shooters (I assume you and a colleague of yours) really took advantage of 2 cams, giving the illlusion of some great & extensive coverage. Your subject framing and editing choices are also excellent.

Coincidentially I was just looking @ filmFx myself these past few days. I may give it a try but I 100% do love magic bullet.

May I ask how long it takes to render that ~4 min highlight video in 1080i HDV?

Many Congrats!

Peter Jefferson March 28th, 2007 10:41 PM

micheal with MB2 and a decent nvidia card, you can get faster than realtime rendering (HDV) or 2.5times realtime on DV
Im using a 6800GT (512mb 256bit) on my desktop and a GO7300 (256mb 128bit) on the duak core laptop
Both perform extremely well
MB2 was oen of teh reasons i upgraded the desktop GFX card after seeing MB2 run full frame full res HDV (cineform actually) on the laptop

Michael Y Wong March 28th, 2007 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson (Post 650532)
MB2 was oen of teh reasons i upgraded the desktop GFX card after seeing MB2 run full frame full res HDV (cineform actually) on the laptop

AHHHHHHH cineform, now that would explain it!!! 100% explain it! my 7950gx2 is a gig of memory (dunno whether it fully utilzes the full gig) and is basically 2 7900gt's in sli, so it is definately a decent card.

Thanx for the help Peter!

Peter Jefferson March 29th, 2007 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Y Wong (Post 650544)
AHHHHHHH cineform, now that would explain it!!! 100% explain it! my 7950gx2 is a gig of memory (dunno whether it fully utilzes the full gig) and is basically 2 7900gt's in sli, so it is definately a decent card.

Thanx for the help Peter!

well dude, its also the actual version youre running, if ur running MB1, then theres no point, however with your set up, MB2 should fly.. even with HDV
Also im not sure what bitrate your cards are running (128/256/320), as the memory wont mean much if your bandwidth is low, and the bitrate is what will bottleneck the processing of the plugin

Dana Salsbury March 29th, 2007 09:55 PM

It's time to quit your day job if you haven't already. You make our industry better through your talent and dedication.

I did my first SDE today and it went beautifully, although it was just one camera. Oh the anxiety! The frustrating part was the groom didn't want me to play the audio because he didn't want to distract the guests!

Jason, I'm assuming you played it from your laptop to a projector. What app did you use to play it?

Jeffrey Butler April 7th, 2007 03:37 PM

Really well done...

Did I say really well done? Really. Well done.

Chris Rodgers April 7th, 2007 09:54 PM

Very nice. I edited my own wedding video to that same song back in October. Nice work.

Jason Magbanua April 9th, 2007 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Y Wong (Post 650495)
Not to bring up a dead horse but that was definately fantastic.

Your 2 shooters (I assume you and a colleague of yours) really took advantage of 2 cams, giving the illlusion of some great & extensive coverage. Your subject framing and editing choices are also excellent.

Coincidentially I was just looking @ filmFx myself these past few days. I may give it a try but I 100% do love magic bullet.

May I ask how long it takes to render that ~4 min highlight video in 1080i HDV?

Many Congrats!

hey Michael. I only shoot SD wide (not HDV). With filmfx on all the clips, a minute clip will render at around 6-8 mins (using a dell xps 1210. 2.0 core 2 with two gigs of ram, 256 vid card).

Jason Magbanua April 9th, 2007 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dana Salsbury (Post 651183)

Jason, I'm assuming you played it from your laptop to a projector. What app did you use to play it?

Hey Dana. If I have enough time. I burn a DVD in encore. Otherwise, I record onto DV tape using a dinky handycam and playback from there.

On occasion, when time is really running short, I play back from the timeline using the camera as pass through device.

Cheers.

Ron Anderson April 9th, 2007 02:48 PM

Network Password

When I try to view the video I am being asked for a network username and password, why?

Ron

Dana Salsbury April 12th, 2007 10:15 AM

Jason,

It sounds like you come to the wedding with the timeline started and mapped out, then pull in clips. How long does it take you to render? I imagine that since you use widescreen SD instead of HD, it would shorten that time significantly. Was any of the footage taken before the wedding day?

I'm curious why you wouldn't play it from the laptop if you didn't have enough time to burn a DVD.

Jason Magbanua April 13th, 2007 08:12 PM

Dana,

There render times are very short. Around 8 to ten minutes for a one song video with filters. All shots in this clip was taken during the day.

Just a personal preference I guess, I trust an rca/cmposite connection more than a vga one.

Cheers.

Patrick Moreau April 13th, 2007 10:48 PM

Hi Jason,

I posted this a while back but never got a reply. Curious how long you took actually editing this piece and if you had anything laid down before hand, such as the song?

Jason Magbanua April 14th, 2007 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau (Post 659908)
Hi Jason,

I posted this a while back but never got a reply. Curious how long you took actually editing this piece and if you had anything laid down before hand, such as the song?

Hi Patrick, didn't meant to not reply. :)

Nothing was laid down prior to the wedding day. The disc of songs was actually given during the bridal prep. Even so, I was familiar with the song structure.

I believe I took around 3-4 hours editing this piece. Not a straight 4 hours, but broken down into segments whenever editing was possible. It was a 4pm ceremony and reception started at around 730p. By the time ceremony was over, I was 2/5 done with the timeline.

Some parts where I get down to editing:
in transit
group picture taking at the church altar (30+ minutes, a big thing for Filipinos)
outdoor portraits before the reception
cocktail hour
dinner.

hope this helps.

Cheers,
Jason