Cables for multicamera shoot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 4th, 2007, 09:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Cables for multicamera shoot

Hey everyone,

I am doing a couplf multicamera shoots in the next few months. I have 4 s-video cables, which I routinely use, and they work fine, but my runs are no longer than 100ft, so my degregation quality is not noticible.

For these shoots however, I will have some runs that will be longer than that, maybe even 200 ft. I am looking at converting to BNC for the longer runs. I know BNC and COax are similar in their design. Are they the same? Can I use Coax cable with BNC connectors and achieve a no signal loss over 200ft?

Any help here would be great!!

Bryon <><
Commandment #11- "Thou shalt Render as thou goest."

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" (Prov. 1:7)
Bryon Akerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 09:12 AM   #2
Major Player

Bryon, the coax cable you use with the BNC conectors is called RG59, and is only really anygood for 100m.
You can use an s-video cable for upto 250m with out any signal loss, it is smaller and lighter as well so will still be your best choice.

Paul
Paul Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 09:25 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Really... Everything I've seen online is the opposite. I can only find S-Video cables up to 150 ft. The adapters I've seen split the s-video signal into two bnc cables, one for Color, one for Brightness contrast, because they say that BNC can go 500m. Of course, I just need to go feet. I know we use BNC in the TV production I work with. I just need to know the specific type of cable I need to go with!

Thanks!
Commandment #11- "Thou shalt Render as thou goest."

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" (Prov. 1:7)
Bryon Akerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 09:41 AM   #4
Major Player

Thats it Bryon, its RG59 cable I know this for a fact as I'm a CCTV installer as well and we use BNC connectors everyday.

Paul
Paul Gallagher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques