Large Screen Display Options at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 7th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #1
Major Player

Large Screen Display Options

I flim approximately 20 local dance recitals throughout the months of May-June. One of the dance companies asked me if it was possible to display what we were filming onto a projection screen so the audience can see what we are filming.

This is not a request we have had before and I am not sure about what type of investment I want to make into this.

a) Does anyone have any experience with this?
b) What equipment do you recommend and approx. costs.

Thank you for your input.

Jon Schwartz
Owner, CA Video Productions
Biloxi, Mississippi
Jonathan Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 10:39 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Jon,

I've done this at two Skating Rinks for adult skating parties. They love to watch themselves.

Each Rink had their own projector and used a wall for the screen. 15' X 20' or so.

As it turned out, I set up my equipment close to the projector's input next to the sound booth. The projectors were on the other side of the rinks.

You can spend anywhere from $1,000 to $5,000 for a projector and a few $100 to $1,500 for a screen. How big do you want ?? Can you use a wall ??

Cost is mostly an issuse of how bright do you need ?? If the wall or screen can be well controled for light, then you can get by cheaper.

I've done this at horse shows too, but just used small screen TV's.

Check with local AV vendors to see what's available close to you.

Optoma, Sony, Mits, Epson are a few that come to mind.

Check for projector reviews to get better ideas on specific models.

Best Buy has a nice Optoma unit with an 84" screen for $1000 curently.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 10:55 PM   #3
Major Player

More info

Harold,

Thanks for the reply. I will not be able to use walls. So basically I am looking and projector and screen options. Thanks again.

Jonathan Schwartz
Jonathan Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:04 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Jon,

If you have a chance to check it out, that Optoma HD70 with the 84" screen at Best Buy, might work for you.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Schwartz View Post
Harold,

Thanks for the reply. I will not be able to use walls. So basically I am looking and projector and screen options. Thanks again.

Jonathan Schwartz
If you are interested, I have a Optoma DX605 with less than 15 hours on it that I will be selling. I bought it as a second projector for a job about a month ago (to match my first Optoma DX605) and haven't needed a second projector again. I have used it with a 10' screen and it looks great.

PM me if you are interested.
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #6
Major Player

Jonathan,

You may want to consider "contracting" the display of what you are shooting out to an AV company who does type of display all the time......and bill the client accordingly. This can atleast get your feet wet with the production end of things.....then perhaps purchase the gear later on if you see you are getting more jobs that require this service. Me personally.....I wouldn't run out to buy this type of gear for one single job unless the job was a big one, with a big pay check.

I'm not saying it is that difficult of a job to do, but like anything.....the first time you want things to go off without a hitch......which shows you can make this type of production happen to your client.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 11:50 PM   #7
Major Player

We do projection. Your setup will depend heavily on how much room you have in front or behind the screen, as well as the screen size. If you're working in a theater, I would say the smallest you'll want to go is 7.5' x 10'. Depending on how large the thater is and how it is set up, we have used as large as 18' x 36' for some larger pageants and award type shows (usually dual, 1 screen on each side of the stage. You can usually find good deals on Ebay. There are a couple of large video liquidation houses such as AVforsale, which are very reputable sellers. You'll want to get some Da-lite or Draper "fastfold" screens for portable use. Pull down screens and tripod screens are not meant for the type of use you described, nor will it look good (or professional for that matter).

Projectors can be very expensive. Someone mentioned the $1k - $5k, but that's for a small conference room projector. A real projector meant for real projection can cost many times that figure, but there are some good deals to be had if you're interested in a couple of used projectors. Try Ebay, but look at the used products on gearsource.com and see what they have. You'll want something in the 3000 - 5000 lumen range (probably a Sanyo or DP).

A couple of decent projectors and a couple nice screens could be had for around $6000ish if you find the right deal, but that may not be worth it for a one time deal unless you're going to rent everything out on a regular basis.

Someone mentioned contracting through an AV company.....Highly recommended. There are people out there that do this for a living (like us). It's not incredibly expensive to rent, and you can pass that bill on to your client and not have to worry about buying, setting up, tearing down, etc. Make it easy on yourself and stick to what you're best at.
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 01:38 AM   #8
Major Player

"Someone mentioned contracting through an AV company.....Highly recommended. There are people out there that do this for a living (like us). It's not incredibly expensive to rent, and you can pass that bill on to your client and not have to worry about buying, setting up, tearing down, etc. Make it easy on yourself and stick to what you're best at."

This is what I'm talking about.....unless you have a small crew.....lots of dough to purchase the "right" gear for the job....and the expertise to pull the job off flawlessley.....the above mentioned is a solid way to get this done.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 07:54 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Allen Rosenberger View Post
"Someone mentioned contracting through an AV company.....Highly recommended. There are people out there that do this for a living (like us). It's not incredibly expensive to rent, and you can pass that bill on to your client and not have to worry about buying, setting up, tearing down, etc. Make it easy on yourself and stick to what you're best at."

This is what I'm talking about.....unless you have a small crew.....lots of dough to purchase the "right" gear for the job....and the expertise to pull the job off flawlessley.....the above mentioned is a solid way to get this done.
I concur, having spent 23 years doing just that: specializing in staging events. Investment in the gear you need to fit your particular need is huge. Rent until it makes sense to own. I know lots of tricks. PM me is you want a more in depth discussion.

There are a lot of companies, both national and local, that carry an inventory to meet just about every kind of need. In most cases your will find a number of similarities.
First, they research the products they offer for reliability and durability. Second, their technicians are knowledgable, but do not ever take that for granted. Always, always nag until satisfied.
Third, the bulk of AV rental company revenues comes from the meetings and conventions industry, which is always associated with a hotel chain or an established venue (and they demand hefty commissions!).

You can contact any recognized hotel brand in your local area and be assured by asking, "please connect me to your audio visual office", that you will be speaking to a rental agent. If you rent from a hotel office, an event or exhibition centre, you will pay a premium because up to 50 % of their fees are commission to the venu. So always ask if the rental contractor operates a "street" operation. This is a separate division of the same company that offers the same services for potentially less cost because there are no commission fees. Just basic office rent and overhead.

In a dance environment you will be faced with installation issues (hanging a projector upside down on an electrical pipe) , long cable connections to computers, how to link to PA system, and being to start/stop on cue from a stage manager. The bright side is that most dance events have a cyclorama (a huge light blue curtain covering the entire back wall) which can be used as a screen. Potential savings here.
Old March 10th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks Again

I appreciate your replies and agree that renting would be the best avenue at this point. However I live in Biloxi, MS which is not the technology capital of the world. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to rent a projector and portable screen from?

Thanks again.

Jonathan Schwartz
Jonathan Schwartz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques